Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    42

    What's your Fox RP23 rebound set to?

    I recently bought a new Mojo SL and I am in the process of trying to get the suspension dialed in. I am no suspension guru so I am trying to figure out what other people set their rebound to on their Ibis Fox RP23. I will be getting my shock PUSHed when it is time for it's first service and the sticker shock wears off for my wife but in the meantime I am trying to set it up as best as possible.

    It seems that there are quite a few folks on this board that are very knowledgeable about suspension settings so I thought that I would try to tap into this vast stream of knowledge on MTBR.

    So my questions are, what is your weight with gear, what type of riding do you do and how many clicks of rebound do you use?

    I weigh about 173 with gear, ride aggressive cross country/AM, and trying to figure out if 3-4 clicks out from full open is really the best feel for me. I am trying to use all the settings to get a good sense of all the different feels of rebound.

    Thanks for your info and any advice!!
    Last edited by jimmyj1973; 05-08-2010 at 11:03 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mojobeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    106

    well it depends...

    I have mine set at 3 clicks out from full open. I'm about the same weight as you geared up, 170 and would describe my riding similarly.
    That being said, the trails I ride are rough and rocky, filled with baby heads and square edges. The shock has also been pushed (awesome well worth it).

    I probably run more rebound damping if the trails were smoother or there were a lot of jumps and drops.

    I think the most important part of setting the rebound on the rear is to get it to match the fork. For example if you are hauling through the rough stuff and the rear is bucking increase the rebound damping. If your fork packs up and feels harsh but the rear tracks well, speed up the rebound on the fork.

    Test it on the trail, ride a section over and over till you get the feel you like. When you get the settings right the suspension will work really nicely together and the ride will be very smooth.

    Keep in mind there is no "magic" setting that can be applied across the board to all riders and you may have to experiment and go with what works for you.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,038
    Yep, you're in the ballpark. I'm 165-170 geared, on fast rocky technical trails, running 2-3 clicks from full fast on a pushed RP23 w/ 152psi.

  4. #4
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    WFO. Maybe 1-2 clicks down of any, and the Propedal dial set to "1".
    Many people don't realize it, but even with the propedal lever in the off position the propedal dial still makes a difference.
    PUSH factory tune is the only way to go.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ecibis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    329

    had mine pushed

    And they recommeneded 3-4 from full SLOW. This setting was for very rocky larger hit type of trails.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,108
    According to TF tune in the uk, the first 5 or so clicks from fast do nothing much due to the shape of the pin that engages the rebound circuit.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    100
    I have mine full open and it still doesn't feel like it's rebounding fast enough for my liking. It seems to be handling fine, but could rebound just a little bit faster.

  8. #8
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,692
    I run mine at full slow and it's still not slow enough.
    I run 200psi+ in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    42

    Thanks...

    Quote Originally Posted by mojobeer
    I have mine set at 3 clicks out from full open. I'm about the same weight as you geared up, 170 and would describe my riding similarly.
    That being said, the trails I ride are rough and rocky, filled with baby heads and square edges. The shock has also been pushed (awesome well worth it).

    I probably run more rebound damping if the trails were smoother or there were a lot of jumps and drops.

    I think the most important part of setting the rebound on the rear is to get it to match the fork. For example if you are hauling through the rough stuff and the rear is bucking increase the rebound damping. If your fork packs up and feels harsh but the rear tracks well, speed up the rebound on the fork.

    Test it on the trail, ride a section over and over till you get the feel you like. When you get the settings right the suspension will work really nicely together and the ride will be very smooth.

    Keep in mind there is no "magic" setting that can be applied across the board to all riders and you may have to experiment and go with what works for you.
    That is great info, thanks for your feedback! After getting my shock where I think that I like it best I started to experiment with my fork rebound. I had it too fast when going down a technical stair step section and went OTB I guess that is a good indication that I had it set too fast!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    42

    Not sure about that...

    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    According to TF tune in the uk, the first 5 or so clicks from fast do nothing much due to the shape of the pin that engages the rebound circuit.
    That is interesting, I certainly can tell a big difference between full open and 2 clicks from full. This is on a 2010 RP23 w/ BV. So according to them the shock only has a few clicks that actually change anything?? I can feel the difference with out even riding, compressing the shock by pushing down on the saddle results in a noticeable change in the first 5 clicks.

    One other question, how many clicks does your RP23 have? The Fox manual says 8-10 clicks and from what I've read on the boards most say 8 clicks. Mine has 9 clicks. What gives???

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,946
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    I run mine at full slow and it's still not slow enough.
    I run 200psi+ in it.
    Somethings funny with your shock, good thing you're getting an HD

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,108
    The TF comments were based on 2008/2009 units.
    In terms of rebound (front or rear) the bet bit of advive I have had is to try to get the rebound to return to the sag point and not beyond. Ie compress the return to sagged position and not to overshoot. Think of a rally car on one of the big jumps. Launch squish return. If you bounce back and then wallow like a Cadillac, thats bad.

    Ever since trying to get my bikes to work like this I have had more traction, better control and almost zero arm pump. Bear in mind that it is very hard to get an RP23 to behave like this, Pushed or not and so I have recently been playing around with a coil.

    Also rebound, spring rate and compression should not be considered as separate unique adjustments, they all inter relate. Too fast feeling rebound can often be too high spring rate or too firm compression for example. Often riders will not like a well set up bike because they rely on a faster rebound to make up for technique issues in bunny hopping or jumping for example. I should know! I always have to resist the urge to fiddle with my settings in the parking lot. Adjust on the terrain you ride, not tarmac

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •