mtbr member
    Jul 2013

What's up with my Ripley's weight?

I'm trying to figure out if my build weight is fairly standard, or if something funny is going on. There is around 500g that I can't account for when trying to replicate the build on Competitive Cyclist.

Out on the trail, I don't really notice much difference between the Ripley and my 23 lb hardtail when I'm climbing, but the numbers guy in my is constantly annoyed by not having the math add up.

Weight with pedals was basically dead on 28lbs. Bike is in the shop getting my Enve's converted to 15TA and 142x12 so I can't go out to look at exact details.

XTR Triple
    XTR Brakes
    Fox Shock
    Fox Float 34 140mm
    KS LEV 150mm dropper
    Spesh saddle (220g)
    Straightline Pedals (520g)
    Stan's Arch EX wheels with the Speed Tuned hubs
    Ibis Carbon bars
    Ibis 3d stem
    ESI chunky grips
    Spesh Fast Trak 2.0 tires (unsure if OEM or the real deal)

My theory is that the Speed Tuned hubs are heaver than the 3.30 hubs, adding approximately 100g per wheel, the triple adding about 50g, the 150mm dropper adding another 50g, but the remaining 200 is a mystery!

Thoughts or ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I will say that I'm really happy with the build in general, so I'm not complaining!

aka dan51
    Tires are the real deal. When i got mine they were still on the Specialized backing plate.
    My wheelset on the special blend was either 2000 or 2100 grams. The Rapid and Arch rim are close in weight.
    Did you factor in weight for cables, zipties, stans fluid...

mtbr member

What's up with my Ripley's weight?

For the dropper you're only counting 50 gms? Is that 50g over other droppers? Its more like 400gms over an Easton rigid post

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    For the dropper, I'm counting 50 over the weight quoted on Competitive Cyclist when you build out a frame. That includes cables, fluid, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Are you running tubeless? If so, add 60g per scoop of Stan's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'd start with the assumption that Competitive Cyclist weights are not 100% accurate. If they are using manufacture stated weights, then it is very likely that the final tally will be off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I figured as much. It actually changes between browsers when I paste the same specs between them.

I'll weight it again once I get the wheels on to see what the difference is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For what it's worth my stock Arch EX 29 w/ Speed Tuned hubs setup for 15QR and 12x142 weighed:
    front: 858g
    rear: 977g
    = 1835g total (including Stan's tape + valve stems installed)

According to notubes.com, the Arch EX 29 w/ 3.30 hubs is ~1775g, but I have no idea if that's with tape, valve stems, and what type of axle setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well, I got the bike back from the shop, and it's actually heavier by about .3lbs. I believe it's from the tires however, because I am running a higher volume tire with more tread.

Oh well. It's not like it really matters, especially when I am 30lbs away from my ideal race weight.

Maybe if I can lose the spare bike around my mid-section I can do all the weight weenie stuff I want then

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    Maybe if I can lose the spare bike around my mid-section I can do all the weight weenie stuff I want then
    That's the spirit!

I'm a bit closer to my ideal weight, but there's a fair bit of fat I still need to convert to muscle. I try to remind myself this every time I fret about my HD reading 29lbs 15oz on the shop scale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The only thing your scale is good for is comparing parts you have to eachother. Scales can vary pretty drastically.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI