mtbr member
    Aug 2010

What stem length on HD?

Okay so I've had my HD now for 4 months and am loving it. One thing I'm thinking of changing though is the stem length. Currently got an 80mm and thinking of going down to 60mm to try and pick up better control over the front. I'm 5'10" and ride a large HD with Talas 160 fork.

What do other HD riders think?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    80mm

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This is a personal item and only you can answer your question. Maybe stop by a bike shop and ask if they have some stems to try for fitting purposes. I would start with that and see what works for you.

If it helps, I'm a 5'8" ish w/ a long torson (Med Bike). I settled on a 65mm stem (711mm bars).

Cheers!

mtbr member
    6'2" rider, XL frame, 740 mm bars, 65mm stem. it is all personal preference.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AlsTrance View Post
    Okay so I've had my HD now for 4 months and am loving it. One thing I'm thinking of changing though is the stem length. Currently got an 80mm and thinking of going down to 60mm to try and pick up better control over the front. I'm 5'10" and ride a large HD with Talas 160 fork.

What do other HD riders think?
    Im 5'11.5" and use a 70mm stem with a 720mm handlebar. Average torso, arms and legs and it fits me perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I ride a 70mm stem and a setback seatpost (Specialized Command Post Blacklite) and a 710mm bar. I'm 5'10.5" on a large HD. I prefer the control and stability of a short stem for descending, but the cockpit would have been too cramped without a setback post too.

aka dan51
    Got a 70 on mine.
    Ran a 60 for a long time, then a 45 for a short time, 80 for a short time.
    70 just seems to be the magic number for me.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Cool thanks guys. I know it's a personal thing but if I can get enough stats I might be able to save some $ by buying close enough to the right length. I might aim for a 70.

On a side note, given stem length seems to be one of the most common tuning parts why doesn't someone invent a 2-part threaded stem where the length could be adjusted by threading in or out one of the parts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I would try and find a good LBS who will let you buy one size and ride, and if still in mint condition and another size required swap for you at no charge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Personally, I'd go 50mm on a L at 5'10". I'm a straight average 5'10" person on a Med and run a 70mm and I wouldn't go longer just from a handling perspective. I also wouldn't run less than a 720mm wide bar. Bike's not meant to be a XC bike. Shorter stems encourage the rider to get more forward on the downhills and that gets the most out of the front wheel in cornering, while reducing the general risk of going OTB.

To each there own though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ^^^ Agree

5'10" on a Med with 65mm feels OK. Wouldn't like much longer. On a large I think 50mm would be good. Sometimes wish I got a large. . .

Easton Carbon Havocs are pretty decent and about 750mm. Don't think I could go narrower than 740 or so.

meh
    5'11" average proportions, with a 70mm stem and 27" bars on a Large is what i found to work best for me after trying a 70, 80 and 50mm