Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What size Ripley did you order?

Just curious what size Ripley people or ordering per their height. I'm at 5'9" and leaning towards a large with a 70mm stem. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to throw my leg over a medium, but a TBc with similar geometry seemed a little cramped.

aka dan51
    Hmmm, I was planning on just getting the same size as my Mojo and HD. Seems like they would probably keep sizing similar, but now I wonder. Might have to test ride one...
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm 5'11 and I'm on a Large Ripley with 760mm bars and 60mm stem. My saddle height is 77cm.

I don't think I would want a longer stem as the bike actually feels pretty big as is with the wider bars, more so than my Large LTc and Medium Spider Comp. The seat angle is fairly slack, so you feel nice and planted over the rear wheel which I prefer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Collin, in your opinion do you think a large Ripley would most likely be too large for someone at 5'9"? I would appreciate your opinion since you have thrown your leg over similar bikes. I'm starting to feel that I should wait for the medium.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm having the same battle...5'9" 32 inseam. Currently on a medium HD and feel it could be a little longer. I would be using the Ripley for more XC style riding and think a Large just might be the size for me and the style of riding I want it for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    5'6" and I'm getting a small

MSH
    mtbr member
    On the vast majority of other manufacturers I'm typically on a Large frame, but I ordered my Ripley in a XL. Compared to most manufacturers (one exception being Santa Cruz where I had a XL TBc) the sizing does appear to be small.
    429C, Jet9 RDO/Rip9 RDO, Turner's new Czar Large sizes have similar TT length, Stack & Reach measurements to the Ripley XL

I'm 6' and almost a 35" inseam. Saddle Height = 80cm. I do prefer a stretched out, XC cockpit. Both my old Titus RX29 and my Soulcraft 29er have 24" TT and I run 130mm stems on both. I never intended to run such long stems but Wobblenaught/Dartfish fitting I had years ago shifted cockpit way forward so necessitated the longer stem.
    Bottom line...On any new bike I need a mid-high 24" TT length to get back to running a normal stem length. On the XL Ripley I will still be running a 90-100mm stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I definitely think it depends on your desired setup, I prefer short stems and more of an All Mountain fit so the large works well for me.

I think that at 5'9, you would be fine on a large if you prefer more of an XC fit. The standover on these bikes are really low, so upsizing shouldn't be an issue unless you want your seat really low and the longer seat tube prevents it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm 5-11. Got a Large with 70mm stem and saddle height is 36 inches. Fits me perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgong View Post
    I'm 5-11. Got a Large with 70mm stem and saddle height is 36 inches. Fits me perfect.
    Is that 36" from the base of the pedal to the top of your seat?

Wondering if you had a side pic that you could post with you sitting on the bike?

MSH
    mtbr member
    Saddle height = 36"? How do you typically measure saddle height? I assume you aren't using Center of BB to top of saddle? If so, you have some crazy long legs!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

My saddle height is 28.75" from center of the BB on my large Tallboy and I'm running a 70mm stem.

mtbr member

Re: What size Ripley did you order?

Trailhead/Ibis will be STP this weekend. I may go check out which new bike I dont need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yep, I'll definitely be taking a trip to STCP this weekend. I'm just hoping that they have both large and mediums to test ride. As of now, I'm leaning towards a medium frame....

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    If yuo look at Ibis's website and go to their story or geo tab - they explain that they designed the ripley to have a longer TT and slacker HA than most of their other bikes fit.

Makes me curious about trying a medium as well, I'm at 5'9 with a lot of post showing, and I like the large SLR and large HD.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yikes, I am 5'9" and went with a medium. I rode a medium Mojo for 5 years, hope I am getting the right size. None around to try!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had a chance to throw my legs over a large Tallboy LTc and it seemed much bigger than the Tallboy C. I believe the LTc and Ripley both have similar geometry.

I'll post back after I test ride both sizes this weekend and give my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Looking at reach measurements on all three bikes the large Ripley should feel similar to your TB. I agree with the TBLT feeling big. The one I had for short while felt huge.

mdc
    mtbr member
    I'm 6ft- with a 31inch inseam and currently ride a large Mojo Sl w./ a 70mm stem. When I called Ibis regarding fit-they suggested getting the same size frame as I currently ride, and that the fit would be in-line with their other models. The only thing I am changing would be an 80mm stem, and wider, flatter bars- which should stretch me out a bit.

Bike should be in next week ( with a Fox 34)- I'll hopefully get it built and will be going on a quick Vermont trip to break it in- CAN"T WAIT!!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Is that 36" from the base of the pedal to the top of your seat?

Wondering if you had a side pic that you could post with you sitting on the bike?
    Sorry guys, I know it's been a while. Been off the boards for some time now. Too busy riding my Ripley

My saddle height is measured from the pedal axle to the horizontal plain of the top of my saddle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Surprised nobody bothers to use stack & reach measurements. They are a much more accurate way of transferring fit from one frame to another. For example I demo'd a Large TallboyC with a reach of 422mm. It felt a bit cramped so am happy to be getting an XL Ripley with a reach of 432mm, which happens to be 1mm off my current Niner Air9 scandium.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Curious...I usually go by TT length when deciding my frames which the mindset that I can always adjust by Seat post and stem length. When companies give reach numbers, are they taking into account the stem length as well? If so, anyone know the stock stem length of a Ripley Large? I think it's 90mm but not sure.

I've been toying with my stem and stack height for the past couple of weeks. I've been running a Tompson 70mm with Havoc bars (20mm rise). With a 140mm fork, the bars are still too high for my liking. So I switched out the stem for a Specialized 75mm -16 deg stem and it feels so much better....but I don't want a Specialized stem :P on my Ibis so I order a Syntace 80mm 6 deg with Syntace Vector Carbon High 5 bars. Hopefully that combo will work out for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    NOrmally I'm a b'tweener at 5'10 I usually go smaller and go with med frame (I ride a med TallBoy) but went with a LARGE Ripley and so glad I did.... they run "small" in my opinion...
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Curious...I usually go by TT length when deciding my frames which the mindset that I can always adjust by Seat post and stem length. When companies give reach numbers, are they taking into account the stem length as well? If so, anyone know the stock stem length of a Ripley Large? I think it's 90mm but not sure.

I've been toying with my stem and stack height for the past couple of weeks. I've been running a Tompson 70mm with Havoc bars (20mm rise). With a 140mm fork, the bars are still too high for my liking. So I switched out the stem for a Specialized 75mm -16 deg stem and it feels so much better....but I don't want a Specialized stem :P on my Ibis so I order a Syntace 80mm 6 deg with Syntace Vector Carbon High 5 bars. Hopefully that combo will work out for me.
    Here's an article I found in regards to reach and stack. Tech Center

Update on the medium Ripley -

At 5'8" and some change I find a medium Ripley with a 75mm flipped stem with 740mm bars to be the perfect size trail bike for myself. Coming off a large Tallboy C the Ripley feels so much more nimble and flickable on the trails I ride. I'm now killing a ton of my PR's on Strava as I get the bike dialed.

If my intentions were to use the bike for XC, I would definitely consider a large frame. As of now my I have a large Highball Carbon to take on that duty.

Hopefully more will chime in since the frame has been out for a bit.

mtbr member
    6'1 1/2" (187cm) and long legs. I find myself fitting bikes set up for people of 192-193cm height well, so no other option than an XL for me. Running an XL/21" Trek 29er with 638 mm TT today, and that does not feel long.

Wondering if XL will be long enough even with a 90mm stem and 740 Syntace High5 bars. Time will tell, but user portti is 191 and finds his XL fitting fine, so there is hope!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast