mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What size Ripley did you order?

Just curious what size Ripley people or ordering per their height. I'm at 5'9" and leaning towards a large with a 70mm stem. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to throw my leg over a medium, but a TBc with similar geometry seemed a little cramped.

aka dan51
    Hmmm, I was planning on just getting the same size as my Mojo and HD. Seems like they would probably keep sizing similar, but now I wonder. Might have to test ride one...

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11 and I'm on a Large Ripley with 760mm bars and 60mm stem. My saddle height is 77cm.

I don't think I would want a longer stem as the bike actually feels pretty big as is with the wider bars, more so than my Large LTc and Medium Spider Comp. The seat angle is fairly slack, so you feel nice and planted over the rear wheel which I prefer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Collin, in your opinion do you think a large Ripley would most likely be too large for someone at 5'9"? I would appreciate your opinion since you have thrown your leg over similar bikes. I'm starting to feel that I should wait for the medium.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm having the same battle...5'9" 32 inseam. Currently on a medium HD and feel it could be a little longer. I would be using the Ripley for more XC style riding and think a Large just might be the size for me and the style of riding I want it for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    5'6" and I'm getting a small

MSH
    mtbr member
    On the vast majority of other manufacturers I'm typically on a Large frame, but I ordered my Ripley in a XL. Compared to most manufacturers (one exception being Santa Cruz where I had a XL TBc) the sizing does appear to be small.
    429C, Jet9 RDO/Rip9 RDO, Turner's new Czar Large sizes have similar TT length, Stack & Reach measurements to the Ripley XL

I'm 6' and almost a 35" inseam. Saddle Height = 80cm. I do prefer a stretched out, XC cockpit. Both my old Titus RX29 and my Soulcraft 29er have 24" TT and I run 130mm stems on both. I never intended to run such long stems but Wobblenaught/Dartfish fitting I had years ago shifted cockpit way forward so necessitated the longer stem.
    Bottom line...On any new bike I need a mid-high 24" TT length to get back to running a normal stem length. On the XL Ripley I will still be running a 90-100mm stem.

mtbr member
    I definitely think it depends on your desired setup, I prefer short stems and more of an All Mountain fit so the large works well for me.

I think that at 5'9, you would be fine on a large if you prefer more of an XC fit. The standover on these bikes are really low, so upsizing shouldn't be an issue unless you want your seat really low and the longer seat tube prevents it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm 5-11. Got a Large with 70mm stem and saddle height is 36 inches. Fits me perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgong View Post
    I'm 5-11. Got a Large with 70mm stem and saddle height is 36 inches. Fits me perfect.
    Is that 36" from the base of the pedal to the top of your seat?

Wondering if you had a side pic that you could post with you sitting on the bike?

MSH
    mtbr member
    Saddle height = 36"? How do you typically measure saddle height? I assume you aren't using Center of BB to top of saddle? If so, you have some crazy long legs!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

My saddle height is 28.75" from center of the BB on my large Tallboy and I'm running a 70mm stem.

mtbr member

Re: What size Ripley did you order?

Trailhead/Ibis will be STP this weekend. I may go check out which new bike I dont need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yep, I'll definitely be taking a trip to STCP this weekend. I'm just hoping that they have both large and mediums to test ride. As of now, I'm leaning towards a medium frame....

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    If yuo look at Ibis's website and go to their story or geo tab - they explain that they designed the ripley to have a longer TT and slacker HA than most of their other bikes fit.

Makes me curious about trying a medium as well, I'm at 5'9 with a lot of post showing, and I like the large SLR and large HD.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yikes, I am 5'9" and went with a medium. I rode a medium Mojo for 5 years, hope I am getting the right size. None around to try!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had a chance to throw my legs over a large Tallboy LTc and it seemed much bigger than the Tallboy C. I believe the LTc and Ripley both have similar geometry.

I'll post back after I test ride both sizes this weekend and give my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Looking at reach measurements on all three bikes the large Ripley should feel similar to your TB. I agree with the TBLT feeling big. The one I had for short while felt huge.

mdc
    mtbr member
    I'm 6ft- with a 31inch inseam and currently ride a large Mojo Sl w./ a 70mm stem. When I called Ibis regarding fit-they suggested getting the same size frame as I currently ride, and that the fit would be in-line with their other models. The only thing I am changing would be an 80mm stem, and wider, flatter bars- which should stretch me out a bit.

Bike should be in next week ( with a Fox 34)- I'll hopefully get it built and will be going on a quick Vermont trip to break it in- CAN"T WAIT!!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Is that 36" from the base of the pedal to the top of your seat?

Wondering if you had a side pic that you could post with you sitting on the bike?
    Sorry guys, I know it's been a while. Been off the boards for some time now. Too busy riding my Ripley

My saddle height is measured from the pedal axle to the horizontal plain of the top of my saddle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Surprised nobody bothers to use stack & reach measurements. They are a much more accurate way of transferring fit from one frame to another. For example I demo'd a Large TallboyC with a reach of 422mm. It felt a bit cramped so am happy to be getting an XL Ripley with a reach of 432mm, which happens to be 1mm off my current Niner Air9 scandium.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Curious...I usually go by TT length when deciding my frames which the mindset that I can always adjust by Seat post and stem length. When companies give reach numbers, are they taking into account the stem length as well? If so, anyone know the stock stem length of a Ripley Large? I think it's 90mm but not sure.

I've been toying with my stem and stack height for the past couple of weeks. I've been running a Tompson 70mm with Havoc bars (20mm rise). With a 140mm fork, the bars are still too high for my liking. So I switched out the stem for a Specialized 75mm -16 deg stem and it feels so much better....but I don't want a Specialized stem :P on my Ibis so I order a Syntace 80mm 6 deg with Syntace Vector Carbon High 5 bars. Hopefully that combo will work out for me.

mtbr member
    NOrmally I'm a b'tweener at 5'10 I usually go smaller and go with med frame (I ride a med TallBoy) but went with a LARGE Ripley and so glad I did.... they run "small" in my opinion...
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Curious...I usually go by TT length when deciding my frames which the mindset that I can always adjust by Seat post and stem length. When companies give reach numbers, are they taking into account the stem length as well? If so, anyone know the stock stem length of a Ripley Large? I think it's 90mm but not sure.

I've been toying with my stem and stack height for the past couple of weeks. I've been running a Tompson 70mm with Havoc bars (20mm rise). With a 140mm fork, the bars are still too high for my liking. So I switched out the stem for a Specialized 75mm -16 deg stem and it feels so much better....but I don't want a Specialized stem :P on my Ibis so I order a Syntace 80mm 6 deg with Syntace Vector Carbon High 5 bars. Hopefully that combo will work out for me.
    Here's an article I found in regards to reach and stack. Tech Center

Update on the medium Ripley -

At 5'8" and some change I find a medium Ripley with a 75mm flipped stem with 740mm bars to be the perfect size trail bike for myself. Coming off a large Tallboy C the Ripley feels so much more nimble and flickable on the trails I ride. I'm now killing a ton of my PR's on Strava as I get the bike dialed.

If my intentions were to use the bike for XC, I would definitely consider a large frame. As of now my I have a large Highball Carbon to take on that duty.

Hopefully more will chime in since the frame has been out for a bit.

mtbr member
    6'1 1/2" (187cm) and long legs. I find myself fitting bikes set up for people of 192-193cm height well, so no other option than an XL for me. Running an XL/21" Trek 29er with 638 mm TT today, and that does not feel long.

Wondering if XL will be long enough even with a 90mm stem and 740 Syntace High5 bars. Time will tell, but user portti is 191 and finds his XL fitting fine, so there is hope!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm 5'10" with a 31.5" inseam and I own a large 650B HDR with a 65mm stem and I ordered a large Ripley with a 70mm stem, what I got was a medium Ripley with a 70mm stem. I was not happy at first that they sent me the wrong size bike but after the first ride it was not an issue at all, the geometry feels just right.

To me it feels just as good as my Large HDR; why? that's a good question, I think it has to do with the bigger wheels but that is just my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Ripley has a bit more reach and stack than the HD. I ride a medium HD and test rode both a med and lrg Ripley and found the med to be the best.....I was so sure that I wanted a large.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Go a size larger trust me i did

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I compared reach / stack and got an XL based on nearly same measurements as my well fitting L Niner Air9 scandium.

Very happy with fit.

mtbr member

Alixta - how tall are you? Inseam?

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm bang on 6ft, but no idea on inseam.

I can measure seat height if that helps?

mtbr member
    Just wondering. Seat height would give an indication :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ok will get out the slide rule when I can in the next few days. In the mean time here are some pics to show indicative seat height.

Ripley Picture and Build Thread

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So I'm a little confused now. I rode a tallboy lt large and it felt like the right size when I rode it. I also rode a ripley medium and it felt good too. The ripley felt quicker, maybe more responsive. Any recommendations or thoughts? Kind of a big differences between the sizes and not sure about which way to go. Btw...I'm 5'10" and 32 inseam.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You are right in the middle of the two sizes. I guess it will depend on if you like a smaller frame to huck more or a larger frame. Also will depend on what kind of top tube lengths you like, but that could always be adjusted by stem and seat post.
    So riders like to be more upright and others like to be more aggressive, so longer top tube lengths suit them. I'm 5-11, 33.5 inseam and ride a Large with a set back post and 80mm stem. If the Medium felt good, then why not just get that. If it is a little cramped, get a longer stem...thats what I did.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would go with the smaller wheelbase if I was between sizes and not worry about using a slightly longer stem. The Ibis is designed to handle a 90mm stem just fine. A shorter wheelbase always trumps a shorter stem in my book especially when dealing with 29ers.

Post in Ibis Forum Regarding Ripley Stem Length:
    Here's an pm I received from Hans that pertains to the OP's question. Hopefully Hans won't mind the quote since it's helping someone choose a proper size.

"Hi Alan,
    We were just talking about this the other day... The bike is amazing with a 9 cm stem. The front center is long enough that you still feel confident and secure (that's why people run short stems in the first place), but the ergonomics are better with the 9. You get more power and better cornering. I find it easier to ride up AND down the hills. I would recommend it without hesitation. It should actually fit pretty close to the large set up you rode, but be a little more nimble around the switchbacks etc. with the wheelbase of the medium.
    Take care,
    Hans"

BikeRadar Review Regarding Ripley Stem Length:
    Ibis Ripley 29 - BikeRadar

"Part of the reason the Ripley handles so well is that is has a short wheelbase for a 29er with that much travel," said Nicol. "You can't do that with a super-long top tube so you have to use a slightly longer stem than is currently fashionable.

"A lot of people think they like a short stem for handling but we don't necessarily agree. We think they like them for the feeling of confidence that they're not going to go over the bars when on the steeps.

"And we also think that's old news for a couple of reasons. One, a 120mm travel 29er fork and wheel is really long, so the fulcrum for going over the bars is much further forward than it was before. So you don't need a short stem to feel like you're behind it. Second, dropper posts have lowered your center of gravity while descending, further increasing your confidence that you're not going to go over the bars."

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So yesterday my wife and I demoed a medium ripley 120mm fork, 90mm stem with an xt build from Taboo Cycle in Kamloops. We shortened the stem when she rode it. The trails were in an area called "The Ranch" and were a combination of tight and twisty and long and flowy with a few deep dips into gullies and right back up and out. Trails were hardpacked clay with some loose gravel on top in a few places.

I'm 5' 9.5" tall with a 32.5" inseam and I currently ride a large mojo classic. Not sure if its needed but from armpit to tip of middle finger is 29.5" and from armpit to top of pants belt is 15".

I've demoed a specialized carbon fiber 29er and a giant trance 650b

What was apparent from the first pedal stroke was how comfortable this bike felt. It felt incredible, just turning tight circles in the parking lot and wheeling the bike before I started the ride. The ride was awesome the bike just wants to go and it flowed really well in the tight twisty track around the sage brush of Kamloops. It climbed extremely well though I did power out before reaching the top of some climbs. However when I went back and did the same climbs with my mojo later I was not nearly as close.
    It just felt light, nimble and quick, very quick. Its been said many times that it rides like a 26er, but with the 29er benefits, I'd have to agree. But the comment I like the most is that," it rides like a 650b on steroids", that's the quote I'm going with.

So to make a long story short, I am going with the medium
    My wife at 5'4" was amazed at the ride and would choose a small
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member

I am currently (4th ride) running a slammed 100mm stem non-inverted. 90mm made the cockpit om my XL too short and left an unbalanced impression. Also better weight on front wheel now, noticeable on climbs. 187cm/6 1 1/2" with long legs.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm 5 9 with 30" inseam. I'm on a M, 70mm stem 720mm bars. fits great. I've had M for all the Ibis's I've had....currently have an HD in M with 50mm stem and 740 bars.

I have access to an identically-built Ripley in a large and have ridden it but it feels just a tad too big for my taste.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by straw View Post
    So yesterday my wife and I demoed a medium ripley 120mm fork, 90mm stem with an xt build from Taboo Cycle in Kamloops. We shortened the stem when she rode it. The trails were in an area called "The Ranch" and were a combination of tight and twisty and long and flowy with a few deep dips into gullies and right back up and out. Trails were hardpacked clay with some loose gravel on top in a few places.

I'm 5' 9.5" tall with a 32.5" inseam and I currently ride a large mojo classic. Not sure if its needed but from armpit to tip of middle finger is 29.5" and from armpit to top of pants belt is 15".

I've demoed a specialized carbon fiber 29er and a giant trance 650b

What was apparent from the first pedal stroke was how comfortable this bike felt. It felt incredible, just turning tight circles in the parking lot and wheeling the bike before I started the ride. The ride was awesome the bike just wants to go and it flowed really well in the tight twisty track around the sage brush of Kamloops. It climbed extremely well though I did power out before reaching the top of some climbs. However when I went back and did the same climbs with my mojo later I was not nearly as close.
    It just felt light, nimble and quick, very quick. Its been said many times that it rides like a 26er, but with the 29er benefits, I'd have to agree. But the comment I like the most is that," it rides like a 650b on steroids", that's the quote I'm going with.

So to make a long story short, I am going with the medium
    My wife at 5'4" was amazed at the ride and would choose a small
    Hi mate...just reading through these posts and your dimensions match me pretty much perfectly so I thought I'd ask how the medium ripley was going?

I'm currently riding a MED Mojo SL, thought about a large ripley but perhaps I'm squarely in medium territory!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm 5' 9" and I am on a large. 32" inseam. It feels good to me, but I am sure I would be fine on either a medium or a large.

Being down in New Zealand, we don't have the luxury of demo days, so we have to work it out for ourselves Plus, there aren't many Ripleys around down here

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mcam View Post
    I'm 5' 9" and I am on a large. 32" inseam. It feels good to me, but I am sure I would be fine on either a medium or a large.

Being down in New Zealand, we don't have the luxury of demo days, so we have to work it out for ourselves Plus, there aren't many Ripleys around down here
    Man now I am confused...I'm in Canberra and apparently the nearest Ripley is in Adelaide!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bighittinglama View Post
    Man now I am confused...I'm in Canberra and apparently the nearest Ripley is in Adelaide!
    Yeah, the pickings sure are thin down this way eh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mcam View Post
    Yeah, the pickings sure are thin down this way eh?
    I've just done some measuring on my Mojo SL...

740mm crank centre to top of seat
    690mm centre of bars to centre of seat tube at top of seat level.

Also noticed I have a 100mm stem....perhaps I should be on a LARGE also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bighittinglama View Post
    I've just done some measuring on my Mojo SL...

740mm crank centre to top of seat
    690mm centre of bars to centre of seat tube at top of seat level.

Also noticed I have a 100mm stem....perhaps I should be on a LARGE also.
    I'll measure mine tomorrow, and let you know the measurements

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My Ripley is a Large, and it measures 700mm from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the level of the seat.

I'm 5' 9" with a 32" inseam. It feels pretty good (the bike, not the inseam.... LOL)

mtbr member
    Just to help anyone trying to determine the right size, here are my dimensions, taken in accordance with Competitive Cyclist's bike fit calculator:

Bike Fit Calculator | Find Your Bike Size | Competitive Cyclist
    All value in inches:
    Inseam: 32.75”
    Trunk 32”
    Forearm 13.5”
    Arm: 26.25”
    Thigh 23.5”
    Lower Leg 21.75”
    Sternal Notch 58”
    Total Height 70” (5’10”)

In my case I went with a large and it fits like a glove. My stem is 90mm long and I'm using the ENVE sweep handle bars (which sweeps backs several mm). My seat post is an Easton EC90 with a slight set back, although a zero set back would probably suffice, and I could probably shave 20mm off the stem and be even happier with the fit.