RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

What size HD for a 5'9" rider that doesn't want a long stem (50-65mm)

I'm currently riding a medium SL with a 90mm stem and 711mm bars. I'm right on the border for sizing and do not want to go too short for fear of a cramped cockpit with a 50mm stem. Just curious to see what people are running in my range.

It will mostly see aggressive trail riding and some lift assist.

I also heard that Lopes uses a large for DH. Isn't he around 5'9" too? I plan on keeping my mojo sl too, so I want the HD to be geared towards an AM/FR feel. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm 5'9" and the medium with a 90mm stem fit like a glove. Probably could have went to 70 or 80. You have to look at the TTube length........587mm for the medium and 604 for the large.

Doesn't the HD and SL have the same TopTube measurements? Throw a 50 on your SL and see how it feels.

Slothful dirt hippie
    It really depends on how you have that 5'9" spread out. I'm 5'8" and do more XC riding, but probably 33" inseam... the seat post on my Med Ibis 'classic' is out to the end but the reach with whatever stem it came with is perfect for me. If you had less leg and more torso, I could see bumping up a size.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i'm 5' 8", riding a medium with a 70mm stem. it is dang comfortable. have a wingspan of 5' 11" if that matters. i say go with the medium if it is your AM bike.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" with 31 1/2 inseam, about almost 6' wingspan. I test rode a med with a setback seatpost an a 90mm stem, then I tried a large with zero setback seatpost and 60mm stem, felt almost exactly the same. I ordered a large. I'm currently on a medium and I am too cramped.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    I'm 5'10" with 31 1/2 inseam, about almost 6' wingspan. I test rode a med with a setback seatpost an a 90mm stem, then I tried a large with zero setback seatpost and 60mm stem, felt almost exactly the same. I ordered a large. I'm currently on a medium and I am too cramped.
    Manchvegas, are you from Manchvegas, NH? I'm in Exeter. When you get your Lg, swing by Ft Rock. Would love to check it out. Where are you buying it? I bought mine through Wheel Power.

Thanks for all the responses too.

mtbr member
    yup, nh. I ordered mine from wheelpower as well. should be here by the end of august I'm hoping. Originally i was told end of july-beginning of august, but we all know how that's been going lately. I ride exeter usually only 2-3 times per year but keep in touch your more than welcome to meet somewhere, or I may get out that way. gotta get out that way to pick it up anyway, the night I pick it up I'm sure I'll be tempted to stop in an break it in at fort rock.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Just got back from 4 days of biking around Rossland and Fernie BC, absolutly fantastic btw. Had a chance to demo a large HD in Rossland and a medium in Fernie, both with stems around 70mm. First of all I could not believe how well the HD climbed, very stiff and responsive. Taking my 07 classic on the same climb it seems like I was riding a sponge and I had to go in a lower gear to make the climb. So now that I've had a taste of the champagne I want some more Even though I ride a large mojo with a 70mm stem the large HD felt too big and the store owner said I belong on a medium. Taking a medium for a ride in Fernie confirmed this. I am 5' 9" tall with a 33" inseam. From the middle of my shoulder to my finger tips is 31"
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    fitting a wider bar also compensates for running a shorter stem, try a 750 with a 50