Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

What should the next 5 models be?

Suggestions please...

What does the Ibis forum think the next 5 models should be?
    Thanks for any thoughts on this. We value your input!

Hans / Ibis

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    Ripley,
    Hakkalugi Disc
    Hardtail 29er
    HD Ripley
    Road Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    In order of personal preference:
    650b Mojo SLR
    29er Tranny
    Longer travel (140ish mm) Ripley HD
    "Super" Mojo HD 180mm - 200mm travel slacker angles

On second thought never mind. Don't think my credit card could take the pain.

mtbr member
    29er tranny with soft tail, haka disc, 650 mojo.

and a hot fire engine red color.

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    - Ibis DH bike would be awesome
    - While marketwise I'd like to see a 650b AllMountain rig at around 160mm, it probably would be too close to the current HD, so...
    - 650b at around 1400 to 150mm with slack angles

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just make the 160 HD with internal routing so I don't have to see the ugly cables running down the top of the upper tube of the bike anymore!

I's also take a 150mm travel 650b specific bike with slack angles for enduro racing!

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ripley
    650B SL-R 140 (650B spec geometry)
    Tranny with drops to accomodate gears or SS
    Disc spec luggi

Well Biked
    !70-180mm HD that's slacker and a longer front center.
    650b wheels if it satisfies the cries of the masses.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    650b HD
    DH bike
    Ripley 140

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    1) DH bike. It seems carbon DH bikes are starting to hit mainstream acceptance, meaning the public would be pretty excited about a new, (relatively) light, DW-link Ibis DH bike.

2) 650B SL-R. It seems most 140mm and below bikes are heading this way. Would be good to at least have a prototype geo spec'd out and tested. Some Interbike guys were pretty stoked on the Intense Cabine 27.5 (2012 All Mountain Bike Tests at Interbike Outdoor Demo | Mountain Bike Review | Page 9) and I think a 27.5 SL-R would be even better.

3) Tranny 29er. The HT 26er seems to be a dying breed. The traveling and SS versatility of the Tranny would be a nice addition to the 29er HT market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Oh and...

4) Internal cable routing for the SL-R, HD, Ripley. Ibis bikes are extremely clean and slick looking, except for the cable routing. Internal routing would just make them that much smoother looking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    A 26" HD140 with slacker headangle and slightly longer toptube, love my current HD140, but would love if it was a degree or 2 slacker and a 1/4 lower. Internal routing would be cool too and ISCG tabs. Oh and give us colour options for the decals, I know you did a custom matte black/orange for Lopes, a matte black/lime green HD 140 with the above would the raddest thing ever!!

A long travel 140mm 650b tranny, again ISCG tabs, switchable dropouts and a maxle, internal routing for dropper post. I love having a hardtail for winter and atm the current tranny just doesnt fit the mold I'm after, so a long travel tranny would be awesome!

screamer
    1. 650B something or other (would be cool to have limbo chips like the HD, to switch between 140 & 160, but with the 650B platform)
    2. 29" HT, similar geo concept to the Canfield Yelli screamy. Would work equally well for trail ripping or XC racing, depending on fork & build (double points for tranny removable rear tri & rack mounts for backcountry adventures)
    3. Hakka disc (same comment about rack mounts, maybe fender mounts also?)

Ripley HD & a DH bike seem like obvious markets, although not my particular cup of tea.

One crazy idea is to team up with a cheap China/Taiwan carbon frame manufacturer, and do a sort of retro-inspired city/randonee/gravel grinder bike. There are some beautiful city bikes out there in the $1200 (complete) range, and if Ibis could hit this price point (hence the suggestion of teaming up with someone to reduce costs) it would be great to see them draw on this part of their heritage. I just built up something similar myself (carbon on one frame), and it's a blast to ride (if a little hard on the eyes). One of these with Ibis' design sensibility would be just swoon-worthy. A sort of wet-winter, merino, hip-flask, mud-in-yer-eye kind of bike.

PS: why does MTBR automatically hyperlink when I write "backcountry?" I'm not a shill for them ... not my doing ...
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    650b Mojo HD 160 w/internal cable routing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    150mm HD w/slack geo designed around 650B, but 26er backwards compatible
    DH bike with high/lo settings for park days and race days
    Ripley HD to compete with the Tallboy LT - which is a damn good bike...
    4-5 in 650b trail bike with more "traditional" angles 68-69 HA, but angleset compatible
    *like others have said internal cable routing, I get nervous every time I throw my HD over my pickup pad w/the cables exposed at the top of the downtube, right where it contacts the pad...
    EVIL Uprising

mtbr member

Ibis cross-commuter

Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post

One crazy idea is to team up with a cheap China/Taiwan carbon frame manufacturer, and do a sort of retro-inspired city/randonee/gravel grinder bike. There are some beautiful city bikes out there in the $1200 (complete) range, and if Ibis could hit this price point (hence the suggestion of teaming up with someone to reduce costs) it would be great to see them draw on this part of their heritage. I just built up something similar myself (carbon on one frame), and it's a blast to ride (if a little hard on the eyes). One of these with Ibis' design sensibility would be just swoon-worthy. A sort of wet-winter, merino, hip-flask, mud-in-yer-eye kind of bike.:
    I like the idea of creating a commuter/townie bike that came with a double wheelset. Mix it up with a 650b and 700c combo. One set of wheels that work great on pavement, going fast. One set of wheels that handles the gravel roads, mild singletrack. A bit wider eh? A frame that supports the wider wheelset and has a fancy built in rack. Carbon and metal bits that look great and function well. A 100-120mm front fork. What would be really slick is a carbon belt drive. Both wheel sets would be internal gear hubs but with different gear ratios for a urban and city/county park runabout. Build in a flask or ibis specific gear tote, leather, with carbon cover flap. Disc brakes, maybe a couple of choices on handlebars. Go with a price point like budgie suggests.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    650b HD with170mm travel or just 26er
    Compact aero road frame with integrated seat post

And like others have said, internal cable routing!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    1. 650b HD 160MM (SHORTER CHAIN STAY) (INTERNAL CABLES)
    2. HD (" ")
    3. DH BIKE ( WITH GWIN LEADING THE TEAM)
    4. FREERIDE BIKE
    5. RIPLEY BELIEVE IT OR NOT

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    SL-R and HD with 650b optional dropouts.
    Super HD 200mm downhill bike.
    29er hardtail w/o removable tail.
    Bye bye Tranny and SL

Fine tunning: 0,5 degree slacker on SL-R, 1 degree slacker on HD, 5-10mm larger TT in all sizes, one more color option for HD, 50mm and 60mm stem options. 750mm handlebar on HD. Chain series matching buildkits series. Straight & firm grips. Pad contact adjuster on Formulas.

screamer
    Dbl post

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    commuter/townie bike ... fancy built in rack. Carbon and metal bits that look great and function well....different gear ratios for a urban and city/county park runabout. Build in a flask or ibis specific gear tote, leather, with carbon cover flap. Disc brakes, maybe a couple of choices on handlebars.
    Yup, (although I was thinking full rigid). I know it's out of the MTBR constituency, but this is a growing segment worldwide, and I bet they'd sell a shedload of these things in London, Melbourne, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Portland, San Francisco, Vancouver... Cities with lots of people who A) like bikes B) pay a premium for purdy design and C) have a disposable income.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Ibis tandems

I would love to see an ibis tandem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post

One crazy idea is to team up with a cheap China/Taiwan carbon frame manufacturer, and do a sort of retro-inspired city/randonee/gravel grinder bike. There are some beautiful city bikes out there in the $1200 (complete) range, and if Ibis could hit this price point (hence the suggestion of teaming up with someone to reduce costs) it would be great to see them draw on this part of their heritage. I just built up something similar myself (carbon on one frame), and it's a blast to ride (if a little hard on the eyes). One of these with Ibis' design sensibility would be just swoon-worthy. A sort of wet-winter, merino, hip-flask, mud-in-yer-eye kind of bike.
    Disagree, keep Ibis as a premium brand, let the others fight over the scraps. You have a great reputation for customer service and on a lower margin bike I could only see CS suffering.

1 bike to ride them all
    Here's four:

Mojo HD-X
    Travel: - Native 180mm, limbo chipped down to 160mm
    Uses: Aggressive trail, Park, Mini DH, Slope Style, Enduro, etc.
    Features: Adjustable headtube angle, low stand over height via T.A.C.C.B. Eccentric Linkage and possibly Clavis/ down tube mounted shock, locking rear maxle, internal cable routing where it makes sense, removable/replaceable wear plates that protect the frame in high frequency wear spots, ISCG mounts, 2.6" tire clearance... whew!

650b/29er Tranny - Add-venture
    Story: Weekday commuter, weekend ripper or Go touring, find some sweet single track, remove racks, set-up tent, change tires, go shred, come back, drink beer, avoid dudes with guns that want to rob you :-)
    Frame Mods: Tap non-drive drop out, derailleur hanger, and seat stay bolt (internally tapped) to permit rack mounting, tapered head tube, keep everything else same

Mojo DH
    Similar to HD-X but, lower, slacker, longer travel etc... Unless you guys have a g-box design up your sleeves.

650b Compatible Mojo SLR
    Travel: Native 140 - limbo chip down to XC race travel/geo
    Keep everything else as is but accommodate the next gen larger volume 650b tires

XS and XXL sized bikes in models that make sense.

Thanks Hans!!!

mtbr member
    Updated HD 140/160. Also a Downhill 180/160 HD. A Downhill HD not be a huge seller though.
    29er Tranny
    120 FS trail bike that does 26 and 650b.
    Updated SLR 140
    Disc Hakkalugi

I would think a second gen HD would be a big seller.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    29 tranny
    650b SLR

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    carbon BMX racebike
    29" tranny

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    So,Ibis,seems to be a lot of interest for something in a dedicated 650b.considering the Mojo is one of the top conversions,why not all over this? I am building up a dedicated 275er and as much as I would have liked it to be an Ibis sadly you offer nothing and would even hold off if at least you would anounce something in the works,really think you guys have missed a great opportunity 650b is here it's real it's here to stay!

Ibis Addict
    I would like to renove my dh bike!

I still waiting...

Enviado desde mi GT-I9000 usando Tapatalk

mtbr member

DH Bike

A DH BIKE.

Id even take a FR bike that was not necessarily meant to be pedaled anywhere so as to not compromise true rip-ability. ie. LOW BB and properly slack seat tube and HT angles, like a DW carbon version of the TR250..

mtbr member
    I really wanted my kids first bike to be a mini tranny or like a mini mojo hardtail (just because the frame on the mojo is so sexy). We had to settle for a trek.

mtbr member
    The ripley!
    Ŕ ripley with more travel
    650b mojo with 150mm of travel
    Tranny HD that can take a 150mm fork
    A lighter HD with cable routing for a reverb stealth

banned
    Feb 2012
    A 650b Mojo HD 160 with a rear triangle retrofitable to existing HD frames!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Steel Hakka with discs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Ibis Tranny 650b rear triangle

mtbr member
    Ripley HD (140mm)
    HD 650B (160mm)
    silk w/ disc (be prepared for hydraulic lines)
    lugi w/ disc (be prepared for hydraulic lines)
    tranny29er

and I promise to own all 5.
    Last edited by phoenixsun; 09-29-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

Living in a Wasted State
    Dec 2008
    Ibis is in an interesting position.

It seems like 1/2 the consumers who buy their bikes are some of the most ripping bike riders out there. Those folks who buy their products for the advantages of carbon construction, DW suspension, and a core brand image.

The other 1/2 are your riders who are 180 degrees in the other direction. Image driven riders who like Ibis bikes because they are "smooth", expensive, and look pretty.

I'm sure its very difficult to build bikes for one user group without alienating the other. They want/need 2x very different things. Hard to build bikes that are purpose built for both.

Bikes I think that would do well in the current Mtb market are...

1. An HD Ripley
    2. A DH race sled
    3. A short travel and light weight cross country machine built for pinners. Those who want aggressive angles and design but built around a 120mm fork platform
    4. Seems like Ibis could use a HT 29'er in their lineup. Don't kill off the 26in.
    5. Whatever 650b the market is clamoring for.

6. If I could actually predict what Ibis should be designing now to stay a market cycle ahead of the curve, I wouldn't be writing this post, would I?

With electronics making their way into suspension and drive train components and design in the coming years, I would like to see Ibis frames utilize the ability to shape carbon to help disguise, hide, and strategically place these systems to make them less invasive to a riders experience, and thus more likely to be adopted.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1. SL-R
    2. MOJO HD - Improve cable routing, red and black colour.
    3. MOJO SL-100 XC Bike
    4. MOJO HD-X 180-200mm Freeride with slacker angles.

THS
    mtbr member
    650b SLR

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Suggestions please...

Hans / Ibis
    Modular, convertible drop outs making low or higher BB heights, and for both 26" and 650b wheels, on the same bikes for all models. Or if possible, 29" and 650b wheels on some the same XC bike models.

XXL size for most popular models.

Continue the current Tranny, SL-R 140mm, and HD140/160, all upgraded with 26/650b modular drop outs. And the current HD could be 170mm optional with 26" wheels if a 2.75" stroke shock could fit in the center frame with some even tighter clearing mounting chips making a travel appropriate 14" BB height.

New models I think would sell well:
    1. rigid/hardtail, Tranny type frame, 29'er (with 650b modular drop out option, if possible)

2. 100 to 120mm travel optional XC racer, SL-R or improve the looks of the Ripley type frame, 29'er (with 650b modular drop out option, if possible)

3. 180 to 220mm travel optional FR/DH, HD type frame, with 26"/650b modular dropouts (g-box may be too heavy to be a competitive DH race option, and is probably best matched with a higher monopivot concentric chain-drive)

Internal cables would look nicer, but only if easy to maintain (can an internal hydraulic line ever be easy to maintain?).

I think the current frame geometry is fine, and having tapered head tubes with angled head-seats and modular drop outs would allow extreme angles, slacker or steeper.

Thanks for asking!

mtbr member
    Hello
    Perhaps the HD renewed with angles most current and 650 b ... this!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vald View Post
    Hello
    Perhaps the HD renewed with angles most current and 650 b ... this!

This!! But with 26" wheels and 150mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Hard core AM rig

What seems to be all the rage now is super capable AM bikes. The likes of Knolly chilcotin, firebird, Nomad. That's what Ibis is missing. HD with all it's versatility comes up short in this department. So
    1). Super capable Am rig with 170-180 mm travel, super plush descender, good climber and stiff and light frame Ibis is famous for. If you can design it around 27" wheels great but 26" would be perfect as well with much better tire choice especially if you give us clearance for 2.5 tires in the back
    2). DH bike is great for marketing but for 90 percent of people the above rig (see number1) is more then enough for park days

3). Good 20" kids bike. Full suspension and carbon if you can keep the cost down

4) great 24" carbon bike for shorter women and bigger kids
    5). Women's bike with even more attractive colors and design + xs sizes on all your models

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyam3 View Post
    What seems to be all the rage now is super capable AM bikes. The likes of Knolly chilcotin, firebird, Nomad. That's what Ibis is missing. HD with all it's versatility comes up short in this department. So
    Wrong!
    The HD is a better all around performer than the ones you mentioned. That's all.
    Last edited by mazspeed; 09-29-2012 at 05:46 PM.

The MTB Lab
    650B Mojo HD 160/140 - or maybe a rear triangle to retrofit
    Mojo HD 180

mtbr member
    The website STILL says, "Delivery Update: The Ripley 29 is currently in development..." Soooooooo, how about that one?
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    - 120 mm Ripley 29 is a great start.
    - 150 mm Ripley 275, please design a 27 from ground up and not a retrofit. Please no more cables above top tube or below bottom and a hole for Stealth routing. It would be awesome if the frame was more HD like in frame strength but understandably it would probably be a successor to the SL-R. Down tube and chainstay protection. Room for a piggyback and cagemount inside front triangle. An ENDURO(racing) slayer. I would buy this bike tomorrow.
    - I'd go for a 180 mm HD.
    - 29er Tranny for sure.
    - Keep and revise the Hakka - seems to be a quickly growing market and I guess if I would be hanging out with my cross buddies more I'd pick one up.

Lot of guys wanting both a long travel 27 and 29 but doesn't make any sense for a company to do both. It will be interesting to see what happens in the near future with long travel 29ers(130+) with the emergence of the 27s, and as much as I enjoyed riding a Tallboy LT, I see more efforts going the route of 275.

After 3 seasons on my HD I'm ****in' sold on IBIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But hurry up with that 275 because I'm buying a new bike next spring
    Last edited by robnow; 09-30-2012 at 11:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Suggestions please...

Hans / Ibis
    A meaner and revised HD that warrants the recent price increase that is plusher in it's travel, slacker front end, lower BB/standover and perhaps longer (wheelbase) with shorter chainstays if possible. Basically how it would run with a -1/1.5 deg angleset, but in stock format with adjustable geometry and 650b compatibility if possible for the converting masses (like Chilcotin, Rune V2). Basically, the bike should be a AM/Enduro/FR/mini-DH/trail killer that can still climb like a champ that it is.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    as mentioned

650b SLR
    slacker, lower, longer HD, maybe increased to 170mm

revised sizing across the range, either increase TT by about 20m per size, or cut an inch off the seat tube and rename them to the lower size
    for example, current medium HD with 17" seat tube becomes, small HD with 16" seat tube

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    1) Ibis Mojo DH bike - 200mm, lower BB, slacker 64-65 HT.
    While I use my HD for park rides as well (swap components), I would prefer having a dedicate DH bike with slacker angle that rips downhill. Most friends have carbon V10, but a light 8" bike would improve on the excellent HD with only 6". I need more rear travel - can't even get fox fork to do full travel...

2) HD rear triangle to retrofit 275 - multiple dropout to support 26/275 would be cool on most bikes. Running a TK 2.4 on front make a big difference vs smaller tires, so I can't image what 275 would do to my rolling over rough stuff.

3) SLR special blend - convinced 2 friends to get SL special blend instead of specialized bikes, and they love it. It's the best kept secret, which I'm not sure why.

4) XXL mojo bikes

but #1 by far

El Mirador
    SL-R 650 with custom color design.

mtbr member
    1. 650b 150 mm Mojo SL-R type bike (or lighter version of current Mojo HD in 650b 150-160 mm)
    2. Ripley 29 140 mm (or 130 mm)
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    1. Ultra light SL
    2. Ultra light SL-R

NAKED CARBON FINISH ON ALL MODELS

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    1) If resources are limited, please don't use them on a DH bike
    2) Please don't jump on the 650b wagon until it is fully initiated(if it is) - reevaluate the 650b in 2014
    3) HD165 - slacker HA, lower BB, shorter chain stays, will hold a water bottle INSIDE the frame, stainless cable guide rivets(sorry, had to)
    4) HD145 - basically a lighter duty version of the above HD165 with the same geo for those courses that require the same speeds but less bump, jump and drop gobbling
    5) A Ride 9 type shock chip like Rocky Mountain - custom tuneable geo
    6) Work on developing a stronger brand presence in the PNW
    7) More Dave Weagle!
    8) Sponsor/ambassador me

Not 5 bikes, but 2 bikes and 6 ideas!
    Last edited by JimEG; 09-30-2012 at 07:17 PM.

_____
    Jul 2007
    650b HD 160/140 with longer top tubes for those of us 6'3 and above. I'd love to be able to run a 70mm or even a 50mm stem on my XL HD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEG View Post
    1)
    3) HD165 - slacker HA, lower BB, shorter chain stays,
    4) HD145 - basically a lighter duty version of the above HD165 with the same geo for those courses that require the same speeds but less bump, jump and drop gobbling
    This, but make it one bike that allows for change to both travel settings like curent HD.

My only qualm with current HD and why I didn't end of buying in the end (even though I absolutely loved how the bike pedalled/accelerated and handled) is that it needs to ride some lower (without having to run near 40% sag or more) due to high'ish, near 14" BB and progressive nature of DW-link'ed travel. Current model is decent and sufficient for general techy trail riding I suppose, but needs a little more aggro slant for more shredability capabilities, especially on today's "flow trails" that are popping up more and more around the country/world and are a blast to ride! For those that want the higher/taller/steeper setting for added security, a adjustable geomety setting would be good to suit these folks. In the end, a DW-linked bike does not need a >13.5" BB at all, even on varying chunky, techy terrain like in Whistler valley and SW USA due to it's progressive nature.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Lugi Disc
    29er Tranny
    650b SLR
    Mojo DH would be cool, but seems like investment would be too great for such a small market... Updated geo (lower/slacker) on the HD with coil and 180mm fork option seems much more versatile.
    Release the Ripley,
    And yer set!!

Cassoulet forever !
    I would buy a Ripley in 140mm front & rear, 68,5° head angle and low BB, compatible with a stealth seatpost, internal cable routing and with the same weight as the cube stereo !
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Updated geometry on HD. I know it's geometry is similar to what's out in the market but a lot of riders want slacker and lower BB. I've read enduro riders going as slack as 65. I've got an angleset, offset bushings and still would like the bike slacker and lower. 66 degree HT with sub 13.5" BB would be nice regardless of tire size. Im at 13.75 with a -1 degree angelest and offset bushings.

I know 13.8 is the advertised BB now but realistically with common HV 2.35 tires your up in the 14" range. With a 180 fork your probably at 14.5 or higher which is way too high. I was almost tempted to go with a blur trc since the low BB and relatively slack HT for a short travel bike makes it so fun to ride. It just didn't have enough travel for me. I have a DW DHR with a 13.5 BB and don't have problems with pedal strikes because of the DW and wish the HD had the same BB height. It would be nice to run a 170 or 180 fork with a 13.5 BB height.

mtbr member
    I actually like the DW link on the Ibis. I owned the original Ibis Mojo. However the geometry on most of the Ibis bikes leans way too much toward the cross-country side. The need to be bit slacker and longer wheelbase.

If Ibis could make a 140mm trail bike similar to Stump Evo geometry that would awesome.

Whatever you make - it needs ISCG tabs. Even trailbikes are going 1x10 or soon 1x11. I am not a big fan of the press in bottom brackets. I immediately ignore any bike with this feature.

mtbr member
    650b tranny would still fit in a checkable 26x26x10 S&S case!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    In order of market size:
    1. 150mm 650b (I have no interest in this but you'll sell as many as you can make until the "next" standard is dry humped by the industry)
    2. HD with pure super enduro updates! Slacker, steeper seat tube, shorter stays, internal routing, bb92 w/ iscg9er
    3. Tranny 29
    4.Hakkalugi Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I love that you are even asking!

I've been telling people that a 650b Mojo HD (could be 150mm, really) with lower bb and a bit slacker head angle and ripley style suspension will be my next bike, to replace my current HD which I love. Hope that comes true!

Lower bb, that would be the most important thing for me. It's the key ingredient that would tempt me away from my third Ibis into something else.

mtbr member
    HD 180 with a more slack HA at 65
    Updated HD with slacker HA at 66 and replaceable dropouts for swapping from 26 to 27.5
    A slack version of the SL-R, 67 or 66 HA, light weight Enduro race killer
    Slack long travel Ripley
    HT with replaceable dropouts from 27.5 to 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Short Travel 650b trail ripper!!!!!!!!!! Arguably, the most "fun" bikes on the market right now are the Santa Cruz Blur TRc, Rocky Mountain Element MSL, and Transition Bandit -- i.e. low BB, shorter 130mm or less rear travel, and 68 degree head angles. These are bikes that you really can keep up climbing with 29er race bikes because they are lightweight and you can really hammer the pedals, but they are sooo much more fun to descend with. Ibis does not have a bike in this class. SLR is close, but there is something more playful about the slightly shorter travel bike that I really love. It's also the area that I think would be absolutely perfect for 650b.

Outside of that, I'd like to see the tranny in 29er flavor, a Hakkalugi Disc, and a mini-DH style HD - 180 mm rear and designed for a dual crown fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyam3 View Post
    Sorry, but this is the one of the more bizzarre statements I've ever seen on MTBR. I won't quibble with someone that prefers the Chilcotin, Firebird, or Nomad to the HD. They all feel different and will naturally attract different preferences. But the idea that the HD is less capable than the others is completely absurd--I've never seen or hear of anyone coming to any feature, up, down, or flat, on any of those bikes (HD, Nomad, Chilcotin, Firebird, Enduro, etc., etc.) and say "dang, this bike is not capable enough for this, if only I had a different model."

mtbr member
    Love that Ibis asks!

1. Internal cable routing, especially for dropper seat-posts.
    2. 29ner Ripley and a hard tail. (even though I would never ride one)
    3. 650b specific
    3. DH bike, with all the growth with bike parks, don't think it's too small of a niche market.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    DH Bike!

Another vote for a lower, slacker HD by means of a new rear end for existing frames or a new 150-170mm travel bike with longer top tube.

Hover bike

mtbr member
    Most of all, I'd like an updated HD with
    -the eccentric linkages from the Ripley (to save weight)
    -drop the limbo chip system (to save weight)
    -650b compatibility (and prefab builds from you guys) via switchable dropouts (to put some weight back on!)
    -internal cable routing
    -ISCG05 tabs
    -pressfit BB (30mm axle compatible)
    -44mm headtube (just for kicks)
    -slacker front end (66°sounds about right)

I'd also love a 650b update for the SL-R, I guess you would need a new rear triangle for that though.

I think Ibis could do an amazing urban bike, with a rigid fork, options for flat bars or drop bars, semi-fat tires (700x38c), disc brakes, 1x10 drivetrain but hard hitting and could take a beating (i.e. not a road bike). A bit racy but can also take fatter tires for easy trails. Market it upscale and keep it super light. I'd drool over one. Share the frame with an updated Hakkalugi disc!

Tranny 29er seems an obvious update. 120mm fork compatible for trail-capability.

Oh and a DH bike, I'd loooove to see what that would look like.

Technically six bikes but do them please, I would want every one of them

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Wanted: The Mojo 275: 650b, xc/trail, 110-130 DW Link.

Needed: Fox to get on-board to push the shorter travel 275 xc bikes to production. Fork ya!

mtbr member
    Titanium 650B rear/ 29er front Szazbo w/ 150 mm travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    "SL-A" (A for all mountain)
    1. 67.5* - 68* head angle
    2. 650b 2.4 tire compatible
    3. internal cable routing
    4. sub 5.7 lb frame
    5. 150mm travel

"This is all I want", I forfeit my other 4 choices!

Thanks for listening Hans!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Aloha Hans,

I'm more on the "descending side" with uphill/pedaling options ;-)

Simply a HD fan - my opinon: 2012er frame = nearly perfect and next 3 years quite a highlight on the trails

BUT (!!!) think about a small "high-end solutions" for a "high-end" frame

- better cable routing and mountings (these sharp carbon things....)
    - a better chain guide like new BMC Fourstroke or Syntace/Liteville 601
    (WITHOUT thinking on which crank a have to use for a damn chain guide on DW link)

and last but least non-technical: custom coloured HD

After nearly 1 year riding HD - COOL !

Ciao

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    #1 Ripley 140/140 travel with progressive geometry and frame + shock below 2.1 kg/4.65 lbs, complete bike sub 10 kg/22.05 lbs. It can't be done? Cube have already done it, but they don't sell bikes in the US. Way to go!

- The geometry, the handling, rigidity, suspension and drivability are just super. Even after extensive trips I have simply nothing wrong - to me that is very close to the simply perfect all-mountain 29er.
    CUBE Stereo Super HPC 140 (29er)

# 2 Silk and 'lugi with disc
    # 3 Mojo Ti with updated geometry and 2.4" tire clearance
    # 4 Mojo SL-R sub 2,0 kg, ecc-link and tire clearance, stiffness etc. like HD
    # 5 You must be able to come up with something on your own?

Seriously, you already have five new bike projects running and this thread is just for fun and pseudo involvement, right? I hope so.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't care so much about the details. Rather, I'd like to see some sort of new innovative application of existing technology that starts a new trend in mountain biking kind of like the originality of the first mojo trail bike with 140mm of travel and carbon fiber. I'd like to see something more than just obvious improvements that are very much based in current designs e.g. SLR is just a better SL, but it's not very different from the paradigm.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1. Longer travel, slacker Mojo HD! Six inch trail bikes are awesome. A seven or eight inch trail bike must be better. Keep it around 30 pounds. Adjustable travel if necessary for climbing efficiency. It's the all mountain enduro evolution. I can't wait.

2. 10" DH bike. Comparable to the V10. Enough said.

3. 80-100mm x-country race bike (29er or 27.5). Guaranteed to sell like crazy.

4. Revising existing mojo slr and mojo hd (or making new bikes with) with eccentric links. (Assuming the Ripley proves them to be superior.)

5. 29er or 650b tranny. Hardtail and 29er are pretty much synonymous in my opinion.

The longer travel HD is really where it's at, though. Everyone knows that Fun is a function of climability and shredability coupled with schrompability. I have visions of 25 pound 10" bikes that climb like cross country racers.Go-go-gadget Downhill Bike! Guaranteed to get you laid!

Thanks for asking.
    Last edited by circlesuponcircles; 10-01-2012 at 09:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    650b SLR.

Carbon Snow/sand Fatbike, full suspension, based around the basic 4" wide tires already on the market.

Disc brake cross bike. (many people justify owning one as a commuter)

Switch the tranny to a 29er, with clearance for the fattest tires on the market.

Update the Mojo HD with 175mm travel, keep it light. 650b compatible. Target the growing "enduro" market.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Not personally an owner (yet) just a wanter of an Ibis, but I would love to see:

1) 160mm 650b specific HD
    2) XXS (something with 27" or lower standover) offered for one of the Mojo's. My wife loves your bikes but she's just too short to make it comfortably work right now.
    3) Internal cable routing on all mojo's

with that said, I love your bikes, and am eagerly awaiting the chance to own one in the next couple years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just a couple of bikes and a couple of ideas. I see 29er and 650b all over the forums and in the shops. Not so much on our local trails.

1. HD Special Blend - would absolutely dominate the market
    2. Disk compatible Haka. Cross riders could ride pogonip after the rains hit.
    3. SL-R with 650b option - just something I'd like to try out.

1. Custom paint plan - love the tranny copper for my SL-R
    2. Trade-in and up plan for Ibis frames with a certified used frame shop.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Geez, you 650B guys are just like sheep. 8 months ago still you would be wanting 29ers! 650b is for kids.

So here is my list...
    1. Ripley 80mm race bike
    2. Ripley 100mm XC bike
    3. Ripley 120mm trail bike
    4. Ripley 140mm AM bike
    5. 29er carbon race hardtail.

mtbr member
    Don't really have any use for a DH bike , or any of this big wheel propaganda for that matter. I'll take one of these though..

Mojo HD+
    180mm
    Lower BB height (adjustable with chips?)
    Slacker adjustable HTA (chips again?)
    1.5" straight headtube
    Internal dropper routing

Examples: Chilcotin , Rune V2 , Enduro Evo

I quit e-MTBR
    A 29er HT is the only gaping hole in the Ibis line-up, IMO. Not a 29er tranny, but race-oriented and mojo-beautiful. So that's #1.

Beyond that, I agree with the thrust of what many already have said, that updating the existing line (esp. slacker HTAs on HD and SLR) is important than developing new models.

But you asked for 5 models, so here're my other 4:
    2. DH bike. It would be a departure for you guys, everything you've done has shaded towards the XC end of its spectrum. But it's the new model I'd want most.
    3. Ripley HD.
    4. Women's HD or SLR.
    5. Some sort of 650b something or other, I guess.

mtbr member

Ibis Swiss Army Knife

I have three...

1. Mojo HD 140 650b Specific (with enough clearance for 2.5" or wider tires)

2. 650b Hardtail that looks like a vintage twin bar bike.

3. Ibis road bike with disc brake setup.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

It's the axle

Eccentric linkage on the Mojo.

Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Honestly i love the HD as is. Lots of calls for slacker angles/lower bottom brackets - both of which you can achieve with anglesets and shock bushings. Even internal cable routing is a matter of personal opinion, personally i'd rather have them where i can get at them easily.

I would only change two things:

1. Redesign the rear linkage - currently the tolerances are so tight that trail debris gets caught in there and just rubs up against the frame damaging the carbon. What's more it easy to get small pebbles caught in the lower link - when the suspension compresses whatever is caught in there is crushed against the carbon. This can result in significant damage (speaking from personal experience).

2. Lower the stand over height a little

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    1. 650B 130 to 150mm HD chip system
    2. or a ripley style 650B 140mm short chainstay at 16.75" slightly longer top tube in a Large at 24-24.25
    3. Finish the ripley 120mm
    4. maybe the Ripley 140mm

Lightly salted
    1) Mojo hd 140/160 with 66* head angle @160. Improved cable routing, no more cables ontop of the top tube and no more cables on underside of down tube. molded in cable mounts like the sl-r, no more rivits!

2) Mojo sl-r with 67* head angle and improved cable routing. No cables on top of top tube or bottom side of down tube.

3) Ibis DH bike, carbon and lower priced aluminum version of the same frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Update HD:
    1. Same carbon process as the SLR!!
    2. 66.5 degree HA
    3. 2x10 as standard option
    4. Better Cable Routing

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Better shock choices on the HD like DB-air or Monarch, I wasted a lot of time trying to get the RP23 dialed in.
    DW link 2.0.
    Lower BB height
    Touch up paint that is a closer match to Vit. P.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Don't go 650b, way too much marketing ******** for little gain, dial in the geometry for 26" wheels and 29ers and leave it well alone.

A proper trail bike, rather than the sl-r is needed. I don't need the strength of the HD, but got a HD140 because of thr sl-r's lack of iscg tabs and steep geometry. If the sl-r could be modernised with iscg tabs and a 67/66 degree headangle, sub 13.5" bb and a longer toptube, and routing for a stealth reverb, it would be perfect for me, I feel the HD140 is overbuilt for the riding its likely to doing.

mtbr member
    Ripley
    Ripley HD
    HD 650b
    Tranny 29er

Hurry slowly, please :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would go for
    1. Tranny 29er
    2. SL-R 650b
    3.Ripley HD/enduro

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1) Ignore the noise about "slacker/lower" equating to "more modern". Don't change the HD. Make a dedicated park bike if you must, but don't ruin something that is already great for what it was intended for.

2) 650b SL-R with 130mm travel

3) Disc brakes for cross and road bikes.

OriginalDonk
    It sounds like plenty of feedback for Hans and the crew to kick around. I personally look forward to seeing how the Ripley looks as a Marathon rig and wonder what Ibis is going to do with their trail/all-mountain offerings that appear to be the focus of most comments here. The wheel size shake up should keep next moves interesting.

I think it might be helpful to see where the other DW-Link licensing companies are headed to inform how Ibis positions itself. It looks like the Ripley is in a unique space at 120mm of travel efficient rig like the original Mojo was at 140mm before the Mach 5 and 5-Spot showed up (though they were notably heavier and alloy). I've heard rumors that Turner may be releasing a 100mm DW-link 29er carbon XC race bike that should be a hit. They've stopped production on their 26" 120mm Flux. I've heard lots of buzz about Turner's 140mm 650B burner. It seems like Ibis could make some waves with a dedicated 140-150mm 650B with the revised DW linkage and a svelte frame weight.

It looks like Pivot has been carbonifying their lineup progressively with the Mach 5.7c and 429c. The 5.7c is going head to head with the SL-R and it looks like the 429c might be in a different space than the Ripley will be. Dave Weagle has been tweeting about receiving a new Pivot proto, that may be a Firebird carbon or possibly some kind of 650B.

Pivot and Turner have positioned themselves in the slack and low market space. I guess Ibis needs to work out whether they want to go that route or keeps things where they are at slightly steeper and higher. Are these other companies going to get ahold of the revised eccentric DW-link as well?

I'm sure Ibis will do as they please. My list:

1) A disc Hakka with 135mm rear spacing for cross seems like a clear option. Not sure if people will be throwing down cash on the canti Hakkas anymore.
    2) It sounds like a 150mm 650B specific Trail/AM frame would be a winner. Something redesigned from the ground up. Nothing from Pivot in that space yet and Turner's Burner is at 140mm.
    3) I'm not sure a Ripley HD is feasible given the revised DW but squeezing ~140mm out of the linkage would likely be a hit if it clears wider rubber.
    4) It seems like the AM-Park riding segment is growing significantly and may be a better investment than other options (continuing the Tranny or jumping on the Road disc at this point).
    5) As much as I'd love to see a 100mm race rig from Ibis I think the 429c and this rumored Turner (along with the SC Tallboy and every other offering) may make that segment a bit crowded unless the Ibis can differentiate itself in some way (revised DW-Link or other).

Appreciate the chance to weigh in Hans. Look forward to seeing what's in the pipeline.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    140mm 29er
    650B specific frame (150 or 160mm)
    Disc Lugi
    29 Tranny

and a DH Frame for ED
    Last edited by Shane_CA; 10-04-2012 at 01:28 PM.

08 Master DH World champ'
    Hi to you all at Ibis !

So ... happy owner of a Mojo HD ... and in need for 2013 of a full racer carbon DH frame ... my choice would be :

-1 DH frame
    -2 or perhaps a DH frame
    -3 if not, why don't consider a DH frame ?
    -4 but probably already too late for 2013, so for 2014 guess what ? A DH frame !!!
    -5 Eventually a slackened Mojo HD (achieved with a Works Components headset)

Then we could see ACC doing (winning) a few world cups, and me having 2 Ibis at home !
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams ...
    05 DH French champ'
    08 DH World champ'
    10 DH Euro champ'

Just another half mile...
    A longer travel Ripley with 135-140 mm travel with 69 to 69.5 HA for us tall people. I am 6'2" with long arms and legs and 29ers fit us tall people better and there are not that many choices in the longer travel carbon 29er. Lots of <100mm carbon 29ers. The terrain is AZ screems for longer travel and I have been pushing the limits of the Sultan for the last several years wishing for more travel without gaining weight. I couldn't wait any longer and pulled the trigger on a Tallboy LTc, however if the Ripely came out in the same travel range, I would trade in the LTc due to the better DW link design. Also waiting for the Ripley to come out for my spouse, who is currently riding a Mojo for the last three years and loves, but wants to get the Ripley to roll over the chunk better.

Suggestions please...

Hans / Ibis

08 Master DH World champ'
    Not sure I was clear ....

a DH frame from you would be perfect !
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams ...
    05 DH French champ'
    08 DH World champ'
    10 DH Euro champ'

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ED young master View Post
    Not sure I was clear ....

a DH frame from you would be perfect !
    Blablabla

No, I think the best choice would be a
    DH frame (not for me but for ED )

DILLIGAF