Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSkiParaglide View Post
    Incredible Culture at Ibis... almost as if it's "for the people, by the people"? ... with Leadership to have the wisdom and humility to listen.

Sounds like what many of us are saying is that maybe four Tribes of Ibisians could be satisfied with two frames? All options would have 650b compatibility, and fine tuning flexibility for individual tastes.

The HD frame would have two flavors:
    1. HD-D: primarily Downhill, more travel, slacker head angle
    2. HD-A: Downhill~All Mountain, as it is

The SL frame would also have two flavors:
    1. SL-A: All Mountain~Trail, 150mm travel, 67.5* head angle
    2. SL-R: Trail~Cross Country~Race, 140mm, 68.5* head angle

As popular as pointing the bike downhill is becoming, it's my prediction that the SL-A will be the sweet spot for as many people world wide, if not more... I have an SL-R with minus 1* headset from Works Components - Angle Headsets to fit Most Frame Types & CNC Bicycle Components Proudly Made in the UK . The impressive lightness & efficiency uphill, are now matched by even better downhill capability. This headset has fewer moving parts than adjustable headsets, and no creaks, so I wonder if this technology is a way to give us reliable/strong adjustibility? Or could Ibis develop their own system to make a head tube that has two settings?

By the way, thanks to everyone at Ibis for the incredible bikes they've ALREADY given us!

IBIS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thread Hijack, sorry!
    WHat fork length are you running and does the slacker angle impact climbing noticeably?

Thanks

08 Master DH World champ'
    Quote Originally Posted by Trashcanmike View Post
    Thread Hijack, sorry!
    WHat fork length are you running and does the slacker angle impact climbing noticeably?
    Thanks
    My choice : 170 Deville front = 555mms + WC headset -1 ==> 65.5
    Absolutely no problem with climbing, can even say it's better uphill too.

Just recently, put a -1.5 headset, still have to see how it goes, but don't worry too much !
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams ...
    05 DH French champ'
    08 DH World champ'
    10 DH Euro champ'

the refurbished one
    and for anglesets it would be nice to have center marks on the headtube.
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    7 inch travel 650-b HD.

mtbr member
    If you ( Ibis ) decided that 26 is dead:

Tranny 29 front 120mm
    Ripley 29 full 120 mm ( as its is )

Mojo SLR 650b 140 mm
    Mojo HD 650b 160 mm
    Mojo HD+ 650b 180 mm ( 2 models or a 160 mm chippable )

Angles and specs as you from Ibis do since always.

Ciao

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSkiParaglide View Post
    Sounds like what many of us are saying is that maybe four Tribes of Ibisians could be satisfied with two frames? All options would have 650b compatibility, and fine tuning flexibility for individual tastes.
    Exactly! Add in the options of wheel size, adjustable headsets, and eccentric shock mounts, and the possible variations are huge. The Ripley eccentric bearing's low weight and small size give Ibis new flexibility to balance compromises like chainstay length vs 650b tire clearance, or strength enough for longer travel vs low weight. Think 16.8" chainstays with 140-160mm of DW travel and plenty of clearance for the fattest 650b tires......damn baby. Or a burly 170-180mm all mountain/DH bike w/ 6-ish pound frame.

I also think Ibis should take eccentric shock mounts into account in future designs as well...maybe even offer their own. Or maybe modular dropouts are a better way to address that. Regardless, the larger point is that versatility and tuning options have proven to be one of Ibis' strengths, and it could be taken much farther. You know you've achieved cult status when there's an aftermarket for custom tuning parts growing up around your product.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I run the 150mm Talas, only had a couple of rides with the Works headset and been totally focused on the benefits downhill... but have not noticed any "price" to pay uphill. This week I'll pay better attention and compare to my old Mojo C with a 140mm fork with no angled headset.

Just let go. Let go!
    Quote Originally Posted by vittorio64 View Post
    If you ( Ibis ) decided that 26 is dead:

Tranny 29 front 120mm
    Ripley 29 full 120 mm ( as its is )

Mojo SLR 650b 140 mm
    Mojo HD 650b 160 mm
    Mojo HD+ 650b 180 mm ( 2 models or a 160 mm chippable )

Angles and specs as you from Ibis do since always.

Ciao
    yep.

mtbr member
    Ive already said it, but what we really need is a longer front center HD. Keep the seat tube the same length just stretch the top tube out for a longer reach and wheelbase. I know many people who ownt ride a mojo because its so short and i baaaaarely fit mine

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Nope!

Hate to disagree but I moved from Pivot to Ibis because the TT was too long on the Mach.
    Admittedly I am on an SL-R, not an HD. A long top tube will immediately rule a bike out for me going forward.

mtbr member
    1) I would love a Carbon, DW-Link DH bike to replace my Sunday.

2) As much as I love my Mojo HD, it would be nice to be able to run 26" or 650B wheels in the 160 travel setting (see Banshee Rune V2 dropouts). I also would prefer a little slacker head angle (66-66.5) and a longer TT. I know you can't please everyone with the HA & TT but slacker and longer TT is how I roll.

3) Longer travel Ripley.

4) Disk brakes on the Hakkalugi.

That's all I got.
    Now living in Denver, CO.
    My bikes:
    11' Ibis Mojo HD
    08' Iron Horse Sunday WC

Too Much Fun

Ok, I'll play...

First off, THANK YOU to Ibis Cycles for being awesome in general; making great products and listening to your rider customers. That means a lot.

My list is similar to many:

1) HD with 26/27.5" swappable rear triangle (and upgrade to current HD devotees!) PLEASE.pls.please.

2) 29'er Tranny. I'd love to see more swappable rear options for the Tranny. Superlight for XC Race peeps and Beefy for Expedition MTB Touring.

3) Hakka with discs. Love my current Loogi, but disc option is key.

4) SL-R 2.0. Lighter please, with 26/27.5 swappable option.

5) Ripley. Shipping in volume.

...And as for a DH bike, sure. After you guys finish up with #'s 1-5 up there.

And everything should be tapered headtubes, maxle rears and real headset inserts.
    Last edited by benja55; 10-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    DH bike
    Hardtail 29 made for 100-120mm forks
    magnetic suspension
    plasma engines
    personal forcefield with air conditioner

mtbr member
    Think of the tooling costs for a company like ibis - plasma engines are totally impractical due to set up costs for their volumes. Far better to stick with tried and trusted - flux capacitors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Besides everyone knows plasma engines are flexy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Updated HD with slight longer tope tube, and/or shorter standover height, and slightly lower seat tube. The XL fits me perfectly in length at 6'2, but I dislike the 21 inch seat tube and high standover, especially in the air. So much so that I'm toying around with selling my frame for an SB-66.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Good looking list to me Thor.

I'm REALLY curious how well a DH or Park bike would do for Ibis. I'd assume they would continue along the carbon theme, but molds are uber pricey, just how many units per year would they have to sell to make it viable???
    Even if the DH bike is a wash, financially, it makes Ibis legit, in my opinion. Every badass bike company offers a DH bike. DH bikes are cool. Please, Ibis, make a downhill bike. Your very radness may depend on it!

HD 250. Woah......

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trashcanmike View Post
    Hate to disagree but I moved from Pivot to Ibis because the TT was too long on the Mach.
    Admittedly I am on an SL-R, not an HD. A long top tube will immediately rule a bike out for me going forward.
    Same for me. What first lead me to an ibis HD was the shorter top tubes, if it had longer top tubes than it already does I would have to find a diffrent bike. Bike fit can be tricky because everyone has their own feel their after.
    Also theres alot of talk about 27.5' and 29", but I hope you(ibis) plan on keeping atleast your sl-r and hd in a 26" model and maybe add an option with a rear triangle change to make it 27.5" like others posted. I have tried 27.5", 29" and I just prefer 26" bikes. I have no interest in anything other than 26" and Im sure there are plenty of other people that feel the same.
    If ibis had a DH bike I would have bought one, instead I had to get a DW link DH bike from another brand.

It's hard to please the masses and give everyone what they want. I think it's really cool of Ibis to ask opinions on a public forum about what model bikes people want to see next

mtbr member
    A small size HD that will accept the CCDB Air shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkwat View Post
    Updated HD with slight longer tope tube, and/or shorter standover height, and slightly lower seat tube. The XL fits me perfectly in length at 6'2, but I dislike the 21 inch seat tube and high standover, especially in the air. So much so that I'm toying around with selling my frame for an SB-66.
    Have you looked at the Knolly Chilcotin?
    I just picked one up.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    There has been a lot of suggestions. So what now Ibis, what's cooking for 2013?

mtbr member
    Ripley
    29er tranny
    Luggi Disc

I really hope there is a 29er tranny.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ha!

As much as I would like to share, I / We are sworn to secrecy...

Thanks again for all the great input, it's really fantastic.

H

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I knew it! I shouldn't have asked. lol... I'm really looking forward to see what's next for Ibis. I'm really hoping its not just the ripley29er cuz this is already a given. Any dates on when we can expect this, though?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I absolutely love my HD! It's hands down the best bike I've ever owned.
    If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy exactly the same bike with two component changes (would be great to have these options in the build kits):

1. X-Fusion Vector Air instead of the Fox RP23.
    2. Shimano XTR brakes instead of the Formulas

That said, I'd love internal cable routing and a couple more color options. I'd also be interested in trying a 650b HD (designed specifically around that wheel size).

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast