mtbr member
    Jan 2011

What should i be checking for on a 2nd hand Mojo SL

Do these have any common problems?

Dropshot Champ!
    with any carbon bike, check for cracks and gouges. Takes about a minute to go through the bike,

If it's frame only, check the lower link bearings. They're usually the first to go, since dirt/water is easily trapped there. I can snag new enduro bearings from my LBS for about 3$ each.

The metal piece that is glued onto the rear chainstay gets dented and comes off from chain drops/suck. You don't really need it, but replacements are cheap.

The headset bearings can get a little notchy depending on how old the mojo is. Easy to swap upper and lower headset bearings as the bottom gets most of the grime.

The shock bolt, where the shock connects to linkage can bend. It's a 6mm hex and easy to check. Really cheap to replace.

Where the lower link connects to the frame, the insert inside the carbon frame can spin loose. It's rare, but definitely something to look for. Also, pull the seatpost and see how the seat tube looks. Check where the rear brake attacts to the frame for delamination/unbonding.

I believe it was only mojo classics, but some 07's came with a fox rp23 med rebound / med compression tune. It's not bad, but won't be as plush as the low/low it should be spec'd with.

All in all, checking all of these should just take a few minutes, and most won't have any of these problems. This is just a list of everything I've seen or heard about over the years. The only "common" problems are the lower link bearings wearing fast-ish (pretty much all short dual link suspensions have this problem though) and the metal chainstay glued on thingy

Good luck, these bikes are damn near bulletproof!

mtbr member
    Check inside the upper link to see if rocks have gotten in there and crunched up the frame. On mine it just chipped off some paint, no biggie.

I've also heard of the seat tube insert coming loose. Just see if the seat post can be tightened well.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    I thought I'd have more to add here, but redmr2 covered it well. I would just reiterate this part "Where the lower link connects to the frame, the insert inside the carbon frame can spin loose. It's rare, but definitely something to look for." Yes indeed. Most other possible issues are easy/cheap to correct (even the delaminated seat tube insert), but a loose main pivot sleeve is a deal killer.

Turn off the TV
    My main pivot sleeve came delaminated but that was a Mojo 1st gen. You will never see this if you don't take the rear triangle off and inspect it closely, if you can look for cracks around the insert is there is one don't get the bike as there may be a warranty issue.

mtbr member
    Yeah, same here, fist gen Mojo... I started believing all the flex haters, and it just got worse and worse, until I tore the frame down and could wiggle the insert around in the frame.
    ....Ibis, of course, took care of it with grace and style

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Yeah, same here, fist gen Mojo... I started believing all the flex haters, and it just got worse and worse, until I tore the frame down and could wiggle the insert around in the frame.
    ....Ibis, of course, took care of it with grace and style
    if that's the case one could push the price of the used bike much lower and deal with the warrantee yourself since Ibis will take care of you even if you're not the original owner - not something other companies do!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    if that's the case one could push the price of the used bike much lower and deal with the warrantee yourself since Ibis will take care of you even if you're not the original owner - not something other companies do!
    Well, I think you'd end up spending as much or more than just buying a brand new frame....unless you can basically get someone to GIVE you the old one...
    .... sounds to me like abuse of Ibis' goodwill.... too much of that and they may find themselves in the unpleasant position of having to be really hard on people with warranty claims, just to protect themselves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm not talking about abusing Ibis warrantee. if the metal to carbon connection fails (being main pivot housing, bottom bracket, rear hanger, etc...) then that is a defect the owner should get covered. That is after all the weakest past of a carbon frame - the connections to metal.

with Special blend at < $2700 for full bike, there is much less reason to buy used nowadays IMO. A great great deal...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    with Special blend at < $2700 for full bike, there is much less reason to buy used nowadays IMO. A great great deal...
    So true