mtbr member

What is my SL-R worth?

Wondering what you all think the bike is worth now. It has a little over $6k invested into it. Every component was brand new when it was built earlier this year. Not a single scratch on the frame or components. FYI, the wheelset alone costed $1k. Sadly it has no more than 200 miles of ride on it.

Frame: Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - White/Black
    Fork: RS Revelation World Cup 150mm 20mm Tapered (BlackBox tech., Carbon crown/steerer) **20mm dropouts on this model is uber-rare.
    Shock: Monarch RC3 Plus
    Shifters: SRAM X.0 10-speed Shifter
    RD: SRAM X.0 medium cage RD
    FD: SRAM X.0 Direct Mount High Clamp FD
    Cassette: SRAM X.0 XG-1080, 11-36t
    Crankset: 24/38 SRAM X.0 2x10 Crankset w/ bash
    Handlebar: Easton Haven Carbon Handlebar
    Seatpost: 31.6x380mm Specialized Command Post Blacklite
    Stem: Thomson Elite X4 70mm
    Headset: Cane Creek Angleset EC44/EC49/40
    Saddle: Specialized Henge Expert 143mm
    Grips: Ergon GS1-S
    Pedals: Straitline AMP Platform
    BB: SRAM GXP PF92
    Chain: KMC X10SL
    Cable: Jagwire Ripcord
    Extra: Bionicon C-Guide chainguide

Brakeset: F. Hope Tech M4 w/ SS braided hose
    R. Hope Tech X2 w/ SS braided hose
    Hope 160mm Floating rotor
    Hope 183mm Floating rotor
    Hope Matchmaker
    Hope 183mm Adaptor

Tires: 2.25 Maxxis Ardent EXO
    Tires: 2.20 Maxxis Ikon EXO
    Rims: Custom built carbon rims from Light-Bicycle (see huge thread on MTBR).
    -Rims are the wide 26er 32H matte with UD finish.
    -Hubs are black Chris King ISO - 142x12mm rear and 20mm front.
    -Spokes are black Sapim CX-Ray laced 3-cross with alternating heads.
    -Nipples are black Sapim Polyax aluminum nipples.

Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

aka dan51
    Surely you know how much it's worth, you just wanted to come in here and show off your bike.
    You could post another thread with more pictures asking what color it is

nice bike!
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

Too Much Fun
    It's worth whatever the market says it's worth!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    Surely you know how much it's worth, you just wanted to come in here and show off your bike.
    You could post another thread with more pictures asking what color it is

Lol thanks.

nice bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    It's worth whatever the market says it's worth!
    Well in that case, what would you be willing to pay for a bike like this? Would you think $5k is a good asking price to start off with?
    Current Ride:

Lightly salted
    5k sounds like alot for a used bike. I've seen complete ibis mojo and slr go for mid to high 2k's. You could ask $3,800 firm, but you would probably still have trouble making that. I usually sell all my bikes to buy new ones every year, so I know theres a big loss in selling used bikes. I think used bikes are like used cars, once you leave the lot its already dropped 30% in value.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    5k sounds like alot for a used bike. I've seen complete ibis mojo and slr go for mid to high 2k's. You could ask $3,800 firm, but you would probably still have trouble making that. I usually sell all my bikes to buy new ones every year, so I know theres a big loss in selling used bikes.
    Ouch, if that's the case, then I would make off better by parting out.
    Current Ride:

Lightly salted
    Pink bikes classified section is a good place to check used bike prices. Im sure you could get a little more than 3,800 from a buyer that really wanted the bike, it's just tough selling with so many used bike for sale.
    Good luck to you if you end up selling.

Dropshot Champ!
    yeah I was gunna say ~4k, but that might be tough to get. Definitely not 5.

Part it. The frames go for alot. Chinese wheels have good resale too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    FWIW, an empirical datapoint: I bought my first mojo c in 2007. 4400 retail for a full XY version, got it for 2900 on ebay a couple rides past brand new. I think that was a great deal, but illustrative.

In your case, unfortunately, you need to find someone who will know all the gucci parts you've hung on it, and value all of them the same way you do. Someone willing to spend 5K on a bike might have different opinions, and your optimal choice might be a compromise part for them or something they'd have to budget for replacing.

Like cars, or moreso than cars, bikes depreciate immediately on driving off the lot. Partly this is asymmetric information - a buyer doesn't really know, for example, what happened to the bike in those 200(???) miles, or, for example, who built the wheels or if there's a stripped thread somewhere from assembly they'll have to deal with at some point.

Another relevant observation is from psychology, what Airley terms the "ikea effect". This is where objects a person invests time in become (much) more valuable to that person relative to the value someone else will place on the same object. So, someone who assembles an ikea cabinet (yes, just screwing it together) will value it, irrationally, more than one assembled by someone else. This will apply much more to your SL-R, which, if you are anything like me, you poured huge time and energy into making decisions on just the right custom build, and lovingly assembled into a masterpiece, but to a buyer is just another pretty bike.

Anyhow, this isn't necessarily helpful to estimating what your bike it worth, but it might give some perspective on the gap between a seller's sense of a bikes worth and that of a buyer. And why I like to buy used bikes if I can't otherwise get a deal.

mtbr member
    Minus a few bits here n there, thats an awesome build/bike. Keep it and ride it. Please dont tell ke youre selling it for a 29r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Minus a few bits here n there, thats an awesome build/bike. Keep it and ride it. Please dont tell ke youre selling it for a 29r
    Lol not converting to 29er. Unfortunately a change in my life does not permit me much, if any, riding time. Sadly, the last time I rode the bike was almost 3 months ago.

As of now, instead of letting the bike sit and depreciate more, I'd rather use whatever money I can get from it to pay off a loan.
    Current Ride: