Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

what is the longest stem length u have been running on a ripley?

I am 5'7"

The TT in the large seemed too short. I generally ride a small or med size frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    5'10"
    Medium size frame
    10cm stem
    Handles great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    6' 9cm on a large
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm 5'9" and thought the medium was too short and rode the large. While the reach on the large felt good, it felt too big everywhere else.

After riding both back to back, I would go for the medium with a 80-90mm Stem. I currently ride a medium HD with a 70mm Stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    5'10 large and 50mm stem, 750 bars. sweet as a nut

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm 5-11, just switched from 70mm to 80mm -6 degree, stem all the way down with no spacers, 740mm 5mm rise bars. (140mm fork, large frame).

MSH
    mtbr member
    Just a hair under 6' tall and all legs with a near 35" inseam.
    710mm flats with 100mm 6 degree stem on large frame

mtbr member
    For me the mental limit is at 100mm for any new bike to avoid the back to the 90's feeling and looks.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Longest stem I have seen on Ripley builds on mtbr is FastDDS build at a 110 stem. He does have his set up for endurance racing as FYI. Crushed Stagecoach 400 this year finishing 2nd place on it.....

Ripley Picture and Build Thread

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    6' 9cm on a large
    What is your inseam measurement Hans?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am 5'10 on a large HDR. Running a 70mm stem. I could have run a 60 and still been fine.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm 5'9", Med HD Frame, 65mm Easton Havoc Stem. I initially had a 50mm Havoc and didn't like it. The 50mm was a little more responsive but I just felt like I was to far over the bars and it wasn't comfortable. I have short legs and a long torso. Good luck.

Viva la Vida!
    I'm 5'11", 33 inseam.
    Large frame, 140mm fork with a 65mm Stem, 10mm spacers and 780mm wide 15mm raise bars.
    So far I only have one ride on the bike and was going to remove spacers anyway but after reading this thread not only I will be removing the spacers to have the bar all the way down but I am putting the 70mm stem for now.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    5'10" 33 inseam on a Large Ripley running a 90m + 10 degree. Am going to try a 70mm 0 degree in a few days. Handlebars are sweep (no rise). Stack height is way up there. Will bring it down little by little (change one variable at a time).

mtbr member
    5'10"
    32" inseam (long limbs)
    Large Ripley with 80mm stem and 740mm IBIS LoFi bars

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatrix View Post
    I am 5'7"

The TT in the large seemed too short. I generally ride a small or med size frame.
    50mm. Stems are not bike fitting components, they are bike control components.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Never ever over 70. 50mm on a large seems to be the sweet spot for me at 5'11
    Like YRG says, bike control is key here, and nothing stuff is up better than a stem over 70mm IMO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    For me the mental limit is at 100mm for any new bike to avoid the back to the 90's feeling and looks.
    100mm stem and 10mm of spacers on my XL frame is the final verdict for me at 187cm/6' 1 1/2" with long legs (36,8" inseam). With a 90mm stem the bike felt cramped and the front too light. Bike control is good, no drawbacks found yet. And it looks OK too (sorry, no pics yet).

Yeah, and a Syntace Vector 740 bar with a 12 d backsweep and 10mm rise to complete the picture.

For me stems are of course both bike control and bike fit items. How can you possibly separate the two?

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    For me stems are of course both bike control and bike fit items. How can you possibly separate the two?
    Because longer stems only facilitate sitting and pedaling and they hurt bike control. Sitting and pedaling is what one does to get to the riding.
    Shorter stems favor control. Since control is where all the fun happens, shorter stems rule.
    70mm is a good rule for a max.
    35-50mm is what all my bikes run.
    It would be nice if all the misinformation about mtb would disappear. Running a long stem is like moving your body behind the bike to ride down something steep, neither works well.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by YRG View Post
    Because longer stems only facilitate sitting and pedaling and they hurt bike control. Sitting and pedaling is what one does to get to the riding.
    Shorter stems favor control. Since control is where all the fun happens, shorter stems rule.
    70mm is a good rule for a max.
    35-50mm is what all my bikes run.
    It would be nice if all the misinformation about mtb would disappear. Running a long stem is like moving your body behind the bike to ride down something steep, neither works well.
    You are on mtbr, not pinkbike.com now :-)

Riding is what's being done when on the bike. A 120mm 29er likes to go up and down.

Do you think I should go for a 30mm shorter cockpit and loose my balance on the bike?

And before you talk frame size, I am already on an XL. All well inside the recommendations from according to the guys who made the bike.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member
    Stems are for BOTH control and fit. Ripley could be someones all day endurance rig. No way I'm riding all day on a cramped bike sitting upright with a 50-70MM stem on an already short TT bike. I out DH and out jump people on 50MM stems on my 70MM stem all day, and I bet I could even shred em on my Hardtail with a 90mm stem with the seat crammed up my arse, lmao. Find the best compromise for your bike, fit, riding style, and trail systems. But don't go online spewing that stems are ONLY for bike control. If you are so desperately needing the STEM to dertimine your bike handling skills its time to go back to the drawing board. The ripley is a trail bike. Trail bikes are designed to be ridden long distances, not just self shuttling up a mountain at a slug pace and then bombing down. You need a stem that gives you a good fit and feel.70-90mm is just fine and will compliment the bikes design.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Stems are for BOTH control and fit. Ripley could be someones all day endurance rig. No way I'm riding all day on a cramped bike sitting upright with a 50-70MM stem on an already short TT bike. I out DH and out jump people on 50MM stems on my 70MM stem all day, and I bet I could even shred em on my Hardtail with a 90mm stem with the seat crammed up my arse, lmao. Find the best compromise for your bike, fit, riding style, and trail systems. But don't go online spewing that stems are ONLY for bike control. If you are so desperately needing the STEM to dertimine your bike handling skills its time to go back to the drawing board. The ripley is a trail bike. Trail bikes are designed to be ridden long distances, not just self shuttling up a mountain at a slug pace and then bombing down. You need a stem that gives you a good fit and feel.70-90mm is just fine and will compliment the bikes design.
    Guess I should have said that stems SHOULD only be used as control devices. Ride how you want. And congrats for beating folks with short stems - impressive

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Guess I should have said that stems SHOULD only be used as control devices. Ride how you want. And congrats for beating folks with short stems - impressive

If you are having trouble with the front end washing out or going wide on corners, a longer stem or lower bars can help. If you go over the bars, shorter stem / higher bars will help.

The angle between your torso and upper leg (changes with stem length) and position over the pedals (changes with saddle for-aft position) can hugely affect the amount of power you put out. If you get it right, climbs, flats and DH are ALL fun.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    If you are having trouble with the front end washing out or going wide on corners, a longer stem or lower bars can help. If you go over the bars, shorter stem / higher bars will help.
    So true! I recently changed from 40mm rise bars/40mm short stem to 15mm bars and 60mm stem inverted. I used to have lots of washing out of the front on some off camber high speed turns, and thought it was the tyre, but it turns out there was just not enogh weight on the front. No weight=no traction.

mtbr member

50mm. Stems are not bike fitting components, they are bike control components.
    Ding Ding Ding!

We have a winner for the dumbest Sh!t I've ever read on MTBR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast