mtbr member
    Nov 2009

what are folks getting for their HDs?

It's late season in the Northeast and I've gotten the new bike itch for next spring... if I can get a decent amount for my Mojo HD.

So the question is, what are folks getting for their used Mojo HD frames/what have people bought them for used? Not what are people listing them for here, on PinkBike, Craigslist, eBay etc, that's easy to find ha.

Any thoughts on a low range to high range? I'd of course be including extras, it's got new links & bearings, DB Air shock, taken excellent care of it, etc.
    Evil Undead & a box of trail bike parts waiting for a new frame

Team Chilidog!
    Couldn't find anything here, but they still go for a lot by the looks of it on PB: Used mojo hd - XC/All Mountain Bikes - Page 1 - Pinkbike Buy&Sell
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you want to sell it, then I would say around 2500 for complete bike or 1000 for a frame. MTB's depreciate big time.

My complete SLX MojoHD would probably get around $2000...it's used and scratched but in perfect working order.

mtbr member
    You may want to spell out the potential to convert the HD to 650B and what those specs would be in your ad. 650B bikes are getting a lot of attention and that could be a selling feature that gets you a higher asking price.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    You may want to spell out the potential to convert the HD to 650B and what those specs would be in your ad. 650B bikes are getting a lot of attention and that could be a selling feature that gets you a higher asking price.
    That's a great point. I'd like to think I could do much better than $1000 for it including a DB air, chainguide, King Headset, 140 limbo chips to go 650b, and the new/replaced links, as well as the standard Ibis extras...

The problem with selling high-end completes is that there seams to be an upper limit for how much someone will pay for a used bike, and folks willing to spend above that limit aren't looking used. It's why I never sell completes, it's way easier to swallow 1200 for something worth 1600, than it is ~3000 for a mostly new build worth 2.5 times that.

But I guess we can thank the industry for for insinuating that people won't have fun, or won't possibly be able to keep up on their next group ride if they don't have wagon wheels, or 650b, ha! It's killing the used bike market!

Thanks for chiming in everybody, my goal really is just to gauge what the potential market for my frame might be.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by vtsingletrack View Post
    That's a great point. I'd like to think I could do much better than $1000 for it including a DB air, chainguide, King Headset, 140 limbo chips to go 650b, and the new/replaced links, as well as the standard Ibis extras...

The problem with selling high-end completes is that there seams to be an upper limit for how much someone will pay for a used bike, and folks willing to spend above that limit aren't looking used. It's why I never sell completes, it's way easier to swallow 1200 for something worth 1600, than it is ~3000 for a mostly new build worth 2.5 times that.

But I guess we can thank the industry for for insinuating that people won't have fun, or won't possibly be able to keep up on their next group ride if they don't have wagon wheels, or 650b, ha! It's killing the used bike market!

Thanks for chiming in everybody, my goal really is just to gauge what the potential market for my frame might be.
    Oh, one other point: some sizes (M and L) may sell faster and get more attention than others (S and XL). For me, it's hard for me to sell a frame because I'm on the small end of the spectrum, so because of that, I tend to get lower prices (not as much demand) for my frames than I would if I sold a medium or large frame.

I think it's a matter of how much demand there is too: the Mojo HD seems to hold its value on the used market more than some of the other bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Oh, one other point: some sizes (M and L) may sell faster and get more attention than others (S and XL). For me, it's hard for me to sell a frame because I'm on the small end of the spectrum, so because of that, I tend to get lower prices (not as much demand) for my frames than I would if I sold a medium or large frame.

I think it's a matter of how much demand there is too: the Mojo HD seems to hold its value on the used market more than some of the other bikes.
    You're spot on here. Luckily my HD is a medium. I'm currently trying to sell my Small V10 Carbon frame that's basically showroom new for a bargain, and having a hell of a time...

Team Chilidog!
    You're spot on here. Luckily my HD is a medium. I'm currently trying to sell my Small V10 Carbon frame that's basically showroom new for a bargain, and having a hell of a time...
    Wow, you're selling both your bikes? Getting out of riding entirely?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Haha, definitely not getting out of riding. I think I'd go crazy if I stopped riding every day cold turkey after many years of it being my lifestyle. But as a dedicated bike nerd, I have this insatiable desire to keep trying and riding more and more bikes With Vermont usually frozen over from late November to late April every year, now is the time to start seeing if I can pull it off yet again...

Lightly salted
    I have this insatiable desire to keep trying and riding more and more bikes With Vermont usually frozen over from late November to late April every year, now is the time to start seeing if I can pull it off yet again...
    Haha, You sound a lot like me! I just sold 2 bikes and bought 2 new ones. Lucky for me I live in Ca so Im able to ride year round.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    for reference, i recently sold my 2012 HD as a complete bike with full XT, ks dropper, charger pro wheelset, and top-end x-fusion suspension for $3550CDN...didn't take much of a hit at all b/c i bought the frame used to begin with...i can't afford to ride $6k bikes for a couple of years and then sell them for half that...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Team Chilidog!

what are folks getting for their HDs?

Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    for reference, i recently sold my 2012 HD as a complete bike with full XT, ks dropper, charger pro wheelset, and top-end x-fusion suspension for $3550CDN...didn't take much of a hit at all b/c i bought the frame used to begin with...i can't afford to ride $6k bikes for a couple of years and then sell them for half that...
    It's funny--a lot of people view their bikes like that: a need to "flip" them like people flip real estate.

Now that I finally have a bike that fits, I'd like to see how long I can ride my HD. One of my buddies doesn't replace anything until it wears out or breaks, and that sounds like a good idea.

I would trade in my frames with Ventana, but since the HD actually fits me (and that was hard enough to find), I don't feel the need to "flip" the frame every two years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am getting a cup holder and bottle opener for my HD

Is that what you mean?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I bought barely used, mint XL 2012 mojo hd with rp23 kashima and king headset for $1600cad about a month ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    We bought a used 2012 size small complete XO build HD for my wife for $3200 off of Pinkbike. The bike came with a brand new fork, brakes and wheels.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    It's funny--a lot of people view their bikes like that: a need to "flip" them like people flip real estate.

Now that I finally have a bike that fits, I'd like to see how long I can ride my HD. One of my buddies doesn't replace anything until it wears out or breaks, and that sounds like a good idea.

I would trade in my frames with Ventana, but since the HD actually fits me (and that was hard enough to find), I don't feel the need to "flip" the frame every two years.
    Except that people who flip houses usually do it for profit. Very few people make profit selling their bikes. So it's not really 'flipping.' Especially on something that they keep for a year.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Generally, you will see actual sales go for just under 1/2 of retail, depending on condition.
    Any more is luck.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Except that people who flip houses usually do it for profit. Very few people make profit selling their bikes. So it's not really 'flipping.' Especially on something that they keep for a year.
    I know it's to minimize loss and not for profit.

Just seeing it more and more now: people keeping their bikes for 1-2 years and then selling them. Originally I saw this strictly with shop guys, but it seems to be more and more common now for everyone.

Ow!
    A few weeks ago on ebay, I paid almost $1400 US, including shipping, for an XL frame in good shape with a CC angleset. I was thinking more like $1200 including shipping, but I was just not seeing much in XLs (except, of course, in the pinkbike list Stripes' linked). It wasn't an impulse buy, but it was more than I was planning to spend. Mojo HDs seems to keep their value well as compared to others. And I agree, after watching for years, even less return in selling complete bikes = bargains for buyers.