Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

What exactly is the hold up?

what is a typical day at this chinese carbon fiber place like? anyone have any insight?

does the place have a website? well, i know they have a website...anyone know what it is?

what else do they make? i don't know about you guys, but i like to know more about where my frame is coming from and what other stuff the place makes. (for instance, there is a website for the place where Turner frames are made)

what is the production capacity? one frame per week? what the heck are they actually doing over there???

mx
    Last edited by mx_599; 03-23-2008 at 01:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you are asking about Ibis bikes, why not make a polite call to their office, if your local shop is unable to clarify things?

Firing a random question on the web will get you a lot of replies, but the only one that matters is from the people who actually supply the things.

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by robbieracer
    If you are asking about Ibis bikes, why not make a polite call to their office, if your local shop is unable to clarify things?

Firing a random question on the web will get you a lot of replies, but the only one that matters is from the people who actually supply the things.
    Excellent point! Plus, I would imagine that Ibis frames are manufactured in Taiwan, not China.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Aint Ibis frame manufactured in China? If I recall correctly that is. Dont worry these guys are experienced in carbon production
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

...because i am busy in the day. hard to make calls, unless they are unpolite.

and i wouldn't want to make an unpolite call to ibis. i figured the manufacturer might have been common knowledge, thought someone on here would know. i guess no one cares who makes their $2000+ carbon frame. oh well, doesn't hurt to try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    Excellent point! Plus, I would imagine that Ibis frames are manufactured in Taiwan, not China.
    i thought the february chinese holiday was a set-back issue....so naturally i figured china.

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Aint Ibis frame manufactured in China? If I recall correctly that is. Dont worry these guys are experienced in carbon production
    I honestly don't know. What I do know is I had a fantastic ride on my Mojo this morning! China, Taiwan, whatever.... the more I ride it, the more I love it!
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know where all my frames are made so I don't think they will have a problem sharing some information with you. Well, they may keep it a bit general but this factory may be producing other carbon components and frames as well and you sure can't go stoll on in there on Monday anyway.

Just give them a call but don't use any information as fodder to start a flame-fest. Just saying.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I know where all my frames are made so I don't think they will have a problem sharing some information with you. Well, they may keep it a bit general but this factory may be producing other carbon components and frames as well and you sure can't go stoll on in there on Monday anyway.

Just give them a call but don't use any information as fodder to start a flame-fest. Just saying.....
    huh? i am not sure i really understand what you are saying? i am not trying to start any flame fest

i have one coming soon, why would i be out to knock it? hello?

i guess ibis owners don't care about where the frames are made, the history behind them, etc. i like to know that kind of stuff. (hans -- pm me the answers to post #1 and i'll keep it on the dl)

maybe i like to know if my frame is made along side of formula race car parts or space shuttle goodies...etc.

fine let the thread die...i'll remain oblivious like everyone else here

i can't believe derby or wheelhot have failed to answer, they seem to know everything else. maybe they don't want to share.
    Last edited by mx_599; 03-24-2008 at 12:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    What I do know is I had a fantastic ride on my Mojo this morning! China, Taiwan, whatever.... the more I ride it, the more I love it!
    that's great you got one....maybe the rest of us could enjoy it too, if they made more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Dont worry these guys are experienced in carbon production
    that's a big relief.

where do you get your information?

mtbr member
    In relation to the production facilities of the Mojo here is a quote from an old thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Tom
    Hello Vicentp,

Tom from Ibis posting. The answer to your question is not a simple as you may think. So instead of saying that the Mojo is made here or there I'll give you the necessary information and let you decide. The carbon components of the frame are made in China, just outside Hong Kong. The aluminum parts - such as the links and seat clamp - come from Taiwan. The bearings are from Japan, and the Fox shock comes from the US. We gather all these components here in Scotts Valley, California and assemble it into a frame. So knowing all that, where does the Mojo come from? Depends on your perspective, I guess.
    where is built the mojo frame???
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    mx_599: you misunderstand me. I was merely mentioning this because sometimes, info given to customers becomes a topic that starts a flame-fest on mtbr, especially that Taiwan versus china battle. Just disregard what I said though.

I'm with you- I also like to know where my frame is made and who made it. I would not buy a frame that I did not know the general origin of. I think you make a valid point. Oh, I do not own an Ibis but have ridden a couple.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There you go- China

EDIT- removed smiley

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    sorry for the misunderstanding.

everyone is just so quick to jump down everyone's throat on these forums. it is sometimes ridiculous.
    the turner forum was one of the worst. guys on there with thousands of post that thought they knew everything... then i find back threads talking about very basic suspension set-up that they admitted to not knowing. it was hilarious

even one of the prolific posters on the ibis forum totally goofed on CCDB info. malcolm with cane creek was laughing when i forwarded the thread to him and told me to call him.

so anyway, will i still buy a mojo if i found out the carbon was being laid by 12 yr olds in a sweat shop? absolfreakinglutely! especially with the raving reviews and personal endorsement of wheelhot.

thanks for helping portti, but i basically knew that already. i was hoping for some more juicy infomation. like websites (everyone has one), other bikes made there, other high tech industry stuff, etc...

i only care about the frame. i could care less who owns fox or where its parts are made now.

but thanks everyone, i guess it will remain the ibis mystery....

**please direct future inquiries of this nature to this thread. maybe it should be a sticky **

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Enjoy the ride, mx. I bet one of the HK mtbr members can find out for us and even post a few pics of the factory.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you would rather speculate after hours than talk to a shop, or the factory, I think your pursuit of the facts about delivery is not very genuine. After all, have you ordered a frame? Are you wondering about getting one? Did a shop check for you?

Me, I have had a frame on order for a while, and if I want the delivery details my national distributor will ask Ibis directly. Simple

There seem to be plenty of Mojos about.. the SL is a far more rare creature at the moment!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you would rather speculate after hours than talk to a shop, or the factory, I think your pursuit of the facts about delivery is not very genuine. After all, have you ordered a frame? Are you wondering about getting one? Did a shop check for you?

Me, I have had a frame on order for a while, and if I want the delivery details my national distributor will ask Ibis directly. Simple

There seem to be plenty of Mojos about.. the SL is a far more rare creature at the moment!
    are you talking to me? who is not genuine? why else would i be asking questions? you should read post number 9 again.

like i said, i thought someone on here would have a clue. i am relatively new here, thought a regular would be able to answer.

to be quite honest, i just don't really feel like calling ibis to ask....but eventually i might.

speculating is fun.

mtbr member
    Here is another quote from an older post:

Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    Hans from Ibis posting...
    A little story about one part of the frame:
    When we shopped the lower link fabrication in the US the quotes ranged from $60 each to "it can't be made". Basically, no takers. We now get them made at the same factory that makes the cases for Apple laptops and Ipods among other things. Hi quality and competitive pricing. We have a full model and machine shop at our disposal next door, but we have a high tech forging house in Taiwan that makes it possible to bring something like this to market. We do the prototypes here and production there.

Look at a Mojo frame, keeping in mind that it is a one piece hollow structure. It is probably the most difficult composite bicycle frame ever made. We are fortunate to be working with a factory that can pull it off. It is in Shen Zhen China. If it could be in the US, that would have been great, but I don't think we would have sold many frames since we would expect the price to be 2 - 3 times higher.
    Mojo or Cinclon?

I think that there is one other post where the production facility is mentioned but I couldn't find that one right now.

It sure would be interesting to learn more about the factory that produces the carbon parts for the Mojo frame.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I've been to Shenzen area 4 times. I wish I would have known about the carbon frame being made there and I would have tried to find the place. I have a friend who currently works in the area. I'll see if he can snoop around and come up with some details.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    |I've read that the Mojo frames are manufactured by O-Ta Precision Industry Co, Ltd. at the Inda Nano Industrial factory. The factory makes products related to ice hockey, bicycle parts, skating, skiing and archery. Read more about the production facility at http://61.221.178.17/eng/about_us/?cateId=8&fmenu=7.

I think that the rubber paint on the Mojo SL is an idea from the ice hockey production taking place at the factory.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    thanks all you guys! this is what i am talking about. thanks for looking for some of those old threads portti. i think it is kind of cool that currently or at one time parts of my bike were made where parts of apple stuff is made. does it mean anything? nope. just neat info.

thanks guys

mtbr member
    Ok, now I finally found the old thread where the production facility is mentioned:

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Nicol
    Here is a paragraph from the "more about the Mojo Carbon" page on our website

"Although we design, engineer and test the bikes in and around our facility near Santa Cruz, the lightweight frame and swingarm is built for us in China by a small, prestigious fabricator. Frames from this shop have used to contest the Tour de France and the UCI world cup. The founder, Dr. Chen has his PhD in Composites from National Taiwan Institute of Technology University."

And here's even a little more information for you.
    The company is called Inda, and they are in the Shenzhen area where much of today's carbon manufacturing is coming from (Kestrel, Specialized, Colnago, Scott, Cervelo, Trek, Merlin, Orbea, Felt, Ridley and a bunch more for that matter).

We do all the development here, the design, FEA, engineering and testing. We have over 1700 hours of CAD time into the Mojo alone.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/ibis-mojo-carbon-who-has-ordered-one-154995-post1755043.html

Indeed it seems like the carbon parts are manufactured by a company called Inda which is probably the one runemm mentioned?
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Portti
    Usually only a large bike company would do something like this. Bringing Ibis back into the market, we felt we needed to do a cannonball into the pool, not wade in on the shallow end... At this point in time it looks like it was the right thing to do. It was also good timing for Ibis that composite manufacturing technology was getting to the point where something like this was possible.
    Thanks Portti, I had not read that one. I guess they pretty much did the above if they got me to buy one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast