mtbr member

What clip-in Shoes for your HD

I need to try something new, my 10 yr old shimanos need an upgrade. Looking at specialized Rimes or Comps. Shimanos possible, not sure of a good model. Not sure if carbon soles make sense or not. I ride mostly single track/fire roads. All clipped in stuff.
    I have NOT been impressed with sidi m/c boots-but open to ideas

MPI
    mtbr member

I have used Rimes and they are solid shoes even for walking. I also have Five10 Maltese Falcons. Good shoe but too wide fir my feet. Rimes are much narrower than Shimanos.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

www.derbyrims.com
    Currently Northwave. Good for narrow ankle and wide toes. Light in weight, good traction and stability. But needed Superfeet insoles, the stock insoles were almost nothing.

I won't buy Sidi's again unless they widen the sole under the heel. The uppers are nice and they have many size options. The rear area of their sole is way too small and narrow for stability when hiking. I twisted my ankle more than once when hiking on easy terrain, especially after the sole wore rounded a little. And and the sole under the heel does not reach to the rear enough, and slips traction easily when scrambling down a cliff or big unridable (for me) boulder.

Shimano's are too narrow up front for my feet.

Off the back...
    Buy whatever fits your foot. I've had great luck with Shimano shoes for 15+ years, and before that Lake and Sidi.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I used a pair of Shimano MTB Clipless shoes for a few years....thye looked like a pair of Columbia Hikers. Worked quite well.

I upgraded to a better pair of Shimanos last year. Stiffer sole, lighter, better buckles, etc. They pedal better and perform really well. One problem, when I have to hike a bike through a creek or on some wet wood they are super slippery.

So there a re plus' and minus' to every style.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Specialized BG Pro's here. I like so much that I bought a second pair of them when the first pair wore out.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    Specialized BG Pro's here. I like so much that I bought a second pair of them when the first pair wore out.
    ditto. Love my specialized shoes. I have a pair sitting in a box brand new, waiting for me to wear out the current pair.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member

Dayam, I was afraid you guys were gunna pick the $275 pair, are they OK whenst you need to do some walking, nothing major, just a dab or two

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    They should be $200. The S-works might be the $275 pair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    And yes, they walk pretty well too.

mtbr member

Any idea where to buy, I can't find them on specialized's website only the $275 one has carbon soles

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wow, they are $275 now. I bought a pair 2-3 yeas ago for $180.

I think they raised the price on them after they introduced their new Rime. Model which sells for $150. They are great shoes though, and they are cheaper than Sidi Dragons and the S-works model.

Mtb Guide
    Most of those shoes imo are way to stiff for a ride on a bike like the HD, I wear 5:10 Minnaars but also like 5:10s new Ravens and Shimano AM 45 DH shoes.

stiff shles not so good on the ankles ofr jumping and feel, bit like hard bindings on a snowboard vs softbindings, once ya go soft and learn good technique ya never go back, jme everone to theyre own but ya dont know what ya dont know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    Just picked up a pair as they're 20% off at Mikes Bikes-these shoes ROCK not really a fanboi type, but worth the $236 it'd easy

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Glad you like the new shoes!

I'm late to the party, but will chime in with a vote for the Scott Team Boa. Best shoes I've ever owned and insanely comfortable. You can find them only for $125, and I found locally for $149.

Too Much Fun

Sorry to fork this thread a little...

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    once ya go soft and learn good technique ya never go back, jme everone to theyre own but ya dont know what ya dont know!
    ...but I have to agree, bigtime. I've been riding more with flats and 5.10s on my HD a lot more lately and it's crazy how much it's helped my riding. Riding with clips had led me to develop so many bad habits over the years. I've been having a blast learning how to do it RIGHT.

As for clip-in shoes, I was loving my Specialized Trail 120 SLs right up until the entire rubber soles of each shoe peeled off last season in Downieville. I did NOT have enough hard miles on them to justify it as reasonable time to fail. I'm not down with $200 shoes self destructing in less then two seasons. If I was clocking serious milage then maybe.

I personally like the mid-top shoes for the more chunky, techy riding and I'm currently looking to get a pair of the new(?) Mavic Screes as my next clip-in shoes, but I do wonder if I'd do better with something even softer.
    - -benja- -