Special Purpose
    Oct 2009

What can you guys tell me about the SLX wheelset?

So in a buying frenzy preparing for a build I bought a new Ibis SLX wheelset on eBay. Then I scored a new set of Stans Flow wheels and ended up using those. Since then I've been trying to sell the Ibis wheels, but nobody seems to want them.

I'm considering just keeping them as a spare wheelset. The Alex rims and Joytech hubs aren't exactly blingy, but the easily convertible hubs mean that I can use them on either of my two bikes, and the Ibis claimed weight of 1800g doesn't sound too bad...

So I'm looking for some real world intel on them. How do they hold up? How are the hubs? Anyone weighed a set? How do they handle tubeless conversion? Etc..

Any feedback appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It' a pretty darn good wheel set actually. My buddy has been on them for a couple of years and they've been great. Tubeless set up is simple, they' easy to service with readily available parts and they can be adapted to most common standards. There are certainly blingier wheels out there but these are reliable and... There just ain't much more to say. They work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crlavoie View Post
    It' a pretty darn good wheel set actually. My buddy has been on them for a couple of years and they've been great. Tubeless set up is simple, they' easy to service with readily available parts and they can be adapted to most common standards. There are certainly blingier wheels out there but these are reliable and... There just ain't much more to say. They work.

How did your buddy set up his tubeless? Which method works well with these. I'm contemplating a winter project.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_lvr View Post
    How did your buddy set up his tubeless? Which method works well with these. I'm contemplating a winter project.
    Just a layer of tape and Stan's. He runs Maxxis Ignitor / Advantage and Kenda Nevegals. The only tire he had trouble with was a Mountain King.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks, I may try this over the winter.