mtbr member

What can be gleaned from old Ibis serial numbers?

Howdy! Glad there's finally a forum for these cool bikes!

I have an early Hakkalugi, and (what I thought was) a later steel Mojo. Number from the 'lugi is 4668, and the Mojo is 4596...

Do the numbers simply denote what number bike rolled out of the Ibis "factory" like they suggest?

I've also got a late(like, maybe the very LAST) 'lugi frame, not yet built. No number on it anywhere I can find, or am I looking in the wrong place? I'm kind of bummed, the more I look at it, the more I realize it's missing some of the cool features from the original batch... I'll try to get some pics up here soon...

Thanks!
    Ray

lurker
    Jan 2007

Ibis serial #'s

As far as I know, traditional (oldskool-in house) Ibis serial #'s are, for the most part, sequential.
    (silk-ti's and ripleys/alibis different?)
    Scot Nicol would have the complete answer.
    I also am under the impression that I have a "final" run 'lugi.
    I don't know who made it, it's "warm beer," has a hand-job, road-drivetrain spacing (my request)
    and also has no serial #, and is sized/measured 58cm c-t-c, not c-t-top.
    the bike rides nice enough, for something they most likely had made for them.
    A few days ago I fished a bunch of rust out of the top and down tubes, so I get the feeling it was a potential "sample" bike from the (short) period when the Ibis was having people weld stuff up for out of house, "outsource" work.
    (if a steel ibis frame has a serial it would be (most likely) on the bb shell, like the rest.
    I have a frame, (SS or scorcher, can't recall right now) that has the serial in the 1500's (1575?) and it was made circa 1991.
    hope this helps, happy trails.
    Last edited by Chinese I's; 01-19-2007 at 05:32 PM.