mtbr member

What Bash Guard and Guide are you using?

THinking about switiching over to a Bash Guard instead of the Big Ring and possibly running a guide as well. What setup is everyone using?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Ditched my XTR 44T for a BBG drilled bash guard, should have done it years ago.Shortened the chain a few links & this works out to a 35 gram weight savings total.

mtbr member
    Do you feel the need for a guide? Does your chain slap? Do you ever lose your chain? I already have a medium cage derailleur so I'm covered there.

Also how is the 32T middle ring working out, do you run out of gearing easily?

Pics?

aka dan51
    I got the e13 BG and guide.
    Noise from chainslap has dropped significantly, chainsuck is gone (due to some added engineering on my part), chain drops are also less frequent now.

http://www.e13components.com/product_dss.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Does the guide create a bunch of pedaling resistance or is it not that noticable?

mtbr member
    Also I rarely ever drop the chain off the small, its over really rocky **** I lose the chain off the big ring

mtbr member
    e.thirteen bash guard. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=2213 Easy install, great upgrade. It's been working great for 2 years of heavy riding, and I'd never go back to big ring. On occasion a guide would be nice, but not often enough for the tradeoff for me.

mtbr member
    What gear middle ring are you guys running? Right now I have XTR cranks with a 32T middle ring and was wondering if I was constantly going to be running out of gear, interested in what Dan51 runs as we ride similar stuff. I guess no way to find out until I just try it but thought I'd ask around first

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I stayed w/ 32. Could go up one size, but don't need to. Only times I could use more gears is on the road, and that's as infrequent as possible. For my riding (mostly Marin singletrack) I'm mostly going up or down fairly steep trails, so very little pedaling in bigger gears. Even in races I've only ever wanted bigger gear a couple times (e.g. Sea Otter, which starts on road).

aka dan51
    I run 22/32.
    The guide is a rubber roller wheel on bearings, so there is very little resistance, if any. I don't notice any difference.
    The only time I run out of gears is when DH racing, and even still it's not a problem. More like a speed governor in a car designed to keep me safe from myself . You could always go to a 22/36 combo if you need a little more gearing. Where are you riding that you need the big ring?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

No dabs.
    I just joined the bash ring club and use a Dark Cycles bash ring with a Blackspire Stinger guide. Loved it right away, but the Stinger rotated a bit after a few rides. I took the whole deal off and put my big ring back on - and I couldn't stand the noise! This setup really smooths out shifting and chain slap. So I put a few drops of blue loctite on the BB and tightened it firmly. Been working since, and it looks sharp.

It is frustrating when you hit a road section and are limited to a slower speed, but like you I try to limit road sections to a bare minimum. I went looking for a 36 ring, but couldn't find it. After riding the 32 for a while, I decided it's all I need for now on the dirt. I might do a 34 some day. And I'm not sure my XTR front der. could handle a 22/36 - sounds like I'd need to go to a SLX.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    I got the e13 BG and guide.
    Noise from chainslap has dropped significantly, chainsuck is gone (due to some added engineering on my part), chain drops are also less frequent now.

http://www.e13components.com/product_dss.html

though e13 would be my choice for single ring, that baby is 250 grams

running a simple salsa ring dinger (44 grams) and a black spire stinger (90g) would be a much lighter setup for virtually the same thing
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    though e13 would be my choice for single ring, that baby is 250 grams

running a simple salsa ring dinger (44 grams) and a black spire stinger (90g) would be a much lighter setup for virtually the same thing
    Didn't realize the stinger was that light! Looks like I'm gonna follow Sjensen's setup and also just keep the 32 on for now, I used my big ring all the time but half of the time it was just to get rid of chain slap. Glad to hear that the guide doesn't create too much resistance, was paranoid about that

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've got a Stinger and Blackspire bash. Also running 24-36 front chainrings and 12-27 rear. RD is a short cage. It's quite a compact setup. But I think a 34T front chainring would be better. The 36T can be quite hard going sometimes.

www.derbyrims.com
    E-13 Turbocharger guard since early summer. I couldn't find bolts that fit the odd depth of the mount holes and had to grind down some standard size longer steel bash ring bolts. The E-13 web site advertises this guard can mount with the standard 3-ring light weight aluminum ring bolts, one of the selling features to me, but it can't, not even close.

I'm staying with 32/22 I like the 32 ring for most trail riding. Any higher would be a chore, especially with 650b rear wheel making all gears 5% higher. I'm actually using the smaller cogs more now and there's more even smooth feeling wear in these higher gear cogs as the chain "grows" in it's older age. I don't race so have no need for a higher gear.

I was able to remove a few chain links I don't remember how many. There's no benefit going to a smaller cage to save maybe 10 grams, the chain must remain the same minimum length so the longer cage makes more tension. And no need to change front der, it's made to shift the small and middle rings just fine as is. I tightened the front der big ring cable stop to avoid shifting into the guard by accident.

mtbr member
    Ordered up the goods today, went with a blackspire stinger guide with the MRP lightweight roller, A Saint Bashguard and the Saint mounting bolts. Gonna keep the 22/32 for now and see how it works out, and shorten up the chain a bit. Spend a total of $75,and thats only because I spend $20 on the MRP lightweight roller. I'll post up some pics when it all shows up, lookin forward to no more chain slap and less dropped chains