mtbr member

New question here. What is the advantage of external bottom cup?

The Ripley is going to have an external bottom cup head set according to the Ibis website. This builds an extra 12-14mm compared to semi-integrated, and when forks like the 140 Fox 34 builds an additional 7 mm (over the 20mm more travel) over a 120 32 Fox it could mean that handle bar height might be an issue. From the photos the head tubes does not look super short either.

Why not use semi-integrated?
    Last edited by simenf; 09-08-2012 at 04:29 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There's probably a few reasons.....one is the design of the frame. If I didn't hav the external cup on my HD the crown on the fork would hit the downtube.

mtbr member
    I can understand that it is designed for an external cup, but does external cup offer any advantages towards semi-integrated?

Simenf

Brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I wouldn't worry about the geometry of a bike designed around an external lower cup - that's already factored into the bar height you "should" have. Ibis engineers would have certainly considered that half-inch of stack height when they were doing CAD work on the frame and designed accordingly.

As for why, I don't know the specific reason they used an EC49/40 instead of something like a ZS56/40.

mtbr member
    It just seems old-fashioned when everyone else with carbon frames goes for ZS. Just wondered why.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Any new bike like this should have the 56/44 ZS. Looks allot better to IMO. Poor choice for a ground up design and Ibis is not alone in this regard. My 2 cents.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    One of the advantages of an external bottom cap is that you can use a cane creek angleset with a tapered fork. I really think it is good design. This is not a light weight XC bike. Having a variety of options means it can do all sorts of riding. A -1.5 degree angleset makes for a better handling park bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by d3toid View Post
    One of the advantages of an external bottom cap is that you can use a cane creek angleset with a tapered fork. I really think it is good design. This is not a light weight XC bike. Having a variety of options means it can do all sorts of riding. A -1.5 degree angleset makes for a better handling park bike.
    ZS 56 lower allows for 1.5 degree angleset with a tapered fork and personally I wouldn't be using the CC for a park bike. JMO

Works Components - Angle Headsets to fit Most Frame Types & CNC Bicycle Components Proudly Made in the UK

If you need more change than that you probably have the wrong bike or use a longer fork along with the angleset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Works components became available after the HD was designed. Early on they didn't even make headsets that could work in the short head tubes of the small and medium sized frames even now most of their sets are limited to 99/100cm head tubes and the small HD has a 94cm head tube.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    OP was talking about the new Ripley not the HD. For a newly designed bike like the Ripley I just think it should have had the ZS56 lower and 44 upper. Lower stack, cleaner look, possibly stronger, and the option to run angleset.

If/when the Mojo gets a makeover hopefully Ibis will go this route.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I thought you were talking about a bike you could actually buy.
    I think you are right the Ripley should have a ZS or internal headset like the origonal carbon mojo.
    I don't think a zs is inherentley stronger than an ec headset. A longer head tube will put less stress on the upper bearings.

Mtb Guide
    The big reason an external headset is used or better on the bottom is bearing size, 1.5 ht lowers is where allot of the stress is put on the HS, external means bigger headset bearings than internal and this is better for loads especially on 160mm bikes upwards.

Im a fan because it means I can keep my upper headset stack low, maintain the GEO with the ex traditional HS and have more fork options, big bearings is better though.

IBIS have this right imo for 160/140 mode, not so sure if running a 180mm fork just asking too much from any one frame to be awesome all all 3 travel lengths.

Mav.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Head tube width vs DT width

We used the external cup to reduce the difference in width between the head tube and the down tube.
    We did not want an ultra wide DT and also did not want a head tube that was a lot wider than the down tube.
    We are trying to find the right balance between all the factors and by doing it this way the frame is going to be lighter and have a smoother shape.
    It is also strong enough to run a Fox 140 34 fork and endure some hard use, so no problems there.

H

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well, with the ability to shape carbon I'm sure you could have made it look beautiful with a ZS56 lower but whatever. It's certainly not a deal breaker but I soooo much prefer the integrated look of ZS head sets. Maybe you should take a poll to go along with the next 5 bikes

mtbr member
    Thanks for the explanation, Hans.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.