www.derbyrims.com

Weight of X.9 vs. XTR rear derailleur

Weight of X.9 vs. XTR rear derailleur, and a general review of differences.

I havenít weighed my bikes in 10 years. But the Mojo is special in strength vs. weight and Iíve be come curious again about weight as I upgraded components on my SX build as they wear out now or originally swapped out that were not up to my standards (fork, shock, wheels, seat).

I had swapped the Sram shifting to my previously bikes í06 type XTR, but quickly returned to the Sram except the XTR front derailleur due to liking the thumb-only shifting better than Rapid Fireís thumb/index finger shift.

I weighed the shifting components as I swapped them.

I don't recall the actual weight I measured but the '06 X.9 Sram rear derailleur is within 2 or 3 grams of the '06 XTR. But the Sram front derailleur is about 2 ounces or over 50 grams heavier than XTR.

The levers are close to the same weight also in í06.

The '07 XTR's are slightly lighter than '06 versions.

Considering the extra cable required for the XTR then Sram X.9 level rear-shifting is ultimately lighter then XTR.

I like the shorter throw lever action of the '07 XTR better than Sram shifters. And the '07 Shimano can finally shift with thumb-only like Sram for better ease and braking while shifting, especially on rough trail. The XTR feels slightly more crisp and accurate. But to me the slightly more refined feel of XTR is not worth the many hundreds of dollars more the even í06 XTR costs over X.9, except for the front derailleur.

I was able to get the Sram front derailleur to run every gear without chain rub except in the small ring with the smallest few cogs, which should never be used anyway. But after many alignment attempts Iíve had to bend the cage of the í06 XTR slightly to clear the chain in the big ring to avoid some noisy rub either in the big or small rear cog. It was easy to bend the front of the cage slightly just enough to clear, with pliers. And it still shifts just fine. The Sram front shifts just as well as the XTR, but weighed significantly more.

It's the axle
    I'm pretty sure this has what you're looking for.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/

www.derbyrims.com
    QUOTE=Gregg K]I'm pretty sure this has what you're looking for.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/[/QUOTE]

Ha!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My '07 XTR RD weighed in at 198 grams. I'd have to check the FD weight as I didn't commit it to memory.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member

XT Shadow 2008

Since this is an upgrade and you are not in a hurry a good candidate is the XT 2008.

It has many improvements in respect to the 2007 XT (very low profile in high gear, that is why it is called shadow, direct cable routing, stronger spring) and weights about the same of the X.9 (238 grams ... plus you can shave off the XT ans shimano logos and save precious fractions of grams ) See http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...ano_deore.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    ... the XT 2008.

It has many improvements in respect to the 2007 XT (very low profile in high gear, that is why it is called shadow, direct cable routing, stronger spring) and weights about the same of the X.9 (238 grams ...
    It should weigh about the same.... right of the bat it sounds and looks like a direct copy!

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by 4212darren
    My '07 XTR RD weighed in at 198 grams. I'd have to check the FD weight as I didn't commit it to memory.
    My 06' XTR 961 weighs 130 grams after cutting off the downpull tab that isn't needed on the Mojo.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"