Thread: Weight savings

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Weight savings

I have the mojo sl and love it. Though it's very light and rides even lighter, another pound would help out quite a bit on the 8 hour rides (like tomorrows ride), well any ride really. What are some suggestions to lose little weight without spending a ton of money. In retrospect I would of gone with the next built kid up. I called or emailed all the dealers on the west coast to find any built mojos in a med, this was last december so I got the SL as it was the only one I could find. Since I was heading to moab and had just sold my Nomad I jumped on it. Like I said, I am happy with it, i think it's great value but want to lose a little weight if possible. I was skeptical of the easton wheels, but they have been perfect and are light. The brakes I think work pretty well but are so so. I have read posts in the past of 23 and 24 lb mojos, how are people doing this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    As a proud owner of a 24 pound Mojo, I suggest following options:
    - brakes (get the Avid Ultimate, they brake great and are light in 180-160 setup)
    - tyres (I also own the Kenda and they have great grip, but there are much lighter tyres available like Schwalbe Nobby Nic)
    - Saddle, get a SLR Titanium. I ride SLR on MTB and Road and really love them even on a 6+ hour ride!!)
    Other options would be expensive, but I got to a 24 pound bike with a Pace fork and Mavic-SLR wheelset. Switching to other tyres would make a 23 bike possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Off topic, but how does it compare to your Nomad?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb
    I have the mojo sl and love it. Though it's very light and rides even lighter, another pound would help out quite a bit on the 8 hour rides (like tomorrows ride), well any ride really. What are some suggestions to lose little weight without spending a ton of money. In retrospect I would of gone with the next built kid up. I called or emailed all the dealers on the west coast to find any built mojos in a med, this was last december so I got the SL as it was the only one I could find. Since I was heading to moab and had just sold my Nomad I jumped on it. Like I said, I am happy with it, i think it's great value but want to lose a little weight if possible. I was skeptical of the easton wheels, but they have been perfect and are light. The brakes I think work pretty well but are so so. I have read posts in the past of 23 and 24 lb mojos, how are people doing this?
    Why don't you post your list of components, it is kind of hard to suggest without knowing the details ...
    Below is my current set up if it helps ... (weights in grams)

BRAKES (gr) Brakes Complete Magura Marta (180/160 alu/titanium bolts) 690
    DRIVE TRAIN (gr) TNT Titanium BB with aluminum bolts 160
    Race Face LP 170 mm with Sugino III rings
    titanium/aluminum bolts 705
    Rear Der Sachs (1997) alu bolts and pulleys 191
    Front Der (XT 2004 alu bolts) 126
    SRAM 850 11-32 260
    Chain (KMC X9SL) 235
    CONTROLS (gr) Grips (Azonic Love with plastic plugs) 86
    HandleBar Easton Monkeylite HR 165
    Shifters (1997 Sachs R cut and tuned alu bolts) 135
    Shifter Cables (Clarks) 110
    Stem 110 (Thomson titanium bolts) 180
    FORK (gr) Fox Fork Float RLC 1735

Silk Seatpost collar with titanium bolt 14
    IS 8 + star fangled (10) + bolt (4) +spacers (6)-race crown 89
    Seat Post (Thompson masterpiece, titanium bolts) 186
    Seat (WTB Speed V) 190
    WHEELS (gr) Front+Rear Garcia/WTB 1580
    Skwewers (steel non-quick release) 60
    Tires (Schwalbe Nobby Nic/Big Jimmy 2.4/2.25) 1220
    Tubes (Torelli) 260
    Total Components (Kg) 8217
    Total Components (pounds) 18.09911894
    FRAME (gr) medium 2550
    FRAME (pounds) 5.616740088
    TOTAL (Kg) 10.767
    (lbs) 23.71585903
    Pedals Frog (steel) 250
    TOTAL (Kg) 11.017
    (lbs) 24.26651982
    Last edited by Davide; 05-30-2007 at 11:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well, I know I am going to get some grief on this one, but it doesn't campare to the Nomad. Frankly, I am not a huge Nomad fan, after having one for 1.5 years. Most people call the Nomad a do everything well bike, I would say it's the opposite, at least for my riding style. The angles are way to slack for my taste, you have to start turning very early, it's heavier than it needs to be, doesn't do well out of the saddle standing, my knees hit the bars on switchback, even after a few stem swaps, and the cockpit is very tight. I had the pro-pedal which had no lockout, I would do the DHX for sure. What did I like, it's bullet proof, the 36 mm fork is amazing, it looks sexy but wasn't good on long rides. Don't ask we why but we ended up riding well over 10 hours today, I couldn't not of done the ride on a Nomad. Basicially that bike is for under 3 hour techinical rides, ski resorts, and BC type stuff. I am still a huge Santa Cruz fan and still have Super Light which I love. I might add I only weigh 150 lbs, I am aggessive but also like climbing.

The Ibis, I can do any trail I did on the Nomad, it doesn't feel like it has much less travel, though I wouldn't do any hucking on the Ibis. The steering angles are about perfect. The bob on the nomad was awful, it's factory valved so it can't be adjusted. I called SC to see about re-valving, they had me call fox, fox said I should buy a new shock. It can with the low pro pedal setting but I had no choice. there is very little bob on the Ibis, I use the pro pedal number two for dirt road and pavement sections. It's soooo much lighter, you can use it on ultra long days, the VPP design on the Nomad made it feel to mushy where the Ibis has spring, you feel like you can sprint but still makes me feel like a hero climbing.

I could go on and on. bottom line I feel the Ibis is the perfect bike for me right now. I have many friends with Nomads that LOVE them, granted the came off 45 lb SC Bullets so the Nomad is "light" for them. Let me know if you want more feedback. Don't get mad at me if I gave you too much!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    That sounds like a super sweet bike. I think I am going to swap out the brakes, I had the Juicy 7's and loved them. The ultimates seem like the way to go. I will look into those tires too. I am doing the TransRockies in Aug and am still trying to figure out tires. My bikes is the SL build, completely stock, I wanted the other one but there were no other ones available anywhere is Dec when I bought mine.

Thanks much for the breakdown on your ride. I put some Conti Vertical Pros on yesterday before the huge ride today since the Kenda was worn. There are not super light but I thought they were great.

holding back the darkness
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb
    The bob on the nomad was awful, it's factory valved so it can't be adjusted. I called SC to see about re-valving, they had me call fox, fox said I should buy a new shock.
    Have you considered a PUSH industries factory tune? Those guys have tons of experience tuning shocks and specifically in tuning shocks for the Nomad. (The head honcho rides one). Sorry to hijack the thread
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    My medium Mojo came in at 24.95 pounds (digital Ultimate Alpine scale) ready-to-ride. My mix of parts was not quite as exotic as Davide's, but it's still pretty impressive considering what this bike offers. I was tempted to install my well-used Speedplay Ti Frog pedals as well (204 grams), but the XTR's work fantastic. Here's most of the parts I weighed (digital Ultimate Tabletop scale) and am currently using on my Mojo:

Frame (medium with Fox Float RP23): 2290 grams
    Fork (Fox 32 Float RLC w/ uncut steerer): 1784 grams
    Front wheel (DT 190 Hub/DT Revolution spokes/DT XR 2.4d): 597 grams
    Rear wheel (DT 190 Hub/DT Revolution spokes/DT XR 2.4d): 697 grams
    Handlebars (Ritchey WSC Low Rizer Carbon): 180 grams
    Stem (Ibis Mojo 110mm): 117 grams
    Saddle (WTB Silverado SLT): 196 grams
    Seatpost (Ritchey WCS Carbon 330mm): 195 grams
    Crankset ('07 XTR 175mm): 685 grams
    Bottom Bracket (XTR): 102 grams
    Front Brake ('07 XTR Disc w/ 180mm rotor): 423 grams
    Rear Brake ('07 XTR Disc w/160mm rotor): 393 grams
    Rear Derailleur ('07 XTR long cage): 199 grams
    Front Derailleur ('07 XTR): 148 grams
    Chain (SRAM 991 Hollowlink w/ 114 links): 278 grams
    Shifters ('07 XTR Rapidfire w/ no cables): 218 grams
    Front Tire (WTB Motoraptor 2.24): 220 grams
    Rear Tire (WTB Motoraptor 2.24): 219 grams
    Cassette ('07 XTR 11-32): 228 grams
    Pedals ('07 XTR): 325 grams
    Front Skewer ('07 XTR): 56 grams
    Rear Skewer ('07 XTR): 62 grams
    My Wanted List:

1. '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue (small)