mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Water bottle holder

I'm going to race my Mojo Cross Country this year and am a little worried about hauling water. The bottom mount is a little dicey so I was wondering if the types the Triathalon geeks use are a viable option? I only noticed them today when I picked up a Triathalon magazine. I don't need an aero one but the handlebar mount may work. Or will it?
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

banned
    EDIT

"cross country", not, across the country... hehe.

My bad.

I wondered what race that was going to be....
    Last edited by 29Colossus; 01-19-2007 at 09:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    From my personal experience the handlebar bottles (I think Profile Design makes the "standard" one) and the under-seat holders are both prone to launching when going over bumps on a road bike; not very mountain bike friendly.

I stopped using both as they were less secure than the down tube or seat tube mounts, and during the Chicago Triathlon Lake Shore Drive was littered with bottles (still full as most were clear) a couple of which I watched launch from some under seat mounts. That and the seat tube/ down tube mounting of bottles actually makes a bike more aero than no bottles or the underseat/handlebar variety according to the guys at MIT.

Not sure about seat post mounts as I've never used 'em, but if they are vertical my guess is that they'd be as good as a seat tube mount. On my mountain bike I've never lost a Tacx bottle out of a Tacx Tao cage, but I have lost a Specialized-style (almost all of the screw top bottles are made by the big S even if it's got someone else's logo on it, just take a look on the bottom for the S logo) bottle on a really long, baby head infested downhill (30 min+) going silly fast once on my hardtail. Most likely I didn't return the bottle all the way in, but if the course is really rough I'll only use Tacx bottles (the 'source' model).

YMMV, but that's my experience when it comes to bottles and cages. Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I noticed the new Intense Spyder 29 has a mount real low on the down tube. Or, for that matter engineering something that would fit in the hole high on the down tube, above the sculpted shock mount. Side mounting some type of cage to hold the correct size bottle from the side might work.....
    I wonder if anyone at Ibis has looked at either solution. Considering how many mojos they are selling they probably don't care; even though for some really picky mountain bikers, it is a frame buying show stopper.
    Oh yea, but I sure do want one anyways
    Sorry I meant down tube; it was early.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 01-22-2007 at 04:54 AM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by glovemtb
    I noticed the new Intense Spyder 29 has a mount real low on the head tube. Or, for that matter engineering something that would fit in the hole high on the head tube, above the sculpted shock mount. Side mounting some type of cage to hold the correct size bottle from the side might work.....
    I wonder if anyone at Ibis has looked at either solution. Considering how many mojos they are selling they probably don't care; even though for some really picky mountain bikers, it is a frame buying show stopper.
    Bottle mount on the headtube?

I don't think so...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    How about one of these sideways mounted from the top tube (in the lil sculpted hole where room should have been made for one at least on the medium and large molds, imho.)
    Then, with some type of rubber strap to secure.
    I have a good idea; someone send me a medium mojo frame and I will come up with something really cool !

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Twofish has some water bottle holding solutions that may adapt to the Mojo. www.twofish.biz

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks, The Quick Cage looks promising.

mtbr member

A warning about bottles on carbon frames

A mate of mine ownes a spesh carbon epic, he crashed the other day and his leg, he thinks it was his leg, hit his water bottle, one of the mounts tore out of the carbon. Two little screws in to carbon + the sudden side load impact of a knee on a full bottle of water=not good.....anything 2 hours or less, i just scull 1.5 litres before i hit the trail and put a bottle or two in my jersy..Sculling 1.5 litres before you ride might sound a bit strange but if you drink it earlier, you will have to piss....Also after sculling, you might feel a bit bloated, but this goes away in about 2 mins..then you can ride in the most balmy conditions for about 1.5 hours without a need to drink.I call it the camel gut, I have ordered a camelback flashflow waist pack 1.5 litre. For my really long rides. I will do the above procedure and were the waist pack.. That will give me 4.5 litres storage cap.Ps my mojo is on its way....

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTBURP
    ............ i just scull 1.5 litres before i hit the trail and put a bottle or two in my jersy......
    This might explain your handle: dirtBURP !

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Been riding carbon mountain frames for many years since 93' or so, with nary a water bottle cage fracture issue . (Trek OCLVs though [non-monocoque by the way] ). Of course, there are always exceptions. Many pro racers x-country or endurance prefer not to use camelbaks on loop courses. Then, others prefer to keep the camelbak's bladder clean with only water and use the water bottle for electrolyte fluid replacement.
    Anyways, the Mojo is absolutely a beautifully sculpted frame and will sale very well because of that alone. (Not to mention ~ 5.8 lb medium frame with 5.5 " of travel !)
    That said; some old school bike design engineers would say a bike design has to cover the basics, such as functional water bottle mount 1st (in-spite of the great artistic merit of designs by non bicycle design professionals).
    Several reviews that I have read by pro reviewers had only one knock on the Mojo carbon and that was water bottle mount. Note also, considering where the current bottle mount is on the Mojo, it would probably be much more prone to being torn off the frame than traditional mount placement. On the Mojo, some would just use the bottle treads to mount a little extra protection there. Also, don't some carbon mtb frame designs actually reinforce that area with replaceable plates ? Such as Titus's RX carbon which has a replaceable carbon plate to protect it there. ( I believe but don't quote me.....ever.)
    Oh, yea; and I still want one.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 01-28-2007 at 04:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hello all,

We would have loved to put another WB mount on the Mojo, but we wanted to put the shock in a position where you could easily reach the controls and also get a nice low standover height for a 5.5" travel bike. So... there just wasn't enough room for everything. Sometimes you can't have it all.
    We put the mounts under the down tube for a battery holder more than for carrying water and they have especially strong riv nuts since we know that if it does get used, the under the DT position takes a beating. The bottle / battery is hanging rather than perched on top of the tube plus all manner of things might try to tear it off. We get it...
    We were joking about it yesterday "remember when you used to have to ride one handed while trying desperately not to crash and wipe the dirt / dung / weird unidentified stuff off your bottle to get a drink?"
    The camel back certainly has it's merits. The only thing that bothers me about them is the extra insulation on a hot day. They do make for a nice soft landing if you crash and land on your back though. They've saved me a few times that way The newer ones are much easier to clean as well...

Cheers!

Hans

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I always ride trails with a Camel Back, a big 3 Litre bladder. I don't ever want to walk out so I carry some gear. It's for my XC races that I worry about but maybe I can carry small bottles in my jersey or stash a couple on course when I do the warm-up lap. The Tri geeks have the belts for gels and water maybe that is worth a try.I'll manage somehow.

www.derbyrims.com
    Since going to my first water pack 10+ years ago I've only used water bottles for a "reserve tank" usually only a small size that's only half full only larger and filled for unknown long rides, because you can't tell when a bladder will go dry.

Also I like having no extra weight attached to the bike for better handling feel.

I'm thinking now without a usable water bottle mount on the Mojo, that I'll add a smaller second bladder to my HAWG for a reserve tank for those longer unknown rides. Or possibly a seat post mounted bottle holder to keep the water weight on my back from getting to be too much.

I am using the under down-tube mount to attach a "fugly" down-tube fender for muddy rides.

And using a small and light lithium-ion battery strapped to the stem for my main bar-mount light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here's an ok place for the water bottle on the Moj.http://www.profile-design.com/2006_p.../aquarack.html
    It would be pretty simple to remove one of the holders so just one bottle would be back there. I use the camelbak for water and I carry my hydration fuel mixes for the bottle. Still, not a very handy location for a mountain bike enduro event. (at least better than none.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005