mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Waiting... pure hell :(

Hi guys,

those of you who had to wait for their frame for a long time might share the feeling of... aaargh, waiting for the frame being REALLY difficult.

I thought about buying a Mojo in October and postponed till Jan to get an SL. Then the XL frames got delayed and it became Feb, then March.

Now the first batch has arrived and I didnt get one. Reports seem to indicate that it will be beginning to Mid April till the next ones arrive.

What to do? I really like the rubberized paint of the SL, but should I just go with the standard frame? How much does it cost if I take the Ti bolt kit and the DT Shock with it? (Derby's positive reports have me thinking about it)...

Any ideas or advice is very much appreciated

Cheers
    Jever
    PS: I failed to mention that all other parts are here or in the mail to me, so the frame is the final missing piece

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I was thinking of waiting for the SL, but went for the standard with Ti bolt kit and DT Shock, I also upgraded to the Talas and went with the full XT kit. My frame is a large and (on some not very reliable scales) it came out at 26.5lbs.

I am very very happy, love the bike and even in the UK mud, rain and cold I am having a great time. I thought I could wait a year or so let any, if there are any teething problems with the SL go through the system and then get one!
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I feel your pain -- not to make things worse but my LBS was talking with IBIS -- no Gray frames till the end of April.

I bet the end of April is when the rest of the XL frames will start to come in as well. I was told that if I switch to a clear from a gray I can get a large in a couple weeks. While this is not a bad option it would be a first to pay 5 grand for a mountain bike then wait 6 months and not get what I ordered.

I would have more patience if I was not told - promised even - January no wait February; oops sorry March... perhaps the end of April/early May. The getting your hopes up to ride and watching gorgeous 50F spring days go by with no mountain bike is surely hell. At least now when they say "end of April" it is an "estimate" (don't get your hopes up).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    wow my ibis is so sick, i pretty much ride it everyday, so silky smooth. Anyhow, I just went with the regular mojo clear carbon and got in like five days. I'm not sure if your a huge weight guy but it might not be worth the wait for the sl

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    My Large Matte Clear SL will be assembled tomorrow. I brought the frame home for a couple days before I took it back to the shop. It looks incredible. It's even better than I had imagined. I hope the ride will also exceed my expectations. I say be patient and wait for what you really want.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    yea your right i seem to have the issue of impulse buying, wanting it right now, the ride will hopefully exceed your expectations i was amazed at the down hill capabilites, its really whippy

mtbr member
    I feel your pain, I too ordered in early Jan, small SL, clear. Got the "it will be 6-8 weeks" from my LBS. OK no problem the Cohutta 100 is mid-April. Well my small wasn't in the Feb shipment and now my shop is saying a few more weeks. I am now figuring it will not be here for Cohutta I am sticking it out however and waiting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

teething problems? Ibis?

Having quite a bit of experience with Ibis now I can't see teething problems being a problem. That seems the remit of Cannondale at the moment with frames breaking on numerous tests. I'm certainly waiting it out for the SL. Winter riding here in the UK is hard-tail territory anyway so when the skies go blue (if ever ) ) then the SL will hit the trails.

I feel your pain though guys bu it will be worhth the wait for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes. Waiting is... pure hell. I ordered Trek Fuel EX 9.5 and waited Oct 1 til Jan 31 . Local Trek Distributor in the Philippines failed to deliver. I asked goyoyl of Bike Town Cyclery @ Makati City Philippines for Ibis Mojo. His reply was "give me one day to deliver standard naked small frame and one month to produce rubberized lighter SL frame." I suffered waiting long enough. I bought standard Ibis very next day. And I have been a very happy Ibis Mojo rider eversince.

My advise? Standard or Rubberized SL frame? Get quickest what is readily available. Ibis Mojo ride is too pleasurable for you to even get bugged down choosing one over the other.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Yea, But That Gray Is So Damn Purdy

Quote Originally Posted by smkndrgn
    I feel your pain -- not to make things worse but my LBS was talking with IBIS -- no Gray frames till the end of April.

I bet the end of April is when the rest of the XL frames will start to come in as well. I was told that if I switch to a clear from a gray I can get a large in a couple weeks. While this is not a bad option it would be a first to pay 5 grand for a mountain bike then wait 6 months and not get what I ordered.

I would have more patience if I was not told - promised even - January no wait February; oops sorry March... perhaps the end of April/early May. The getting your hopes up to ride and watching gorgeous 50F spring days go by with no mountain bike is surely hell. At least now when they say "end of April" it is an "estimate" (don't get your hopes up).
    When did you order your gray ? I ordered in Dec. Told first end of jan, feb, march, and now....They must be having a rough time...boxer rebellion maybe
    I'm gonna stick with the gray. Imagine in a couple of years when you see one out there after you switched your order. (At least for me, I would not be happy.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am going to go clear matte. I have a Moab trip planned for the first part of May with friends coming from across the country for 5 days of riding. We planned the trip back in October when I placed my order -- I never thought it would take this long. At the time I figured it would probably be a month late but never 4.

I looked around at other bike frame options but honestly the same reasons that convinced me to lay down the cash for the SL keep me from looking at anything else. As someone else posted here, the clear is like a dark gray. Riding a dark gray in Moab in early May with friends is far better than being stubborn for a light gray and renting some piece of crap to ride -- especially with 3 grand worth of parts in boxes in the corner.

holding back the darkness
    it as been said that "Having is not such a pleasing a thing as wanting". In this case it is not true. Having is that good.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ...good to hear I'm not alone out there. Kind of feels like an AA meeting:
    Hi, my name is Jever and I'm an SL waiter. I have been without my frame for almost four months now. When it gets really tough I go to MTBR.com and look at pretty Mojo pictures...

Anyway,I'm getting so desparate that I bought electronic kitchen scales today and started weighing the parts I have.

Hans, if you have more precise updates on the ETA of the next batch, please let us know.

Thanks
    Jever

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Btw, what parts are you going to on your frames?

Here's what I have lined up:
    - SL matte clear XL with DT shock
    - Pace RC41 Fighter QR fork
    - M2Racer skewers
    - Hope Pro2 hubs, Supercomp Spokes, DT Swiss 4.2
    - Maxxis Larsen TT 2.35 front, 2.0 rear
    - Michelin latex tubes
    - X0 Triggers, X0 rear derailleur, XT front derailleur
    - XTR cranks
    - XT cassette 11-36
    - Crank brothers Egg Beater SL pedals
    - SRAM 990 chain
    - Oro Puro brakes with Alligator Windcutter discs 180/180 and match makers for the triggers
    - Syntace P6 seat post
    - Selle SLR Trans am saddle
    - IS8 headset
    - Race Face Deus stem 120mm
    - Bontrager XXX Lite handle bar
    - Race Face Good n Evil grips

I am guessing that I will come out just over 11kg (24.2lbs). I am also toying with the idea of adding an adjustable seat post, probably a gravity dropper (turbo?)

Cheers
    Jever

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by smkndrgn
    I am going to go clear matte. ... As someone else posted here, the clear is like a dark gray.
    The most likely it was my post, have a look at close-up photos to make your own opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Check this thread "All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here"

Some pics & eager mojo waiting going on!

Cheers fellow Ibisians

Grams Light Bikes
    FYI, the same scarcity issue existed a year + ago for the initial Mojo's, I got lucky and got one of the first one's in the country cause the first person on the wait list wanted a whole bike not a frame only.