mtbr member

Wait, we're not supposed to use chain lube that contains mineral spirits? WTH?

Reading through the Ibis instruction book I found the following. I've been using home-brew chain lube (motor oil + mineral spirits) for years. Am I damaging things? I know there are some plastic parts of deraileurs and PF BBs. I don't run an e*thirteen crank.

Caution
    Mineral Spirits are a common solvent used in some popular lubricants for bicycle chains. This chemical solvent is extremely effective at dissolving dirt and grime; however, Mineral Spirits are also extremely harmful to all types of plastics, such as the polycarbonates used on the bash ring on our e*thirteen crankset. Pay very close attention to this list of approved and unapproved lubricants and degreasers! When in doubt, ride dirty.
    Approved Lubricants:
    Tri-Flow Superior Regular (Drip Bottle Only)
    Finish Line - Wet, Wax, Ceramic Pedros SynLube
    White Lightning Dumond Tech
    Approved Degreasers:
    Finish Line Multi-Degreaser
    Pedros BIO Degreaser (Drip Only)
    Not Recommended:
    WD-40 - Mineral Spirits
    Any lubricant using Mineral Spirits Most household lubricants Boeshield T9 can - Butane propellant Tri-Flow -Superior Dry
    Finish Line - Dry, 1 Step
    Prolink Pro Gold
    Purple Extreme

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Reading through the Ibis instruction book I found the following. I've been using home-brew chain lube (motor oil + mineral spirits) for years. Am I damaging things? I know there are some plastic parts of deraileurs and PF BBs. I don't run an e*thirteen crank.
    If you don't have a bash or chain guide I wouldn't worry about it. But heed the warning if you do. I ruined a polycarbonate Gamut bashguard using Progold chain lube.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    This is not news, all the chainguide manufacturers have been warning this forever with their plastic guards

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    This is not news, all the chainguide manufacturers have been warning this forever with their plastic guards
    And I have been using chain lube with mineral spirits for at least 15 years with no issues. Use only aluminum bash guards.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I think the OP was also worried about the plastic on press fit bottom brackets. Not sure about that one not having used one.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I think the OP was also worried about the plastic on press fit bottom brackets. Not sure about that one not having used one.
    I have a PF plastic cup BB. No problems yet. If you are getting any noticeable amount of chain lube on the BB you are WAY over lubing your chain.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common