Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Vengeance and Vector owners, post your configs

I installed a Vengeance HLR and Vector HLR air on my HD earlier this week and will be going on my first real ride tomorrow. Given the amount of adjustments, especially with the rear shock, I expect to take a bit to get everything dialed in. If you have any advice, feel free to share, and I will document my setup as time goes on.

www.derbyrims.com
    Congratulations! Great choices for a great bike!

I think settings depends on your riding style. I like deep sag, very compliant action for the many rock hits and eroded trails, and my relatively slower and cautious pace compared to young racers. So with 25% fork 35+% rear sag in seated riding position, my rebound is near middle of the knob's range, and both compression knobs are a couple or three clicks in from the fastest/softest limit. Start with the Vector's reservoir air pressure at the low limit, 180psi, with maximum volume and adjust your shock to best action.

If you find you need firm HSC shock adjustment to prevent hard bottoming, reduce the reservoir chamber air volume and increase that air pressure, for increasing rising rate bottom bumper effect of the reservoir air adjustments. X-fusion says to lower the reserve air pressure no lower than 150psi when adjusting the volume to be able to turn the knob with the help of a small Allen tool, 180psi is the minimum ride pressure. 300psi is max I think, not sure, so better check if getting close to that. The HD has an ideal rising rate linked shock leverage for linear coil springs according to Darren Murphy owner of PUSH Industries, with an air shock the HD probably doesn't need very much bottom out support from the reserve chamber. Running the coil Vector HLR, with my deep sag preference, and running tall 27.5 inch wheels with shock travel limiting shims, I have reduced reserve chamber volume by 25% of the adjusters range and increased pressure to 225psi, which helped the ramp up bottomless feel but still lightly bottom the shimmed shorter travel sometimes landing smaller jumps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey folks, new Vector/Vengeance air owner here and running into some trouble. I've 650b'd my HD and had previously shimmed my RP23 to limit travel and avoid potentially catastrophic seat-tube/tire impact. When I unscrewed the air can on th e Vector Air I noticed that the piston rod has a wider diameter than that of the RP23 (so my old shims won't work) and also that the shims would be sitting on a raised area unlike the wider flat surface at the top of the RP23 assembly. I tried to throw in a couple of hard rubber washers (slitting them to get them on) however when i bottomed out the shock they seem to have just slid off the rod. In any case, I think I am going to have to disassemble the shock to slide metal washers onto the rod but I am having trouble finding those instructions online. Do you guys know where I can find that stuff?

Thanks in advance!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    I installed a Vengeance HLR and Vector HLR air on my HD earlier this week and will be going on my first real ride tomorrow. Given the amount of adjustments, especially with the rear shock, I expect to take a bit to get everything dialed in. If you have any advice, feel free to share, and I will document my setup as time goes on.
    Pictures or it didn"t happen

Good idea for info too btw.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    pic, 'cause it did happen

just waiting on a white saddle to tie into the white fork...
    Last edited by tdotrider; 03-21-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Mtb Guide
    Cool cheers, sweet rig dude!
    Last edited by Maverick005; 03-21-2013 at 11:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    doh, bad link - should be fixed now.

For the Vector I'm starting with 120psi in the shock, 180 boost valve (low limit) with HSC & LSC wide open/soft and rebound 4 clicks from wide open. I find that I have to use a thin allen key to turn the rebound adjuster on the shock because my fingers can't fit in there. This gives me about 30% sag at my 210lbs (geared up).

I can't remember now how much air I have in the fork but it's at 25% sag, with HSC/LSC 4 clicks in from open. Unfortunately spring is late to arrive in Southern Ontario so my first ride with this shock/fork will likely be a sluggish snowy adventure trying to stay in the narrow path packed down by fatbikes and hikers...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Pictures or it didn"t happen

Good idea for info too btw.
    I'll get some on Saturday with it sitting next to the Ripley I am going to demo (and possibly buy). In addition I will update the thread with my fork and shock settings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Iceman69 sent me his Vector Air settings:
    So far I have been riding this Vector air for 2 months. I go back and forth a few clicks h/lo speed compression from time to time. I weigh about 150, run 30% sag.
    12 clicks to soft from full hard HSC
    14 click to soft from full hard LSC
    180 psi in boost valve as minimum.

Mtb Guide
    I'll get some on Saturday with it sitting next to the Ripley I am going to demo (and possibly buy). In addition I will update the thread with my fork and shock settings.
    sweet, look forward to seeing ya HD beside a Ripley too

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ok I've figured out my shock shimming issue...after trying all sorts of crap I found that a 1/2" pvc plumbing pipe did the trick. I sliced off a 4mm piece and cut a slit, then snapped it onto the piston rod (if that's what it's called). Now I've got ~3/8" seat tube clearance at full bottom out with no air in the can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vengeance and Vector owners, post your configs-vector_shim.jpg  

ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hi guys, for those of you running Vengeance HLR forks, what travel are you running them at? I just picked one up and swapped out my trusty Lyrik Mission Control Coil for it. I don't have enough ride time on it to give you any worthwhile opinion, but hope to soon. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm running a new Vengeance HLR fork @ 160mm and a Vector Air HLR w DW tune.
    Body weight - 175 w gear

Vengeance:
    Air pressure - 70 psi
    LSC - 3/4 clicks from full open (soft)
    HSC - 2 clicks from full open
    Rebound - 1 click from fastest

Vector:
    30-35% sag
    LSC (fire road climbing) - 7 clicks from full open
    LSC (normal) - 4 clicks from full open
    Rebound - 4 clicks from fastest

Love this setup!!!

aka dan51
    I'm now part of the xfusion vengeance/vector team.
    I just put the Vengeance on last week and have 2 rides on it. So far it's been really nice. I rode it around the neighborhood in 170mm mode, and the bike felt and handled like ****. I dropped it to 160mm and the bike came back to life for me. The added a2c over the lyrik was very noticeable for me. It's only 10mm, but by the time I got to the end of the driveway I knew I'd be dropping it.

For the Vector, I could not get this thing to feel good for ages. I kept lowering pressure and HSC/LSC, but it always felt rough and unresponsive. I was ready to throw it out. One day I decided to give it a tiny bit of HSC, which transformed the shock into something useful. At wide open HSC, something is not working right, but give it 1/4 to 1/2 turn from wide open, and it becomes significantly more plush. It's still not as nice as my Vector RC coil, but it's still pretty damn good.

I'll post my settings later.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    i am back interested in this shock again as i cant seem to wrap my head around how to shim travel on ccdb air. tdotrider, any chance you could throw in some sort of a short review on HLR?
    thanks
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I just put the Vengeance on last week and have 2 rides on it. So far it's been really nice. I rode it around the neighborhood in 170mm mode, and the bike felt and handled like ****. I dropped it to 160mm and the bike came back to life for me. The added a2c over the lyrik was very noticeable for me. It's only 10mm, but by the time I got to the end of the driveway I knew I'd be dropping it.
    I can relate to this. The extra a2c over the Lyrik and a larger front tire I can run in the Vengeance make me think about getting rid of angleset.

I also find tuning of the HLR AIR somehow more complicated than of a Lyrik U-Turn.

Mtb Guide
    Rider Mav
    Rider Weight - 200lbs
    Likes big airs, hard cornering and technical trails.

Shock Vector HLR air 8.5x2.5 @ 160mm travel
    Sag - need to recheck this?
    Main shock pressure (spring rate) - was 155psi
    Now running @ 130psi to get 33% sag
    Boost Valve - 185psi to be safe
    Rebound - midway
    LSC - 2 clicks from soft
    HSC - 4 clicks from soft

Note: Fork 160mm
    sag - 25%
    Air Spring - 100psi

This is what Ive settled on for now, I will do more testing and experimenting to find the best settings possible for me.

But this to date has been nothing short of phenomnal for me, so much grip at the rear, manuals so much easier than before, jumps I having to make sure I dont jump to flat, previous jumps I was hitting harder and struggling to get the distance I do now effortlessly.

**Corners just cant describe how much better this is and for all you weight weanies and climbing freaks, it climbs amazing esspecially where I was expecting to lose ground on fire roads to the Fox, Im finding climbing much more enjoyable and easier less pressure on my back and neck and Im scooting uphill so much more efficiently its weird, it shouldnt be doing this but it is, controlled controlled controlled is how Id describe this shock.

Ive ridden DH for years had Cane Creeks CCDB, pro tunes, but this shock looks fantastic and performs to date even better.

Still need to prove the long term reliability test, but Im confident!

Ps Im loving this shock its everything and more, did a wet Enduro training session today,
    fun fun fun, ride partner was not happy but I all smiles, she was unclipped
    while I was having a blast shock is so controlled and grip, I can really just ride
    and that was after 4 hrs trail building in the rain so I was pretty smacked but still loving it.
    Love my Vector thanks XF
    Last edited by Maverick005; 09-18-2013 at 12:28 AM.

aka dan51
    Mav, 165psi? That seems super high. I am 210 riding weight and was running mine at 135psi for the same amount of sag.

I am no longer running the vector hlr air, I have gone back to the coil version. I could never get the air to feel anywhere near as good as the coil version. I ran the air for 6 months and never once was able to clean a certain techy climb, while with the coil it was rare for me to not make it. The shock was great, but no comparison to the coil version. I'll take the 1lb weight penalty.

The vengeance air on the other hand is performing better than I expected. It replaced a lyrik rc2dh, and I have no regrets with that. So far this is the best fork I have ever ridden.
    Quadzilla

Mtb Guide
    Ill re confirm that when I get my digital pump this week, lbs measured my sag, I don't trust my shock pump Im sure its off by 10-15 psi

Still feels great, I've not run a coil on the HD to compare, but Im definitely not feeling what you did, maybe the dwl tune or shim stack setup on yours was different to mine.

I am a coil fan, esp for DH bikes but prefer air for this bike, this is my Enduro weapon and while I like to go big, I need to be able to do guiding all day up and down, I feel I have the perfect compromise for me and where I ride, it feels firm but Im also getting all my travel on both fork and shock, I had the O Ring off the shaft every ride yet never felt like I bottomed her.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

For the Vector, I could not get this thing to feel good for ages. I kept lowering pressure and HSC/LSC, but it always felt rough and unresponsive. I was ready to throw it out. One day I decided to give it a tiny bit of HSC, which transformed the shock into something useful. At wide open HSC, something is not working right, but give it 1/4 to 1/2 turn from wide open, and it becomes significantly more plush. It's still not as nice as my Vector RC coil, but it's still pretty damn good.

I'll post my settings later.
    Any update?

I've been running 170 since day one and have enjoyed it. I found that I can climb very step things and going down is great. I'm still learning how to tune the fork and shock for different situations (rocky stuff, park days, etc) but overall am very happy with it especially compared to my old Rockshox and Fox experiences.

aka dan51
    Any update?
    Latest update is 2 responses above this one, assuming you are using the linear thread view mode.

Bottom line, the fork is RAD, and I've gone back to the coil Vector.
    Quadzilla

Mtb Guide
    Anyone seen this from XF

We've been touting the performance of X-Fusion's suspension offerings for a few seasons now, with the Santa Cruz, California, based company putting out some seriously good products that, at least in our minds, rival anything else on the market. Premium suspension market in a way that not many were expecting.

X-Fusion Revel HLR Details

Intended use: all-mountain/enduro
    Travel: 140 - 160mm (650B), 120 - 140mm (29'')
    X-Fusion HLR Damper
    Adjustments: high/low speed, independently adjustable compression and rebound
    Spring: 'Dual-Spring Air System'
    34mm stanchion tubes
    Tapered steerer tube
    20mm 'LockX' thru-axle
    Carbon stanchion guards (not shown)
    Weight: 4.5LB (claimed)
    MSRP: TBA

The Secret's on the Inside

Internally, the new Revel utilizes X-Fusion's twin-tube HLR damper that has consistently impressed us when employed in their Vengeance lineup. The design, which allows for independent tuning of the low and high-speed compression and rebound settings, means that the fork should offer the controlled stroke that we've come to expect from the HLR design, and that the onus will be on the fork's new inverted chassis. The Revel's inverted design is obviously its most

Update my settings too btw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Latest update is 2 responses above this one, assuming you are using the linear thread view mode.

Bottom line, the fork is RAD, and I've gone back to the coil Vector.
    Sorry I should have clarified, what settings were you running?

aka dan51
    Sorry I should have clarified, what settings were you running?
    I believe I was running 135psi, 1/2 turn from full soft from HSC, and 4-6 clicks from full soft on LSC.
    The additional air chamber was 180psi, and set to the largest volume.
    Quadzilla

Mtb Guide
    Rider Mav
    Rider Weight - 200lbs
    Likes big airs, hard cornering and technical trails.

Shock Vector HLR air 8.5x2.5 @ 160mm travel
    Sag - 33%
    Main shock pressure (spring rate) - Now running @ 130psi for 33% sag
    Boost Valve - 185psi to be safe
    Rebound - 1-2 clicks faster past midway, sped it up slightly
    LSC - 2 clicks from soft
    HSC - 5 clicks from soft

Note: Fork 160mm, actually dam Fox @ 100psi it extends out to 170 (POS) cant wait to get rid of it, I, sure at lower psi setting for lighter wieght less agressive riders my pro tune will work well for me @ 100psi its ok but sucks on small bump compliance and has caused me more than a few crashes lately. But Id rather that than a divey pos fork!
    had a buyer who has sort of messed me round for awhile just going to sell it online, move that thing on, plus Im so over 15mm I can really feel the flex esspecially in corners compared to 20mm more so now at the longer travel setting!

Loving my XF Vector though dam so impressed by the control pedalling and bike is so good in chop in the rear anyways, jumping and cornering like a demon!

sag - 25%

Air Spring - 100psi

Im not feeling the Fox love right now, maybe Im using it wrong, find that hard to believe but my new digi pump has let me down re accuracy on setting something badly.

I set my bike up for someone else to ride last week, allot lighter they are keen on an HDR and haven't been able to replicate the ride setup pre that change, I thought maybe its just me bit tired from trail building and work etc, anyway had a big training day today, got a couple hours trail work in this morning then a testing session in early arvo and DH shuttles late arvo early evening getting lighter later whohoooo!

Anyways I put my Rockshox shock pump on both my fork and shock, shock was way out by 10psi, and 30psi in the boost and fork was 10psi out.

That might not sound like allot but it makes a hell of a difference to me and I could feel it, but trusted that dam Fox digi pump, so now just wasted a 100bucks on that I think. Anyway my testing session and later shuttle runs were awesome, bike was back to its best, snappy fun, zippy, jumpy playful, fast and just slaying it, so stoked, as Sundays ride I was not feeling it, fork felt low up front, shock while good just didn't feel like it did earlier, so know your settings record them and if something doesn't feel right check it check it again with a second opinion, or shock pump!

I ride allot by feel and have always had a good insight to if a bike is off or not, problem is I put too much trust in tools at times, should have defaulted to sag settings, dam it I know better.

cheers!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast