mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Upgrading HD to HDR

Hi all,
    I want to upgrade my HD (2012) to the new HDR frame.
    I've seen there are some small modification they made with the new frame, such as enlarging the rear axle to 142X12 (HD has 135X12).
    What other changes do these two frames have?

And do you think it worth all the mess?

Thank you!

p.s
    Im sorry for my english..

mtbr member
    The upgrade to the HD-R is really about having more room in the rear triangle for 275 wheels. There was also a change in the layup process that made the frame about .5 lb lighter. Not much else changed.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morters View Post
    And do you think it worth all the mess?
    Honestly, not really, especially if Ibis comes with a new HDR-style rear 142x12 triangle for existing HDs.

mtbr member
    If have a 2012 Mojo HD you should already have a 142x12 rear axle, Ibis changed them out in 2011. Have you seen the thread about Ibis coming out with updated rear triangles for the HD that will allow 27.5 conversion?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sure...

1. If you ride a lot and feel that you need to refresh the bike than it may be a good.
    2. Like the new colours.
    3. Want to run 27.5
    4. Enjoy working on your bike
    5. Money is no object and don't mind paying to have it swapped.

No....

1. Not running 27.5
    2. Not worth the hassle for the 142X12

My frame is getting a little tired looking so I have been thinking of making the move over. Though, the cost is quite high and I'm not willing to pay for it.

mountain biker
    there's also better clearance for XX1, ISCG tabs and better clearance for fatter shocks. If you've been wanting to run a shock with a piggy back, a chain guard andor XX1, it might be worth it.

Also, imo 142x12 is absolutely worth it over 135x10. Stiffer, more solid, and easier to slide the wheel in and out. I likes it.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Room for more shock options if that matters to ya

1x11 compatibility built in if ya want to go that route

ISCG compatibility if that matters to ya

More front derailleur compatibility if that matters to ya

Lighter weight if that matters to ya

650b option if that matters to ya, might be a good selling point in the future as 26 stuff gets harder to sell second hand.

New bikes are fun to have, if that matters to ya.

If none of that matters to ya, its gonna ride pretty much the same.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There is really no substantial changes, your bike has a short time of use, wait a while while passing the fury of the 27.5 and see what happens.

On the other hand your HD is a great bike.

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Morters View Post
    I've seen there are some small modification they made with the new frame, such as enlarging the rear axle to 142X12 (HD has 135X12).
    If your HD has 135/12 rear, it's not 2012. The HD received some modifications in summer 2011, including an upgrade to 142/12. See
    Are all HD's the same?

I know this is not an answer to your question, since you want to change from whatever you have; just saying.

EDIT: Erm, somehow on my iPad earlier I missed that ScottW already stated that, sorry.
    Last edited by Kerberos; 11-16-2013 at 09:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-G View Post
    There is really no substantial changes, your bike has a short time of use, wait a while while passing the fury of the 27.5 and see what happens.

On the other hand your HD is a great bike.
    +1 - I have no doubt there will be a new and improved HDR in a season or two. Ride your HD for another year and see what's shaking.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    Also, imo 142x12 is absolutely worth it over 135x10. Stiffer, more solid, and easier to slide the wheel in and out. I likes it.
    Umm, no. 135x12 is no less solid or less stiff than 142x12. The only difference is the convenience of installing the wheel in the slotted drop outs with the 142mm axle.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The upgrade to the HD-R is really about having more room in the rear triangle for 275 wheels. There was also a change in the layup process that made the frame about .5 lb lighter. Not much else changed.
    If you run a small frame like I do, it might be justified to upgrade to a HD-R for the ability to run another shock other than the Fox CTD or Monarch Plus. Other than that, I can't figure out a reason to do it. You can buy a retrofit rear triangle if you want the space in the back.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    If you run a small frame like I do, it might be justified to upgrade to a HD-R for the ability to run another shock other than the Fox CTD or Monarch Plus. Other than that, I can't figure out a reason to do it. You can buy a retrofit rear triangle if you want the space in the back.
    I concur, and very good point on shock compatibility esp with the smaller frame Stripes! but

Colour lol and if ya want it do it, Ill pick up all the ole 26" HDs if they have maxle axle 12x142 rears haha, when Im rich and famous, don't hold ya breath!

ISCG is nice, wish my HD had ISCG!

Would I change it prob not love my VP and even more now its not available anymore, but seeing the RVP in person its a stunner

GMV
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Slightly off topic, will the XFusion Vector or Fox Float X fit a HDR small frame? So far online, I've only seen a Monarch Plus fit a small frame

Mtb Guide
    @ GMV, pretty sure all the piggy back shocks will fit the HDR but not the HD, sure I read Hans confirm that on here somewhere, probably in the HDR thread if ya do a search!

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Umm, no. 135x12 is no less solid or less stiff than 142x12. The only difference is the convenience of installing the wheel in the slotted drop outs with the 142mm axle.
    ummm, you'll notice I wrote 135x10... in other words quick release. So yes, a thru-axle system will be stiffer than a quick release. But I guess the 2012 version was 135x12 so it's a moot point.

However, I might add that my shop (the local Ibis distributor) mentionned that the 135x12 seemed to see a lot more axle failures than the 142x12. So there might be something to that. It's not just convenience, there's a strength issue at play too.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    ummm, you'll notice I wrote 135x10... in other words quick release
    135x10 could be QR or thru-axle. 10mm TA are pretty stiff.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by GMV View Post
    Slightly off topic, will the XFusion Vector or Fox Float X fit a HDR small frame? So far online, I've only seen a Monarch Plus fit a small frame
    You might want to call Ibis and ask them directly. I had a small HD and now a small HDR, I ran a monarch plus on both frames. On the HDR I still have to run the monarch plus backwards and upside down to fit. The clearance is still very tight on the small hdr.

mtbr member
    The axles are identical, the 142 is just longer. There may have been a bad batch of 135, but there is not a design issue. XX1 compatibility is fine with the HD especially since they released the new dropout (which I think really makes it a 143 mm rear end!). I have the old 142 rear end and took off some material. It works flawlessly. Narrow/Wide rings have made ISCG almost obsolete for single ring setups now and the e13 option available for the HD works great if you really want to run a guide.

mtbr member
    Salespunk you meant new hangers right ?

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The axles are identical, the 142 is just longer. There may have been a bad batch of 135, but there is not a design issue.
    FYI, when the 135x12 HD was originally released, that generation of the RS MaxleLite had a slimmer diameter at the middle which may well have been the culprit, particularly under heavier mother-huckers. However, I still have mine & it's going strong three years later.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

GMV
    mtbr member
    @maverick005 and fuenstock I was hoping to see photos of these other shocks actually mounted... hope somebody posts. I'll contact Ibis. Thanks and cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Salespunk you meant new hangers right ?
    I was talking about the dropout/hangar although I guess it is not a dropout since the axle screws into it. The way they solved the problem was by adding 1mm to the inside thickness where the axle screws in. This widens the right side slightly creating more space for the chain/10t cog.

mtbr member
    you gents think the rear tire clearance on the HDR is something to be concerned about when it comes to things like bottoming hard and mud shedding?

mtbr member
    Depends on how big a tire you want to run. Still going to have issues with anything over a 2.2 in mud. Bottoming might clear some 2.3's.
    MO