mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Updating the HD - Crazy talk?

Would it be possible to produce an updated rear end(and/or linkage?) with shorter chain stays and a lower BB for the HD? This may not even be considered an update to some, more of a V2.0 - but a simple way to retain the majority of the bike, and just bolt up a new rear end and avoid the cost of having to replace the entire bike. Final request would be a slacker HA as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You can already slacken the head angle with a crane creek angle set.

the refurbished one
    i prefer workscomponents on mine but the result is the same.
    it also lowers the bb a bit but much lower and it would be too low for tech terrain.

a sticker kit or at least the data for the paint pattern would be nice. you could make some nice color updates to the frame with that.
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

www.derbyrims.com
    Aftermarket offset shock mount bushings can lower the BB 1/4". Be sure to check the bottomed out deflated shock's seat-tube-to-tire clearance before riding. With 26" tires up to 2.3 there should be no clearance problems.

Bumping the seat further rearward just a small amount and lowering the seat slightly to maintain leg reach effectively shortens the wheelbase behind the rider weight center, making tight seated turning quicker, and manualling is easier.

The angled head sets can slack steering up to 1 degree. Combined with offset shock bushings up to 1.5 degrees.

I'd like to see modular, convertible drop-outs, to allow many adjustments in CS length, BB height, and increasing wheel and tire sizing options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post

I'd like to see modular, convertible drop-outs, to allow many adjustments in CS length, BB height, and increasing wheel and tire sizing options.
    I like this idea.

I am already running an AS. I am running a straight steerer tube on my fork in order to keep the HS stack height low and get the 1.5 slack I'm looking for. Would much rather run a tapered steerer fork. I own a set of offset shock bushings(uninstalled), but wouldn't get the HA I wanted out of them.

Derby's solution suggestion would solve everything. And by offering this in the form of just a rear end update would be classy move from Ibis by not obligating a complete bike upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    would anyone like to comment on how the angle adjust headsets affect climbing?
    I am a pretty awful climber and am not sure I'd want to make it harder for myself, but having said that, better descending is always welcome

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
    would anyone like to comment on how the angle adjust headsets affect climbing?
    I am a pretty awful climber and am not sure I'd want to make it harder for myself, but having said that, better descending is always welcome
    The slacker HA has never been a real, measurable bother to me on the climbs. In my experience fitness is the obstacle and real concern regarding my climbing performance. I personally don't think much of adjustable travel forks either.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEG View Post
    The slacker HA has never been a real, measurable bother to me on the climbs. In my experience fitness is the obstacle and real concern regarding my climbing performance. I personally don't think much of adjustable travel forks either.
    Slacker steering affects climbing feel by making the steering slower from increased "steering-trail" (look that term up for details), so a little slower steering to maintain balance at very slow climb speeds.

And the slacker, reduced rake, increases the tendency for the front wheel to flop and tug the bars more noticeably while weaving the steering for balance at low climb speeds.

Wider bars increase steering leverage, and combined with a shorter stem, then steering is no slower responding with the longer bar's leverage. With wider bar plus shorter stem, added steering leverage is easier to resist flop, plus more stable on rough trail and downhill. Lowering wider bars with shorter stem can maintain comfortable climbing reach, plus gain hard braking power, by lowering the weight and easier to stand low behind the seat to reduce the "over-the-bars" weight angle of the rider.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Don't make the HD shorter. Bad idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Don't make the HD shorter. Bad idea.
    A rear end with adjustable drop outs as suggested above would keep everyone happy.

That is the challenge faced when building "the ideal" AM bike - no matter what someone won't be happy with it.

Banshee came up with a good solution on the new Rune and Spitfire -

Banshee for 2013 | NSMB.e.MAGAZINE - Freeride, Extreme and North Shore style Mountain Biking