mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Uneven space between seat stay to seat tube on SL

Hi everybody,

I noticed on my SL that the space between the seat stay to the seat tube is not the same on both sides. There is a gap of 1 mm on one side and 2-3 mm on the other side (where the cassette is mounted) is this OK?

The bike where reassembled about a month ago by the mechanic on my LBS and he replaced all of the bearings. so I don't know if its assembly issue or just a standard divination within the norm that i did not noticed before.

I dismounted the rear shock to see if it is the source of this divination but it is not that. I also checked and tightened the links Bolts (except for the one on the lower link that needs disassembling the crank to get to).

any Suggestions/Advice?

attached a scheme of the issue..

Thanks
    Tal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Uneven space between seat stay to seat tube on SL-ibis-seat-stayes-space-fro-seat-tube1.jpg  

Last edited by Tal Kadouri; 04-15-2012 at 01:34 AM.
    Tal

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    From eyeballing my rear triangle. The drive(chainring) side. Is closer to the seat tube compare to the other side.

aka dan51
    Does your bike have the lopes link or the two individual links?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a lopes link.
    At my bike the situation is just the opposite... The side of the chain is further away than the other side.
    Tal

aka dan51
    This was a problem before the lopes link. With it, mine has been even on both sides for the last 3 years.
    The bearings are a pain to get out of the lopes link (in my experience), so in the process of changing them the link may have been bent a little, causing the offset you are seeing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

It's the axle
    I just want to mention what a great drawing that is.

Looking at my Mojo, I see I have the same situation. As much of a perfectionist as I tend to be, I really think it's a non-issue. I'd have to spend some time working on it to give advice on how to alter it. Remember, you're only talking about moving things a millimeter.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks.

I will check the links.
    Tal

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    WIth the dual links, the spaces were even on my bike. After adding the lopes link, they were uneven like the OP. A second lopes link, same result.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks guys,

I sort it out. Dismounted the upper link - one of the bearings was a bit out of place.
    Tal

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bump to this. Any other who encountered this and what remedy did you do? Any warranty rep availment? Im on the same boat.

screamer
    How about instead of dredging up ancient threads about different frames than the one you own (and have admitted you bought used, with link modifications made by your mechanic) you actually give ibis a call? I bet you'll get all the info you need and more.

Fishing for "warranty" info on the internet is just bad form.

PS: their contact info is conveniently located in the thread directly before this one. See how easy this all is?
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There is nothing wrong asking about warranty issue if you believe that you are qualified. Im not as stupid as you to think that warranty process is easy knowing that I live outside the US and i cannot afford to wait 3-6 weeks dfor a new frame. This frame i have right now is really good and feels perfect thats why warranty process is the least of my priority and the reason why im resurecting this thread is to know if they have found the fix because if yes then I will do it on my own. So stop acting like a douchebag. Its sunday too,unless you work even on a sunday then you would not understand that I want to discover the fix right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    And FYI, I already emailed Todd and Hans about it and while waiting for their feedback thought of asking fellow ibis owners about my experience. I dont see anything bad about it. Like I said, this is a forum. A forum to help each other out. Not to give useless advise. Quality feedbacks please.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    There is nothing wrong asking about warranty issue if you believe that you are qualified. Im not as stupid as you to think that warranty process is easy knowing that I live outside the US and i cannot afford to wait 3-6 weeks dfor a new frame. This frame i have right now is really good and feels perfect thats why warranty process is the least of my priority and the reason why im resurecting this thread is to know if they have found the fix because if yes then I will do it on my own. So stop acting like a douchebag. Its sunday too,unless you work even on a sunday then you would not understand that I want to discover the fix right now.
    There is when you keep digging up ancient threads and responding to them all on this forum instead of contacting Ibis directly. Not cool.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    well we are in a different timezone. like I said, I emaild them already and while waiting for their reply, researched on the ancient threads and ask for feedback with how they handled the situation. If you did not have any of this then Im so happy for you brah. chillax

screamer
    If I were ibis, I'd tell you and your redneck beer can modifications to take a long walk off a short pier. Fortunately for you, I'm not ibis. I'm sure you will receive great customer service if you manage to unwad your panties and let things take their course. On Monday, naturally.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would just shut up if I have nothing helpful to say.. But thats just me, budgie. Just drink your maintenance medicines and hit the sack.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    well we are in a different timezone. like I said, I emaild them already and while waiting for their reply, researched on the ancient threads and ask for feedback with how they handled the situation. If you did not have any of this then Im so happy for you brah. chillax
    I'm not the person hijacking years old threads to get attention--you are. All you're doing is alienating people who are going to help you.

Not sure who put brake fluid on your rotors, but maybe you should step away from the computer and go ride.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Am i at the wrong thread? Thread is about MISALIGNED SEATSTAY. My concern is about a misaligned seatstay... Not misaligned reasoning.. Lets just stick with the topic. Create your own thread about "How not to help fellow forum members and say unecessary things instead" i think you should be the one going out for a ride.

All of the threads i re opened are those related to my concern since i wanna know how those riders fared. and i believe that you are not one of those. So stop talking girl.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Here is scots reply

Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    If I were ibis, I'd tell you and your redneck beer can modifications to take a long walk off a short pier. Fortunately for you, I'm not ibis. I'm sure you will receive great customer service if you manage to unwad your panties and let things take their course. On Monday, naturally.
    You are right. You are not Ibis. Its funny that those who dont know **** are the ones who are more arrogant. Redneck? Tell that to Ibis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Uneven space between seat stay to seat tube on SL-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Was able to get contact with Scot today. According to him a small variation is unavoidable because the carbon layup is handmade. He assured that a small unequal gap is still within the tolerance specification. I measured the gaps on both sides and its at least 2mm on the driveside and 3-4mm in the non driveside. The off accdg to Ibis is just 1mm. I asked him if this issue has been adressed before by fellow ibis owners and he said yes and their response is the same everytime. Guess i should stop worrying about it since it already came from the horse's mouth. Anyway, a buddy who owns a hdr has unequal gaps and a mojo slr at my LBS for demo has the slight misalignment.

Dissolved member
    I can guarantee you will have more fun on the HD than on any other previous bike. Go shred some gnar, climb some chunk, catch some air, get high on adrenaline and you will forget about the bike under you and some minuscule 1mm chainstay difference. That's what my HD does for me - the bike disappears the moment I start pedaling.