mtbr member

Ummm some help here please.. crack?

Ok I don't want to sounds paranoid, but I ordered a Ibis chainstay protector so I thought it would be a good idea to take the old tube I had wrapped around my chainstay off...
    well to my surprise I saw I no longer had the Chainsuck thing anymore... and upon close inspection I found something else..

Question one... there the chainsuck thing use to be I am now left with a hard resin type leftover... how would I get this off to add the new one? Or is the left over something more sinister...
    Question 2... is this a crack .. or am I being paranoid? and should I just carry on riding it like a stole it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

www.derbyrims.com
    You should contact your dealer and Ibis directly. Why ask for our amateur opinions? (I don't get why bike owners in any forum don't first communicate with their manufacturer and their dealers first about warrantee issues.)

My amateur opinion is you can you can either glue the stainless protector onto the old glue, or remove the old glue first. Keep an eye on it just be sure your glue holds the new protector firm for a few days and you should be able to forget about it. Or ask a professional, your dealer, or email info@ibis.

The surface irregularity might be a crack, but looks more like an imperfection in the finish to me. Your dealer should physically have a look at the area you show in the picture and make a professional opinion about it and work with Ibis if needed. (Fortunately you have a local dealer!)

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    From the pix....and I guess the first one would be the best, I can't even make out where you think a crack is. I can see the residue leftover from when the chainsuck piece fell off. I remember reading that Hans now applies the piece himself manually because the adhesive was just not cutting it (I think they use the JB weld stuff now) I assume that you bought the bike before Hans started doing this.

flow where ever you go
    Dirt, glue, and maybe some scrapes to the finish, but I don't see a crack.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    kewl thanks... wont bother anymore with it then.. will order another chainsuck thing and glue it on... thanks for the input

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Glue

That's just old glue.
    The factory glues them on now and gets better results than I. ; )
    We'll send you one at no charge and if you scuff up the area, use JB weld and wrap it with tape while it dries to fixture it it will stay put.
    Sorry about that!
    Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Looks kind of strange ... first and last pictures I see glue ... second and third pictures I see what appears to be a crack, unless it's some weird reflection from the shape of the dried glue.

So if it is just glue, you should be able to lightly sand it and it would disappear ... and if it doesn't disappear, the Ibis boys sound like they take good care of their customers.

mtbr member
    yea... i tried loading the pictures so that the first two would be the dried clue... and the last 2 the crack... but one of the glue pictures failed to load and after reloading them they came out like this...

yes 1,3 shows the glue problem... I need to get this off so that I can glue another chainsuck plate on.

Picture 2,4 show the "crack" upon further inspection I cannot seem to tell if it is a crack or a grove line formed by something.. Ill just carry on riding it and if it breaks further Ill contact my LBS ...
    I have a 24hr race coming up this weekend so I cant sit without a bike now.

mtbr member
    Thanks Hans
    As always the customer service from ibis amazes me.

Ibis rocks.