mtbr member
    May 2009

Ultra Low Pressure Mojo

Does anyone have any idea how low you can go with the air pressure in a Fox fork???

I'm currently running 10PSI in my 2010 Fox 140mm fork on my Mojo to get about 15% sag (and around 90% travel over rough trails). I only weigh 135pounds but this is way below the suggested pressure for my weight.

Rear suspension is working well and bike set up is comfy with a 70mm stem and no spacers under my riser bars.

Not sure if I should keep dropping the air pressure any lower to get full travel.

T.W.O.
    Is your shock pump accurate? wow it's low

Happy when not-last.
    No insult intended, but did you check to be sure you're not locked-out? 10lbs is waaay too low - that's got to be an internal problem. I'd strongly suggest taking it to your friendly LBS before riding...
    All your base are belong to ME.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Ya, something is wrong there @ 10 psi.However don't be surprised if you can't get full travel out of that fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MinskyBA
    No insult intended, but did you check to be sure you're not locked-out? 10lbs is waaay too low - that's got to be an internal problem. I'd strongly suggest taking it to your friendly LBS before riding...
    yeah make sure the lockout is not engaged, something is wrong

T.W.O.
    Would the threshold control yield 90% of travel? I had my fox on lock out before but I don't remember it would yield that much travel and the fork does not feel good either. I know at 135lbs is pretty light but you can still easily load the fork.

+1 on the LBS

mtbr member
    I've always had trouble setting up my Fox forks using the sag method. For example, to reach the proper sag I would have to run very low air pressure. Because of this I usually put the recommended air based on my weight into the fork and then adjust based on feel.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MinskyBA
    Yeah, the lockout is definitely off, low speed compression is set to minimum, and my shock pump seems to be accurate because it works fine on the rear shock. Might have to get my LBS to look at it. Cheers

mtbr member
    Are you seated on the bike as if you're in your normal riding position? If not, have someone hold the bike up for you. Regardless, sag and/or psi recommendations are just base lines to start at and you'll have to adjust the psi to where it feels best for your riding style.

To answer your question, however, I have also found that running lower than Fox's recommended psi feels the best. 10 psi does sound low, though. I can't remember, but I weigh 190-195 with gear and I'm running about 55-60psi (have it written down at home).

If you want to get full travel from the fork, you'll need to modify the compression rod. Search the forums, I saw a thread on it some time ago.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Cheers - I think you're right, I'm getting too hung up on getting full travel out of the fork. I just have to accept I'm not going to get the last 15mm of travel out of it.

mtbr member
    Go do a honest 4 foot drop to flat and purposely land nose first and I guarantee you'll use that extra 15mm

mtbr member
    Also does your fork get full travel when you get %100 of the air out of the fork? Will it then compress?