mtbr member

New question here. ultra light wheels

Im building set of wheels for road training on my mojo.

not sure what to get so need some help please

Hubs = Chris King as I already have/love them (unless anyone can think of any others?)
    Rims = Stans 355 (I have flows on the current set)
    Tyres = Im thinking Maxxis Xenith Slick

Im not small or light but cant see me doing much damage on the road??? so really want something light and low rolling resistance.

I will use these for the London to Brighton this year as I did it on 2.35 high rollers last year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have been advised to go 355's with the DT Swiss 240's 2.0-1.7 spokes, yellow tape. This set on the Stans site is 1515 gr and tubless ready. That is very light vet strong and most of all very realiable. I don't know what to suggest for tires as I'm on the trail. Would like to know if others agree here as a good wheelset is a significant investment.

mtbr member
    If it is training, why go light? Get the most out of your training. Save the light stuff for racing.
    milesW

Stucco Bucket
    Id say neither of those wheel builds looks terribly light
    dip into the 1300s for light.
    '
    I just ordered Enduro Industry Nines on Stans ZTR wheels.
    It comes in just over 1700 for the set. Thats a 28mm rim on an all mountain hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If its for the road and you want high performance, why not go for some aero triathlon rims? Some of those could fit on an MTB I think, some tri bikes have smaller front wheels. Plus you could go carbon to match the mojo!

aka dan51
    A set of road wheels will fit on the bike.
    I got a pair of Mavic somethings, with XT disk hubs on my commuter running 23x700c tubeless. Works like a charm.
    Check out the wheels on the Trek Portland.
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...land/portland/
    We got a pair of those from our local Trek dealer for about $350. You could probably throw some CX tires on there and have a bike that can handle dirt too.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    I like the idea of the carbon time trials wheels but I have a 15mm QR on my fox forks so anything pre built is out the question for road wheels.

I have 900 to spend as I get a "green travel" allowance from work every year which i can spend it on anything bike related! (nice perk of the company I work for)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    King, Ti spokes, 355's will get you into the 1300's.

I have 2 sets of Kings, Ti spokes and Olympics/Alpines. both are in the upper 1300's for weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo_man
    I like the idea of the carbon time trials wheels but I have a 15mm QR on my fox forks so anything pre built is out the question for road wheels.

I have 900 to spend as I get a "green travel" allowance from work every year which i can spend it on anything bike related! (nice perk of the company I work for)
    Why not just buy a road or commuter bike and save your mojo for the trails?

Church of the Wheel
    Thread title says "Ultra Light Wheels". There are many ways to do this. One easy way is Stan's new Podium MMX wheelsets. Anything more than 1300-some grams is not in the "ultra light" category. You can easily get into the 1200 range for your budget. King's are nice but not part of that equation. Try DT Swiss or American Classic hubs for significant weight savings.

Also, consider posting your question and criteria on both the weight weenie and wheel forums for some fuller discussion.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers