Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 82
  1. #1
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    986

    The Ultimate IBIS Enduro setup thread!

    I know I know we have a Ripley setup, HD, Mojo setup thread.

    This is a brung what you run thread, its not about model, wheel size, hip size etc.

    Its about what you ride in Enduro's and how you've set it up for Enduro racing and riding, what ever Enduro means for you.

    I think it will be interesting to "mind meld" all the Ibis riders bikes that are used for Enduro and how they are setup.

    I see this as a evolving thread as well so as you and or your bike evolves update away, it might be a shock, fork or even a setting change or tires you've found best etc, races you've done and what you found works and didn't or how much you enjoyed it!

    Go wild let go, bring that Enduro monster out to play!

    Just one request, please don't turn it into a flame fest of wheels who's got the biggest, its not about that other threads can debate wheel size. What frame to ride, how ya hold ya tongue, which side it hangs to etc
    cheers!


    Enjoy have fun, post what you brung!

  2. #2
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    986
    Last of the Mohican HDs

    160 travel fnr
    Fork - Float 34 in pic swap out for Vengeance HLR 160 travel pos and looking fwd to being back on a 20mm hub.

    Tires - whatever suits the course, pretty much a Maxxis man
    Ardents, Larsens, HR2s Minions, cut down Wetsreams and Swampthings

    Got another Enduro in 5 Weeks, cant wait to hit this in 160mode, just hope our courses are tougher than last time, which were long but a XC fest really not Enduro.

    Pedals - Mallet DH
    Stem - 40mm Chromag
    Bar - 760mm Chromag 20mm rise
    Grips - Liking these new Eastons

    Heres my weapon as it stands currently,hurry up Vengeance the Fox is not keeping pace with the Vector!


  3. #3
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,152
    Great thread Mav! After I get myself and my bike reassembled, I'll post a pic and details here. My grom buddy wants me to go to Ashland with him. Sounds like my bike might be a great bike for there.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

  4. #4
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    986
    Cheers Stripes, now just have to wait for the Ibesians to crank it up

    Your machine is definitely worthy! as is any Ibis, so crank it up when that
    upgrade takes place, and get an Enduro done too

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,493
    Here is how my bike morphed along with my riding. First off this is where I came from. There is Ibis content here since you can see my HD lurking in the background. It was a major change for me all around. 140->160, rigid post->dropper, 32->36, notice the stem length...



    And my HD as it was originally built. Triple ring up front, 560 gram tires, 711 bars and I was really proud it was 26 lbs.



    Here you see the bike beginning to morph. Notice the single ring setup, 750 bars, piggy back rear shock, 750 gm tires etc. There was one iteration that I had on for a short time that was an XTR double.



    And my current setup at 28 lbs. XX1, 170 fork with RC2DH damper, etc. Tires are an HD up front with a Conti 2.2 MK Protection on the rear. My perfect race bike, at least for now....


  6. #6
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    986
    Thats awesome SP exactly what I was hoping for. New you'd come through, nice Porsche too, I like that the Intense was same colour? intended?

    Nice progression too, Ive long been a short stem wide bar man, it was hard about 10years ago as not many wide bars by todays stds or short stems suitable for what we ride today, you've definitely got the HD dialled up now, very nice.

    I used to rock up to a XC race in the 90s on an Azionic DH bar high rise haha everyone would laugh until the downhills lol. Before Thomson the Kore Elite stems were the stem to own 15mm rise 110mm that was short mid 90s thank gawd times have changed, still got that stem too, lol, 1.5 steerer clamp, Kore didn't innovate enough to maintain that high end factor unfortunately, still make good stuff, but not the finish of many others like Thomson, Chromag, Point One etc.

    Shes a riper SP really like ya current setup, though maybe a Pike in your future!
    That white HD looks sweet beside the VitaminP too

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    76
    Here is the spec list. I figure that you all know what a white HD looks like so please forgive the lack of images (plus I'm not entirely sure about posting them.... ).

    I've including Graves style pressures - this will of course make me 14% faster simply by listing them.......and give me bigger calves. I thought it would be useful to see the specs of the other riders as I'm interested to know how others run their suspension, tyres etc relative to weights.

    The trails around Sydney tend to be loose fine gravel surfaces on hardpack. Loam is more precious than platinum here

    Rider - 6'4, 125kg RTR.
    XL Frame.
    Fox 180 RC2 Float (spaced down to 160mm), 110PSI
    Cane Creek DB Air - running 16mm sag.
    Easton Havoc Carbon bars, 35mm diameter (uncut at 800mm).
    ODI Ruffian lock ons.
    Easton Havoc stem, 50mm. 5mm spacer underneath.
    Cane Creek headset.
    Saint Brakes.
    203mm / 180mm, Icetech rotors.
    Truvative Carbon Noir crank.
    33t E13 chainring.
    Shimano XT 10sp clutch rear mech.
    Shimano XT shifter.
    Stans ZTR rims, tubeless.
    E13 Flat pedals.
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 Dual ply F - 30PSI, Maxxis Crossmark 2.25 Dual ply R - 36PSI
    Ibis Hubs.
    KS Supernatural seatpost.
    SDG I Beam Bel Air saddle.

    14kg.

  8. #8
    The Crow
    Reputation: Iwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    841
    Mine

    The Ultimate IBIS Enduro setup thread!-post-1575-0-44064000-1378218773.jpg

    XX1
    Stealth Dropper
    AM Classic AM Wheelset
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manchvegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    893
    I've been testing my HD 170/160 set up against my new ripley with 140/120.. It's sad to say but every enduro segment time has been destroyed with my ripley... notice the enduro segments ridden the first time with my ripley.. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Out of the darkness! near Allenstown | Times and Records | Strava
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,454
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    I've been testing my HD 170/160 set up against my new ripley with 140/120.. It's sad to say but every enduro segment time has been destroyed with my ripley... notice the enduro segments ridden the first time with my ripley.. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Out of the darkness! near Allenstown | Times and Records | Strava

    Hard to tell what kind of trails those are with Strava maps. Without seeing those trails, I can say every wheel size has it's pros and cons on any given trail. While folks have a tendency to praise the virtues of what they own. Just like suspension travel, some trails will be better suited for 29" wheels, some for 27.5, and some for 26". That's just a technical reality.

    Bottom line is if you already own a nice bike now, is it worth switching over $$$$ for the type of trails YOU AS AN INDIVIDUAL RIDE ON? This is a personal decision which only you, the individual, can make.

    No amount of chest thumping from others will help the individual making that decision with their hard earned (or not so hard earned) $$$.
    Last edited by crconsulting; 09-10-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,493
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    I've been testing my HD 170/160 set up against my new ripley with 140/120.. It's sad to say but every enduro segment time has been destroyed with my ripley... notice the enduro segments ridden the first time with my ripley.. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Out of the darkness! near Allenstown | Times and Records | Strava
    No matter what, those are some great times on Strava. I would love to see some pics of the trails as well. This should give you an idea of what we see around here. These are typical for Socal.





    Throw is some much higher speed chunk and a few drop features and it is really nice to have a 160 bike. Looking at the pics I really need to go shoot some pics of the better trails out here!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Thats awesome SP exactly what I was hoping for. New you'd come through, nice Porsche too, I like that the Intense was same colour? intended?

    Nice progression too, Ive long been a short stem wide bar man, it was hard about 10years ago as not many wide bars by todays stds or short stems suitable for what we ride today, you've definitely got the HD dialled up now, very nice.
    Was not intended at all. Bought the Porsche on a whim and loved every second of it, already had the Intense. Still bummed I sold the Porsche last year. Talking about the Pike, yes there is one in my future. I am thinking of ordering the 275 160 version so it is the same length as my 170 Lyrik. I really like the slacker HA with the longer fork and a little extra gap from the arch to the tire won't hurt anything. It also future proofs my fork for a while!

    I like the idea of setup pressures as well. Here are mine with a 200 lb geared up rider on board;

    Lyrik RC2DH 170 47 PSI
    Pushed Monarch Plus RC3 150 PSI
    Hans Dampf Front 2.35 22 PSI
    Mountain King Protection 2.2 28 PSI

    Yes, I run my bike SUPER plush, but a lot of my riding buddies are running the same setup/pressures now too.

  13. #13
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    986
    Sic guys, and nice work 02, on it as usual agree with Sp pressures great idea, will update when my Digital pump arrives today hopefully

  14. #14
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Was not intended at all. Bought the Porsche on a whim and loved every second of it, already had the Intense. Still bummed I sold the Porsche last year.

    See the mtb gods had spoken and gave u a Porsche to match then ya sold it, dam Im regretting it, done that a few times bud, always kick myself, especially if I know Ill never get that again or that particular one bummer

    Talking about the Pike, yes there is one in my future. I am thinking of ordering the 275 160 version so it is the same length as my 170 Lyrik. I really like the slacker HA with the longer fork and a little extra gap from the arch to the tire won't hurt anything. It also future proofs my fork for a while!

    Oh good plan, what about the offset though, remember ha can just swap out the lowers too, way cheaper.

    I like the idea of setup pressures as well. Here are mine with a 200 lb geared up rider on board;

    Lyrik RC2DH 170 47 PSI
    Pushed Monarch Plus RC3 150 PSI
    Hans Dampf Front 2.35 22 PSI
    Mountain King Protection 2.2 28 PSI

    Yes, I run my bike SUPER plush, but a lot of my riding buddies are running the same setup/pressures now too.
    Dam they are some nice plush numbers, esp fork, 22psi upfront is that UST?

    Nice, yeah I like it plush off the top 5-10% for grip, but Ill take ride height over plush if it comes to it, sort of how I run the Float, its doing a pretty good job just sometimes get caught on a root or off camber turn with rocks for lack of grip, but we have good dirt so pretty lucky, elsewhere like where u guys ride, may need a plusher setup

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    69
    I'm setting up for my first enduro race in october. Right now my set up is:

    Frame: Mojo SL medium
    Fork: stock X fusion 140 mm
    Shock: stock Fox RP2 but will eventually upgrade to monarch plus
    Stem: Pro 50mm 0 rise
    Drivetrain: SLX 3x10 w/XT rear derailleur (stock)
    Wheels: Crossmax ST (love them!)
    Tires: Continentals 2.2
    Pedals: Kore flat pedals
    Brakes: Avid Elixir 1 (stock, will be next upgrade after shock and dropper post)

    The course will be based in a XC event so I'm confident with 140mm and 2.20 tires as I assume it will reward pedalling.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,493
    Yep, UST and the Eastons run SUPER tight so there is no chance of blowing a bead. It is so tight that I have had to cut two tires off with tin snips!

    The problem I had with the Fox was running enough pressure to avoid brake dive resulted in only getting about 120 mm of travel.

  17. #17
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Yep, UST and the Eastons run SUPER tight so there is no chance of blowing a bead. It is so tight that I have had to cut two tires off with tin snips!

    The problem I had with the Fox was running enough pressure to avoid brake dive resulted in only getting about 120 mm of travel.
    Must give UST another chance, was big on it from 98- 2005 then running bigger tires min 2.35 didn't see any real advantage, plus I went from muds to drys every 5 minutes, but the new Maxxis HR2 in TR casing and 2.3 sizing is only 800grams and very tempting.
    Must see if I can get a Larsen 2.35 UST as well for the rear still my fav rear tire,

    Interesting with my Fox 34 @ 100psi Im still getting full travel, when I had it @150 and also @160mm travel, also to keep the fork up in its travel!

    I just lose that softness off the top which is killing me on roots, I had a major front wheel deflection on a fast section tonight, lucky a bank leading into a corner after that root was they're as I turned it into a berm last moment and saved it lol.

  18. #18
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by santiagomo87 View Post
    I'm setting up for my first enduro race in october. Right now my set up is:

    Frame: Mojo SL medium
    Fork: stock X fusion 140 mm
    Shock: stock Fox RP2 but will eventually upgrade to monarch plus
    Stem: Pro 50mm 0 rise
    Drivetrain: SLX 3x10 w/XT rear derailleur (stock)
    Wheels: Crossmax ST (love them!)
    Tires: Continentals 2.2
    Pedals: Kore flat pedals
    Brakes: Avid Elixir 1 (stock, will be next upgrade after shock and dropper post)

    The course will be based in a XC event so I'm confident with 140mm and 2.20 tires as I assume it will reward pedalling.
    Sweet, don't rule out a XF O2X either!

    Just a suggestion possibly look at running the middle ring only dropping the granny and big ring and FD, run ya 32t or go to a narrow wide34t front ring in the middle pos on your cranks if 4 bolt bcd, and if you have a 10spd drivetrain, plus add a MRP chainguide from the Ibis site.

    Id do this on any bike myself, including the Ripley especially if not using a narrow wide tooth front ring and clutch rear d, this will really help with reliability and make for a more efficient transmission for Enduro, worth a look anyways if you're not already thinking about it, post a pic when ha get a chance too

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Must give UST another chance, was big on it from 98- 2005 then running bigger tires min 2.35 didn't see any real advantage, plus I went from muds to drys every 5 minutes, but the new Maxxis HR2 in TR casing and 2.3 sizing is only 800grams and very tempting.
    Must see if I can get a Larsen 2.35 UST as well for the rear still my fav rear tire,

    Interesting with my Fox 34 @ 100psi Im still getting full travel, when I had it @150 and also @160mm travel, also to keep the fork up in its travel!

    I just lose that softness off the top which is killing me on roots, I had a major front wheel deflection on a fast section tonight, lucky a bank leading into a corner after that root was they're as I turned it into a berm last moment and saved it lol.
    I would not worry about running true UST. Tubeless ready variations are fine. That is the EXACT problem I had with Fox. The low speed sensitivity is abysmal when you have enough air. When you mess with the dampers once they are removed from the forks you realize how much more low speed damping Fox runs even at the fastest setting. I think this is the real issue with the first iteration of the 34. They modified the air spring which allows it to get full travel, but there is still a low speed damping issue that require someone like Push to fix.

  20. #20
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,998

    Good job! Prepare for 34 PUSH'ing

    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    They modified the air spring which allows it to get full travel, but there is still a low speed damping issue that require someone like Push to fix.
    PUSH help is on the way!
    - -benja- -

  21. #21
    screamer
    Reputation: budgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,128

    not so sure it's "enduro" ....

    ... since I've never raced one, unless Downieville Classic counts. Bike rips, and still capable enough on the ups to leave enough gas in the tank for the downs.

    Xfusion 02 RCX, Revelation 150mm, XT 1x10 drivetrain & brakes, LB carbon + Hope hoops, Neomotos tubeless, Reverb, Haven stem + SixC bars. 28lbs on the nose for an XL. Not too shabby.

    The Ultimate IBIS Enduro setup thread!-mojohdconcrete.jpg
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

  22. #22
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Too late, too costly for too expensive a fork imo to begin with for lack of performance and tunning to individual for a non pro without Fox support.
    The pro forks are only the same on the outside anyway.

    Sold my 34, and still ahead on a Vengence cost wise though rebuild of 20mm hub and Enve adds a bit, but it dosent need Push, and better still than a Pushed 34 I reckon, not proven, but stoked with XF on the HD, I couldnt ask for more, fully self serviceable, and self tuneable and performance to date is all and more.

    Im really liking the new upside down Revell, but the Venegence will stay and may look at DVO Diamond (26" option) next year or Revell (27.5" & 29" minus only but 20mm tick) as a pure Enduro option, will swap out for events only, but for the first time I wont be getting rid of either the Ven/Vector, may add an O2X though cant see why at this stage, I think its hurt ManuelD, his results seem to have gone backwards on the smaller fork (Slant) purely specculation while Valentina seems to still be on a Vengence and just won a SuperEnduro in Italy while Manuel got a cut tire and had to retire. Both riding a reverse VP HD look 27.5 as well. Cant wait to see them on this fork though, sure Xf must be working on a pure Enduro shock as well?


  23. #23
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I would not worry about running true UST. Tubeless ready variations are fine. That is the EXACT problem I had with Fox. The low speed sensitivity is abysmal when you have enough air. When you mess with the dampers once they are removed from the forks you realize how much more low speed damping Fox runs even at the fastest setting. I think this is the real issue with the first iteration of the 34. They modified the air spring which allows it to get full travel, but there is still a low speed damping issue that require someone like Push to fix.
    Ah not worried as such trust Maxxis tires anyway, more a case of convienance, but I seem to have settled on tire combo for the last few seasons, just a case lf finding a few Larsens in TR or Lust, my prefered Larsen is acutally a wire bead just feels better, so I may ghetto tubless it on the rear, super reliable and good enough for Gravesy as well, and nab a couple of HR2s 2.3 TRs for the front and rear if gets nar! Need to track down some 2.35 Swampthings as well super tacky, love that tire probably my all time fav,wet or super loose dry esp on the front, fast grils like a moto tire, even the name is sic lol!

  24. #24
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Too late, too costly for too expensive a fork imo to begin with for lack of performance and tunning to individual for a non pro without Fox support.
    The pro forks are only the same on the outside anyway.

    Sold my 34, and still ahead on a Vengence cost wise though rebuild of 20mm hub and Enve adds a bit, but it dosent need Push, and better still than a Pushed 34 I reckon, not proven, but stoked with XF on the HD,
    That's what I'm wondering, do I sell the 34 or do I keep it and have it PUSH'd?

    The 36 I had done by them was amazing. Not sure I want to deal with selling/buying another fork when my confidence in their work is quite high. They've done 3-4 different parts for me and all have been great, and I've already got the 34 in hand...

    Hardcore 1st World Problems. Sorry to fork this thread Mav...

    ps: that upside down XF fork better ride like a dream because holy god, it's hard on the eyes.
    - -benja- -

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,493
    Budgie, Dville was one of the ORIGINAL enduro events! Counts in every way shape and form.

    Benja I think they want people to notice it on the trail! BTW I owe you a PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ultimate Tsali tire setup. What would you choose?
    By Sheepo5669 in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 05:09 AM
  2. RIP w/ FOX 40 the ultimate niner AM setup?
    By LGavin in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 03:13 PM
  3. Ultimate high speed brake setup suggestions
    By Kona420 in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
  4. Enduro SL, the ultimate electric bike
    By donsvideo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 10:01 PM
  5. The Ultimate Bad Boy Picture Thread
    By Gus68 in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2011, 08:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •