mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Tyre clearance Ripley

Hello,

does anybody already tried a 2,35" or 2,4" rear tyre on a wide rim like the Flow EX in the Ripley? Is there enough clearance?

If yes. Posting a photo or measuring the clearance would be great. Thanks.

Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HellDriverChris View Post
    Hello,

does anybody already tried a 2,35" or 2,4" rear tyre on a wide rim like the Flow EX in the Ripley? Is there enough clearance?

If yes. Posting a photo or measuring the clearance would be great. Thanks.

Chris
    I put a 2.35 Hans Dampf on the rear - clearance was tight and the tire contacted the seat tube under full compression and started to make some nasty marks on the seat tube. Not recommended.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ardent 2.25 fits nicely and clears. Continental Mountain King 2.4 and Michelean Wild Gripr 2.25 rubbed the upper swingarm on hard corning or G outs. Hans Danfs 2.35 very tight also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As mtnwater stated, it's kinda tight back there. I ran Rocket Ron's/Racing Ralph's 2.25 in Enve XC and there was no reason for concern, but I think anything much larger or on a wider rim would definitely rub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ok. Thanks.

IŽm not sure about the Ripley, yet. If I start the project IŽll test a Nobby Nic 2,25" on the rear rim.

2,35 Magic Mary for the front and a 140mm Pike. Hopefully a nice combination. Extra Trailstar grip for the front and low driving resistance for the rear.

Just found this thread:

Biggest rear tyre to fit the Ripley?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Ardent 2.25 EXO is a pretty good tire rolls well and has pretty good grip. Lots of room in swingarm.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Motoguru200: what rims are you running?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HellDriverChris View Post
    Ok. Thanks. Just found this thread:

Biggest rear tyre to fit the Ripley?
    Thanks for the link. Interesting the Hans indicated the Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35" and Purgatory 2.4 would both fit. I can definitively say that neither of these two tires will fit. I have a Purgatory 2.3 on there now, and it still rubs the seat tube at full compression. I encourage Ripley owners to put a piece of protective tape on the seat tube...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Damn, read this thread a little too late. Guess I'll be selling my new Conti X King 2.4.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think it makes a big difference on which rim you use. Flow ex are 18mm tall where Enve AM are 31mm. The Flows might work with a big tire. Anyone running 2.4 in the rear, let us know because I like to run Spec. Purgatory 2.4, F/R. Wide back tire helps on the loose climbs. I like traction, I'm not fast anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Not sure if rim height would matter as much as rim width, unless that is what you meant. I really don't see you having any room for a 2.4 tire on the rear of the Ripley, especially with any mud clearance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was thinking about tire hitting seat tube at full travel. I should've made that clear. I don't really ride in mud so I'm going to stick the biggest tire I can back there. Just maybe put some protective tape and live with a little rub at the extremes. If I have to ride in mud to be able to ride, I'll ride my old bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Overall diameter doesn't change with rim height. The same tire on a Flow and Enve AM will be the same height. A 2.25 tire will fit without problems and is about inline with the kind of bike this is. This isn't a big hit all mountain huge tire bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I see that diameter should be the same with a given tire. Maybe I should be looking at the HDR 650b instead of Ripley for my do all, ride everything bike. But I do like my Rip9's big wheels, and like those eccentrics. I've got to test ride me some bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Rone Turner - Talked with one of the local riders at my LBS who's been running Butcher fr / new Purg 2.3 rear on LB rims on his Ripley for a few weeks without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    I see that diameter should be the same with a given tire. Maybe I should be looking at the HDR 650b instead of Ripley for my do all, ride everything bike. But I do like my Rip9's big wheels, and like those eccentrics. I've got to test ride me some bikes.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Rone Turner - Talked with one of the local riders at my LBS who's been running Butcher fr / new Purg 2.3 rear on LB rims on his Ripley for a few weeks without any problems.
    I had an HDR on order before I went to an Ibis Demo and test rode a Ripley and HDR650. I changed my order to a Ripley. I feel like the Ripley gives you all of it on the downhill (as good if not better than HDR650) and climbs like a ****ing beast.

Wouldn't the tire height be different with a wider rim (i.e. not as tall)? I have an XKing that has pretty low profile knobs and I'll be running Flow EX. I'll report back once this unicorn finally arrives.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for all the info. I really want a Ripley, so nice to hear you liked it enough change your order from HDR to Ripley. 2.3 Purgatory is the biggest size they come in now, so looks like those on flows will work. Perfect

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi guys- sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but it's exactly on topic;
    I'm about to order my Ripley and I'm trying to decide between the Stan's Arch EX ($137 upcharge) or the Ibis Carbon 928's ($899 upcharge) or the uber-wide Ibis carbon 941's (same $899 upcharge). It's a good price, although I'm unsure about the hubs on any of these.

But my real question is- should I be fine on a 2.2 Ro-Ro on such a wide wheel as the 941? All the reports talk about how much more volume the wide wheels seem to produce- unfortunately, the Ripley doesn't have massive clearance, so adding volume might not be a good thing.

I'm mainly a XC rider/racer, so I tend to gravitate to the lighter 928's, but we ride in a lot of muddy, rooty conditions in the PNW, so lower psi is always welcome...

again, sorry for the thread dredge.