mtbr member

Tune up for Moab trip

So I am heading to Moab for a full week of riding in Moab ( or as many days as my legs can handle). I am bringing my HD 160.

I want a full tune up a few weeks prior to my trip to make sure everything is in top shape for my trip. I bought my bike 8 months ago and ride in rocky desert 2-3 times a week. I would rather be more then less thorough, here is what my LBS and I have come up with for my tune up any other suggestions

Tear bike down

Check bearings replace only if needed

Breaks have been blead recently

Service front and rear shocks (will be converting my 36 talas to a float at the time)

Tear down lube bottom bracket and crank

Chain and casset look good

Tires I just placed a new trail king 2.2 on the front and rotated previous to back

Anything I missed?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Not sure what hubs you're running, but I would add those to the list of things to potentially service.

mtbr member
    Yeah, rear hub is getting serviced anyway. They are stans 330hd laced to flows. Is the front hub as important to get serviced?

Commit or eat sh!t
    You should focus more on having spare parts IMO. Even though the local shops are good, there are bunch of stuff they may not have if you run into trouble. Like extra derailleur hanger, spokes, brake pads, etc. Plus you should have emergency repair kit and parts in your Camelbak like tire boot, chain links, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Tires I just placed a new trail king 2.2 on the front and rotated previous to back
    Sorry, I've got to ask (if I didn't already). Are you running those tubeless regular version ?
    I've tried so hard to replace my TK 2.4 to the 2.2 size to save ~300g (and still plenty big) but couldn't seal the sidewalls on 2 tires I tried.

mtbr member
    I don't typically service my front hubs very frequently (roughly twice the service interval of the rear hubs), but also don't run the bikes through streams, etc.

I have the Ibis hubs on my HD currently, and am used to CK hubs on other bikes. I need to figure out what needs to be done for the Ibis hubs before my next trip later this year. Or, rebuild the 819/CK wheel that used to be on my old Endorphin with the same hub on a flow rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy View Post
    You should focus more on having spare parts IMO. Even though the local shops are good, there are bunch of stuff they may not have if you run into trouble. Like extra derailleur hanger, spokes, brake pads, etc. Plus you should have emergency repair kit and parts in your Camelbak like tire boot, chain links, etc.
    That's good info. For trips, I normally bring an extra rear derailleur and hanger, pedals, grips, brake pads, brake rotors, stans (since many places I go probably don't stock it), and tires. I need to add extra spokes to my packing list!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Service front and rear shocks (will be converting my 36 talas to a float at the time)

Thanks!
    Dan at Rage did this to the Talas on my HD before he left. The float is soooooo much better!

I think you have done all you need for a Moab trip. I usually just wash and lube everything a day before I leave, as well as a general bolt check and look around. But I am also a ride until it breaks and then replace kind of guy.

Commit or eat sh!t
    PS. If you are gonna re-do the links, I would make sure you loctite the bolts and let em cure for 24 hours. And keep an eye on them the 1st day you ride. If you lose a linkage bolt, it will mess up your trip for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    Sorry, I've got to ask (if I didn't already). Are you running those tubeless regular version ?
    I've tried so hard to replace my TK 2.4 to the 2.2 size to save ~300g (and still plenty big) but couldn't seal the sidewalls on 2 tires I tried.
    No it's the UST version on Flows. I was going to try the tumbles ready ones but my LBS said they had a hard time getting them seated. Since I did not have a single issue with the UST for the life of the tire(a first) I decided to stick with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    I always carry spare parts on road trips, including a set of wheels. Uranium Bicycles in Moab is the Ibis dealer. The owner, Marshall, is a solid guy (good rider too) and can help you out if needed. Uranium Bicycles - Moab Bike Rentals, Parts and Service

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No it's the UST version on Flows. I was going to try the tumbles ready ones but my LBS said they had a hard time getting them seated. Since I did not have a single issue with the UST for the life of the tire(a first) I decided to stick with it.
    the regular TK on Flow sealed the rims with no issue (actually easier than the Iodine rims I tried first probably due to the tape on the flow making it easier to start inflating) but it is the sidewalls that are full of tiny holes I couldn't seal.

Do you have a weight for the TK 2.2 UST ? non UST were 640-650g which is a lot less than the TK 2.4 at 930g I have now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Maybe add some stan's tire sealant?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Save your money and tune the bike after or better yet, leave it at home. Moab does ungodly things to bikes. Honestly, I wouldn't bring mine especially when you can rent from Uranium right there and his gear is top notch. If you do bring your rig, Marshall is your man if you need parts or repairs. I can't think of anything he wouldn't have.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'll second crlavoie. Just make sure everything is snugged up and lubed going out there. Plenty of shops to help you if you need it. It's AFTER Moab that you need to do the tear-down. That fine gritty sand gets into everything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Don't forget to check spoke tension. Even if your wheels are nice and true, give 'em a quick check to be sure everything is stiff and even.

mtbr member
    The desert is about the most abusive environment possible for a bike. All the abrasive sand and dust will be especially tough on your drivetrain and brakes. I would bring two pairs of brake pads, chain and cassette. Make sure your bearings are in good shape, as any grit will quickly kill them if seals are worn. Spokes are a good thing to pack as well.