Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Tune for Monarch Plus RC3 on Mojo HD and review

Hi,

I am thinking of buying the 2014 Monarch Plus RC3 for my Mojo HD.
    Does anyone has experience or review of this shock?

Also, does anyone know what tune I should get and whether the HV or Standard Volume can?

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The monarch plus is plush. I haven't ridden it on an HD, only on a niner WFO.

There is some info on that shock with an HD here: http://www.ibiscycles.com/downloads/...5_05_Mojos.pdf

Just search the pdf for monarch, they have the tune and info there.

Team Chilidog!
    I rode the Monarch Plus on a Ventana Ciclon, and I will be getting one for my Mojo HD.

I had a midtune for the Ventana, plan on getting a low tune for the Mojo HD. Great shock, especially if it doesn't burn out like the one I had a couple of years ago. I was constantly sending that thing in for warranty. Maybe I got a dud. But when it worked, it was awesome. Did hear good things about the recent ones of it.

My Mojo HD is a small, so two shocks fit it: the Fox CTD and the Monarch Plus. Wish a coil or the X-fusion non-piggyback fits

Push doesn't rebuild them anymore, but SRAM was really good with warranty for it. I plan on keeping my CTD as a backup shock, but that's all it's good for.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    I have a Monarch Plus on my HD M/M tune, best air shock I have tried (rp23, ccdb-air, monarch rt3) plush as hell, hard to overheat, & no compression spikes. I weigh @180 and ride everything from rough/rocky to steep & flowy. This is all with the HV can & about 6 volume spacers. @33% sag

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I rode the Monarch Plus on a Ventana Ciclon, and I will be getting one for my Mojo HD.

I had a midtune for the Ventana, plan on getting a low tune for the Mojo HD. Great shock, especially if it doesn't burn out like the one I had a couple of years ago. I was constantly sending that thing in for warranty. Maybe I got a dud. But when it worked, it was awesome. Did hear good things about the recent ones of it.

My Mojo HD is a small, so two shocks fit it: the Fox CTD and the Monarch Plus. Wish a coil or the X-fusion non-piggyback fits

Push doesn't rebuild them anymore, but SRAM was really good with warranty for it. I plan on keeping my CTD as a backup shock, but that's all it's good for.
    My buddy just got his Monarch Plus tuned by Push last week. Not sure if they are doing them again for everyone or if it was a one off for him.

I have run both stock and now Pushed tunes. M/L is the recommendation from Ibis and I also run about 33% sag. Going from Fox to this is like riding a new bike.

Team Chilidog!

Tune for Monarch Plus RC3 on Mojo HD and review

Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    My buddy just got his Monarch Plus tuned by Push last week. Not sure if they are doing them again for everyone or if it was a one off for him.

I have run both stock and now Pushed tunes. M/L is the recommendation from Ibis and I also run about 33% sag. Going from Fox to this is like riding a new bike.
    That blows. They told me they're not tuning Monarch Plus's anymore, and that was two weeks ago. I wish they'd make up their mind.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    That blows. They told me they're not tuning Monarch Plus's anymore, and that was two weeks ago. I wish they'd make up their mind.
    Maybe Salespunks friend had a Monarch plus that had been pushed before they stpped working on monarchs? I know with my pushed monarch plus I was told Push will continue to service or retune my shock for me. So if you had a previously pushed shock they would continue to service and retune it.

Team Sanchez
    I've been on a Monarch plus for 2 years now. After a year, I had mine Push'd. No issues whatsoever. I replace the aircan seals every 60 hours of riding or so. Mine is an M/L tune with High volume can as recommended by Push for the HD. I also have a Fox DHX 5.0 that I run for more gnarly outings. I am completely stoked on the Monarch plus. Super plush, and performance doesn't fade, even on longer gravity runs like Whole Enchilada, etc. I am curious about the new ones, but not enough to make me want to part with my current setup..
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Dissolved member
    I'd say get a Monarch+ RC3 for 140mm and a nice coiler for 160mm.

mtbr member
    I run the Monarch Plus RC3 with the low compression, medium rebound high volume can like the guys at Ibis recommend. I like it a lot, though I did have to shim the air can a good bit to keep it from bottoming out on moderate to heavy hits. Shimming the air can was easy with a few laps of electrical tape. I started with a little and kept adding until I got to a place where it was still sensitive without bottoming out. I'm about 190-195 with a full bag of water and gear on board, I run the shock at about 155-160 psi. That gives me the recommended 30% sag which I also recommend personally. Less sag than that seems to hinder the performance of the bike more than make it any more efficient. If I could I would move to a Cane Creek Double Barrel Air but I don't seem to have $500.00 lying around so I muddle through* with my Monarch.

*That bit about muddling through was sarcasm just to be clear. Punch me in the nuts if I complain about ridding a bike that costs 5+ kilo bucks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks guys ! You have all been really helpful..time to get my monarch plus. Does it need any special mounting hardware ?

mtbr member
    I got a Push'd Monarch Plus for my HD just before they stopped offering them...been super happy running it without issue ever since. Push recommended the Standard Can for me, not as a function of the bike, but because of my weight. I'm 230 lbs. Apparently once you cross a certain weight threshold, a HV can is no longer ideal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone know where to find the 2014 in the low compression tune flavor? I'm only seeing and high tunes.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    Anyone know where to find the 2014 in the low compression tune flavor? I'm only seeing and high tunes.
    I ordered a medium tune because I couldn't find a low tune either. It's still better than the FOX POS.

I might sent it back to Rock Shox and have them retune it, but someone else said they rode the midtune and it felt fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have checked with rs distributors and they say 2014 don't come in low comp... only mid/mid.
    Ibis recommended low comp only. ..that's why I am holding off till there are solutions.

Stripes , can rs tune the shock ? How much will it cost ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The Bikeco Roco is really a fantastic alternative to the PUSH'd monarch plus. I've owned both and much prefer the Bikeco shock. Also the new stickers make it look really badass and totally custom. But yea, performance (for me) for bikeco > push Monarch Plus.

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanarius View Post
    I have checked with rs distributors and they say 2014 don't come in low comp... only mid/mid.
    Ibis recommended low comp only. ..that's why I am holding off till there are solutions.

Can't comment on the cost of a RS tune, but I do know that Suspension Experts can perform the re-tune to make it M/L. I've been in touch with them lately, and their price for a new Monarch Plus with the custom tune is comparable to the cost of a stock Monarch Plus bought elsewhere.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    I have a Pushed Monarch RT that I am looking to sell if anyone is interested.
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dacarbon View Post
    The Bikeco Roco is really a fantastic alternative to the PUSH'd monarch plus. I've owned both and much prefer the Bikeco shock. Also the new stickers make it look really badass and totally custom. But yea, performance (for me) for bikeco > push Monarch Plus.
    I second this. The Rocco is awesome. Rips the fox apart

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    Can't comment on the cost of a RS tune, but I do know that Suspension Experts can perform the re-tune to make it M/L. I've been in touch with them lately, and their price for a new Monarch Plus with the custom tune is comparable to the cost of a stock Monarch Plus bought elsewhere.
    Good to know. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I have some downtime. Or if I can sell my Fox for something. I think keeping a spare air shock around, and maybe my Monarch Plus will become my backup shock if I can find something else that fits, but only if it's a non-piggyback.

Quote Originally Posted by dacarbon View Post
    Problem is, I can't use that shock since it has a piggyback and doesn't clear the small HD. Otherwise, I would have gone that route.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanarius View Post

I'm guessing they can, but there should be plenty of aftermarket shock folks other than Push who can.

mtbr member
    Hey there fello Mojo HDers, I run the 2014 Monarch Plus on my HD. They only tune available right now is the medium/medium but dont worry I have had amazing results with just a little tuning. The 2014 has all new shim stack valving and even a new main piston design compared to any of the older rc3's. I am 164lbs Cat1 or Expert classes, ride as fast and hard as my lungs will allow me . I have been testing some different valve setups and really have found that just removing one shim from the valve stack and lowering the ifp pressure has made it pretty darn lovely. Try not to get to caught up on the stock tune valves rockshox sells, with a little work and testing you can make a custom setup for yourself If anyone has any questions or need anything let me know

mtbr member
    Nice feedback!

mtbr member
    I have had some more time on my 14 Monarch + and anyone with a med/med tune that wants more of a low compression tune, just pull 1 22x.15 shim from the main compression stack and thats it you will be amazed

Lightly salted
    Thanks KXmoto502,
    This is something I would like to try. What ifp pressure did you go with and what was original pressure? Can you compare the 2012 monarch plus to the 2014 version, is there a noticeable difference?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast