mtbr member
    Jan 2004

True Widths: Continental Mountain and Trail King USTs

I'd like to put a 2.4 Trail King UST up front and a 2.2 Mountain King UST on the rear of my HD. But it looks like the 2.2 Mountain King is more than 0.2" difference than the Trail King 2.4

What are the true measured widths of these tires?
    Mountain King UST and Trail King UST in:

Thanks
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Can't precisely answer your question at the moment, can later tonight as that setup is exactly how my new SL-R was built up with.

Grams Light Bikes
    Somewhere I might have the MK width, but they are skinnier than the TK. I would call the MK 2.4 more like fat 2.25's. They don't have much girth, but the knobs stick out farther in direct comparison to the TK's, which have a uber fat girth.

Trail Kings =>
    2.4 UST - 1132.8 grams and 1129.1 grams, Carcass 2.45"
    2.2 UST - 801.4 grams and 802.4 grams, Carcass 2.2"

Reviews => Continental Rubber Queen UST Review | Mountain Bike Review
    Continental Rubber Queen Review | Mountain Bike Review

Personally, I would skip the MK and stick with the TK, much better tire IMHO. Also, they can be trickier to install, but the normal TK have a better feel than the UST. Plus the UST are pretty darn heavy. They just came out with the TK Protection in 2.2, while the 2.4 Protection should be out shortly. I'll have a review on the TK 2.2 Protection asap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Somewhere I might have the MK width, but they are skinnier than the TK. I would call the MK 2.4 more like fat 2.25's. They don't have much girth, but the knobs stick out farther in direct comparison to the TK's, which have a uber fat girth.

Trail Kings =>
    2.4 UST - 1132.8 grams and 1129.1 grams, Carcass 2.45"
    2.2 UST - 801.4 grams and 802.4 grams, Carcass 2.2"

Reviews => Continental Rubber Queen UST Review | Mountain Bike Review
    Continental Rubber Queen Review | Mountain Bike Review

Personally, I would skip the MK and stick with the TK, much better tire IMHO. Also, they can be trickier to install, but the normal TK have a better feel than the UST. Plus the UST are pretty darn heavy. They just came out with the TK Protection in 2.2, while the 2.4 Protection should be out shortly. I'll have a review on the TK 2.2 Protection asap.
    Thanks for this great info. I've always liked UST tires for the more secure bead mounting. But if the TK Protections are nearly as good, it could be a good compromise for performance and weight savings on my heavier-than-I-expected HD build.

I like the MK as a rear for the center thread pattern since it looks to be more suited for climbing and better rolling resistance.

Post back with that review when you can.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Which between TK 2.2 and 2.4 are better in the wet? I've read a lot, but seem to get mixed reviews. Don't want to run a Hans Dampf rear, but am in the PNW, and need grippy tires this Fall/Winter. Want to go Baron 2.3 rear, but they don't have the protection version out yet, and UST version is out of stock. Thanks for any info you guys can toss my way.

mtbr member
    I always ran 2.4 MK/TK front and rear. MiG of course w/ BC.
    A touch slower but the grip was the best there is.
    And I have owned/mounted and ridden everything that is currently 'in'
    I dont currently own a 26" wheel set set but I still keep three Contis on the wall just in case.

I did the same on the 29er bender I just went on... coming back to an HD to try the 650b.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.