mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Tranny vs Full Suspension XC frame

Need Tranny owners opinions.....

Currently ride a SC Nomad MKII great bike but it feels like a lot of effort goes in to be fast.

Enter the Tranny.

What are peoples opinions (it all looks positive but of course you would after buying such a frame)? Those that own a full suspension XC bike and the Tranny do you mind the hard tail aspect or if you were doing a race would you choose the full sus XC bike?

Just trying to get an idea if i could live with H/T again its been around 5years.

It would be a strict XC bike but also considering a proper more XC orientated full sus bike instead.

What are peoples thoughts looking for educated opinions!

flow where ever you go
    I think the Tranny is better for XC racing in general but a light Mojo would kick it's ass in some technical races. It really depends how much tech you ride and how tech it is. If not that bad, and you want to go fast, then I think the Tranny is a good choice. It absorbs trail chatter and impacts better than any aluminum hard tail I've ridden while remaining stiff laterally and accelerating like any good HT bike. I own both and would choose my weapon depending on the race - but overall for XC I don't see a problem with the Tranny being your only bike.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

Stucco Bucket
    Im a big fan of hardtails. They are pure, solid and to the point. If I wasnt building a Mojo and an Orbea Alma right now Id jump on a tranny. 130mm fork, all mountain wheels and a 110 stem.

mtbr member
    Before you spend the $, I would definitely hop on a Tranny demo or even any loaner hardtail and ride a couple of the trails you think you might use the Tranny on. I hadn't ridden a hardtail for years, and then borrowed one for few rides while on a trip. Wow, I had forgotten how "hard" hardtails really are. Harder on the body, harder to ride on even intermediate technical terrain (both up and down). Saps your energy on the techy stuff.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it---in fact, if your body can handle it, HT's are fantastic for keeping your riding skills sharp, and certainly better for climbing non-technical trails. Super fun in a purist kind of way, and the Tranny is an awesome bike. But definitely caveat emptor. I use my Mojo for both trail riding and in XC races (I lighten my setup for races) and it does great in both, and I wouldn't trade it for a HT for either type of riding.