mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Tranny owners: How you liking it?

Not having the best time finding reviews on this bike...any input from current or past owners welcome please.

If I got one it would be built up ss with a 100mm fork.

Couple specific questions if anyone can answer:

Hows rear tire clearance? I live in the south and mud is often.
    Is a 100mm fork best for handling?
    Any trouble with tensioning for singlespeed?
    Anyone go from a 29er to the tranny?

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It's a great handling light bike. Tyre clearance on mine is fine (2.1 Conti Vapours). I use a Maverick SC32 on mine, 120mm ish of travel and it still handles great. Not tried it with 100mm though. Not SS'ed it and I've not ridden a 29er. I do like mine, it's all about the handling for me and my Tranny does deliver....

mtbr member
    So I've had mine for about a year now. It's one of three bike I have, the Tranny, a Bianchi PUSS, and a Niner One 9. I rode the One 9 and a few other 29er single speeds for 3 years before switching back to 26" wheels. It's a pretty easy switch with the Tranny and I'm actually in the process of getting ride of the One 9 now.

I have the Tranny setup as a SS and if you follow the directions that Ibis gives for setting it up SS you'll have no problem with the setup. The rear tire clearance is ok. I ran a 2.35 small block 8 in the back with out any problem and I'm getting a Mutano 2.4 for the back soon, but then again there is no clay type mud like down south up here.

As for the 100mm fork I switch between that and a 470mm a2c rigid fork, which is about the same a2c as a 100mm fork. The handling is good for the type of trails I ride in New England, rocks roots, narrow twisty single track.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Just what I was looking for, thanks! I have had a Niner, how would you compare the One9 to the Tranny? Rough stuff, handling, fast downhills, etc.

Thanks again.

Too Much Fun

No 29 love?

Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan View Post
    So I've had mine for about a year now. It's one of three bike I have, the Tranny, a Bianchi PUSS, and a Niner One 9. I rode the One 9 and a few other 29er single speeds for 3 years before switching back to 26" wheels. It's a pretty easy switch with the Tranny and I'm actually in the process of getting rid of the One 9 now.
    I'm curious, what brought you back to 26"? I am on the fence, kinda wish the Tranny could go 650b... I've ridden 29 a couple of times and did not find Jesus.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Love my Tranny. Thought I would be riding it about 20% of the time when I bought it but I'd guess I'm riding it about 50% of the time because it's so fun (My other bike is a Mojo HD). It has become my go to bike for night riding as I pick flatter trails at night rather than steep descents.

As for your specific questions I have mine setup with a Fox F100 RLC which feels about right. I am using Mutano 2.4's and have had no problems with clearance but they are narrow for 2.4's and I don't think I have the same kind of mud that you have. Mine is setup 3x9 and I did not come from a 29er. The bike just pedals and handles really, really well.

Just wanted to add my two cents...

mtbr member
    I have a tranny 2x10 and a Mojo SL. I ride mostly flowing single track and find that I ride them 50/50 switching back and forth every few rides. Its kind of cool how riding one makes me a better rider on the other when I switch back. The tranny rails the smooth corners like nothing else.

mtbr member
    singlespeed Tranny here with rigid 29 er fork. Runs real smooth and is a ton of fun, my play bike. Love my Tranny. Never answered a single question of yours but I just wanted to pile on some Tranny love.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    Just what I was looking for, thanks! I have had a Niner, how would you compare the One9 to the Tranny? Rough stuff, handling, fast downhills, etc.

Thanks again.
    I've only demoed the Tranny, but currently ride a couple of different 29er ss bikes, have a 26er that is ridden some as well. Have owned, ridden and raced the one 9.

Tranny is a very smooth riding frame - does a great job of absorbing trail chatter, but is still very stiff under power. A smoother rider than the one 9.

When I go from 29 to 26 I notice that I lose some of the point and shoot and roll over benefits of the bigger wheel, no different with Tranny. The trade off is a livelier ride. I was still able to rail the bike.

If I owned one I'd put a 120mm fork on it. I've also recently become a huge fan of dropper posts, even for racing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have 2 trannys 1 set up as single speed and the other as 1x10 love the the ride of both and ride both as my main ride.
    also have a 5.7 pivot that i use as a fill in bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    I'm curious, what brought you back to 26"? I am on the fence, kinda wish the Tranny could go 650b... I've ridden 29 a couple of times and did not find Jesus.
    I'm kind of curious about this question as well. I've always wanted a Tranny, but I cannot justify both my One 9 and Tranny, which means I'd have to sell before getting the Tranny.

Thanks for your thoughts, Loudpawlz. Wish I could test these bikes back to back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Long Live the Tranny

Not just liking it, I'm actually LOVING the Tranny haha.. Tranny has already been to most places where my Blur LTc has ridden, but so lively. I'm interested in trying out the 650b and 29ers some day, but there is still plenty of time and fun left from these 26ers. With Tranny you 'feel' the trail, and the feeling has been simply wicked!Tranny owners: How you liking it?-tranny.jpg

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    Not having the best time finding reviews on this bike...any input from current or past owners welcome please.
    I love my Tranny. I've had it in three configurations over the past few years:

First, it was a 1x9 with flat pedals, 120mm through-axle fork (Reba Team), high-engagement hubs (I9 all mountains) and a dropper post (Reverb). Gorgeous, I used to do a lot of playing on stunts, but the rear mech would get bashed. So I quickly switched to:

Second, single-speed with the above setup and 23x17 gearing. Really slow on the flats but I could ride up and over anything. The handling was fine with the 120mm fork. Here's a picture:

The fashion for riding North Shore stunts has started to fade around here, and the locals have been chopping ride-overs and generally sanitizing the trails to make them friendly for 29ers whizzing at speed.

I've gone with the flow and rejigged the Tranny as a rigid single speed:

I bought a cheap Chinese carbon fork and went with some old American Classic 26" SS wheels (they no longer make them in the 26" size). The dropper post has been replaced by a Syntace HiFlex and there has been a general dropping of weight. Gearing is now 34x18 and I'm riding clipless pedals instead of flats.

It's still a ton of fun. I doubt it's faster than a 29er rigid, but I love whipping it through tight turns and especially climbing rooty, technical steeps where even the big wheels falter. It's down to about 17 pounds and I'm not going any further with the Weight Weenie obsession. It's a great bike just the way it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    raganwald - Thanks for the review. I'm still looking to build up a medium in orange. Please feel free to post up more pics.