Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tranny 29'er

DILLIGAF

Tranny 29'er

I read on the Ibis Facebook page the Tranny 29'er is being launched tomorrow. Yes!!

https://www.facebook.com/IbisBikes

DILLIGAF

mtbr member
    Can't wait my old school 26 tranny needs a vacation from 3 years of hardwork. Hopefully I can still use my S&S box for air travel. Excited might be tough to sleep tonight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Does anyone else thing the top tube length on the "XL" Tranny is a joke?

COTA member
    Love the geo especially with the 100mm fork.

DILLIGAF
    Gates Carbon Belt Drive compatible, nice!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I should have been more specific in my snide comment - at 6'5", I've always pined for a Ibis but the relative smallness of their XL frames leaves me wanting. For me its a 26" ETT or nothin!

mtbr member
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Meh.

mtbr member
    I just verified with Scot on whether the new Tranny 29er was eligible for the www.VMBA.org Win Any Ibis raffle. His response was not only yes, but hell yes! Ha...you have to love Chuck Ibis.

So there you have it, donate to the Vermont Mountain Bike Association to help build more trails and you could win a new Tranny 29er....or Ripley or Mojo HDR or Mojo SL-R.. Winner picks size and color.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Frame only retail pricing at $1,699 is very competitive vs most of the other like/comparable manufacturers such as Yeti, Intense, Pivot, Santa Cruz which are all at the $2K mark for their carbon HT frames. Niner Air 9 RDO is $1,799.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by msimmons View Post
    Gates Carbon Belt Drive compatible, nice!!!!!!!!
    Yes, also 142x12 which means no hub gears for the nichemongers among us.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The question is...does a 29'r wheel fit in a 26x26x10 case (like S&S)? I can't imagine it would. I'm pretty sure a 27.5" rim is a close call w/o the tire. If it doesn't I'd rather have a different option to tension the chain.

My one complaint about the 26'r Tranny is it's sort of a PITA to take apart and rebuild on a trip, but I'm willing to do it to save $100 each way. Takes me about 30 minutes each direction.

If the 29'r Tranny's wheels won't fit in a case that I won't get charged with, I don't see the point. I'd rather have a stiffer rear end and just put it in a "normal" bike case so I only have to do a few minutes of assembly at the other side of my trip.

Price is nice though. I was (mildly) considering the Pivot 27.5" hardtail. I think that is $2G's for the frame.

mtbr member
    My Mojo HDR with 650b wheels, with tires on, fit in my Ritchy soft sided travel case. I would guess that the 29ers would fit too but you'd have to let all the air out of the tires. It could get messy if the bead breaks and it's full of stans. I paid $30 each way from VT to Moab. My buddies had to pay $175- each way for their full sized cases. I gladly took the extra time to disassemble and reassemble for that kind of money.

mtbr member
    I emailed about the 26x26x10 S&S hard case, and Scott replied:
    "If you're an engineer, or good at origami, you can fit it in that case. But it's really really tight."

I have packed my large 26" tranny and large SL but it is about 4 hours total bike work for a round trip.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    I should have been more specific in my snide comment - at 6'5", I've always pined for a Ibis but the relative smallness of their XL frames leaves me wanting. For me its a 26" ETT or nothin!
    Hello hjulier,

Tom from Ibis posting. If you're dead set on a 26" ETT there's not much I can say, but I'm 6'6" and have been riding the XL frame quite comfortably. Mine's set-up singlespeed and I was a little surprised to find that I had set a number of PRs on local trail segments, both up and down (vs my geared bikes).

While an extra long front-center dimension on a full suspension bike makes a lot of sense, it may not be the best thing on a hardtail. For one, hardtails cantilever around the rear axle as the fork compresses, as opposed to squatting down like a dually. This isn't a big deal when you're only running a 80mm or less fork, but with a 100 or 120mm fork the feeling of being tossed forward can be unnerving. The slightly shorter ETT allows me to easily get my weight back while descending to counter that effect.

Also, the Tranny 29 is designed to be a nimble XC/Trail bike, not a sled. The short wheelbase enables you to navigate the tight twistys in remarkable fashion. Riding with friends I've noticed that I've gapped them in a single switchback just because I was able to make the turn so much more easily.

Once again, if a 26" ETT is what you want than we won't be able to help you. But if you get a chance to demo one I would recommend giving it a try. Maybe we'll be able to change your mind.

Take Care
    Tom

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I felt the same about the Ripley when it came out...I even complained about it being too short on paper. Took it out for a ride and was very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Tom View Post
    Hello hjulier,

Tom from Ibis posting. If you're dead set on a 26" ETT there's not much I can say, but I'm 6'6" and have been riding the XL frame quite comfortably. Mine's set-up singlespeed and I was a little surprised to find that I had set a number of PRs on local trail segments, both up and down (vs my geared bikes).

While an extra long front-center dimension on a full suspension bike makes a lot of sense, it may not be the best thing on a hardtail. For one, hardtails cantilever around the rear axle as the fork compresses, as opposed to squatting down like a dually. This isn't a big deal when you're only running a 80mm or less fork, but with a 100 or 120mm fork the feeling of being tossed forward can be unnerving. The slightly shorter ETT allows me to easily get my weight back while descending to counter that effect.

Also, the Tranny 29 is designed to be a nimble XC/Trail bike, not a sled. The short wheelbase enables you to navigate the tight twistys in remarkable fashion. Riding with friends I've noticed that I've gapped them in a single switchback just because I was able to make the turn so much more easily.

Once again, if a 26" ETT is what you want than we won't be able to help you. But if you get a chance to demo one I would recommend giving it a try. Maybe we'll be able to change your mind.

Take Care
    Tom
    Tom,

Thanks for chiming in. Could you elaborate on the geometry choices for this bike? With so much success in short chainstay slacker geo hard tails (Honzo, nimble 9, ROS9, etc) and their trends bleeding into XC Geo with brands like Pivot & Canondale the steeper head angle surprised me. Could you illustrate why you stayed in the 71/70 degree range instead of following the trend into the 69/68 range?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    anyone got a frame weight?

Whatever
    3.08 lbs for a medium. So easy to get to sub 20 lbs without using silly light stuff.
    just ride

Norðwegr
    Now they just need to update the ripley with similar cable inlets and I'll be a happy camper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The geometry of this bike is what it is, and it's fine, but all of the ad copy saying that a 71° head angle is more trail than XC should probably be taken out. It's hard to even find an XC bike with a head angle steeper than 70°.

mtbr member
    At 6'5" and maybe a little old school the TT length is perfect IMHO. The only thing I would change is a slacker seat tube angle, 72ish, but I think I am in the minority there.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    The geometry of this bike is what it is, and it's fine, but all of the ad copy saying that a 71° head angle is more trail than XC should probably be taken out. It's hard to even find an XC bike with a head angle steeper than 70°.
    it will be interesting to see how it rides with a 120mm/51mm offset fork.

I ride a ~69.8* hta 100mm ht 29er, and it's damn fun on nearly every trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I dunno. I think head angle is an over used spec. Most people I know, that know bike design, talk trail vs HA. The Tranny has the same 80mm of trail as the Ripley with a 120mm fork. Plenty of people riding the Ripley as a trail/xc bike. I'd assume the Tranny would work just as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    I dunno. I think head angle is an over used spec. Most people I know, that know bike design, talk trail vs HA. The Tranny has the same 80mm of trail as the Ripley with a 120mm fork. Plenty of people riding the Ripley as a trail/xc bike. I'd assume the Tranny would work just as well.
    Sure but we are all using the same forks. My point is just that if you look at the spectrum of hard tails out there, the Tranny falls on the XC end, and it's not even close. In fact, it has fairly conventional XC geometry numbers. I'm sure it's a sweet bike, but it's not like new geometry territory is being charted here, despite what it says in the catalog.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    can you fit a 29x2.4 tire in the back? or is this like a ripley?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Looks nice. Still waiting for a 27.5 " rear swingarm retrofit for my 26" Tranny. Might as well include the belt drive option and 142 x 12 dropouts. Ibis are you listening?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wantriot View Post
    Tom,

Thanks for chiming in. Could you elaborate on the geometry choices for this bike? With so much success in short chainstay slacker geo hard tails (Honzo, nimble 9, ROS9, etc) and their trends bleeding into XC Geo with brands like Pivot & Canondale the steeper head angle surprised me. Could you illustrate why you stayed in the 71/70 degree range instead of following the trend into the 69/68 range?
    Basically wantriot, as someone else already noted, the Tranny 29 with a 100mm fork/44 mm offset has the same trail as the Ripley with a 120mm/51mm fork. People really seem to like the Ripley handling and so do we.

I've ridden the new Tranny with both a 100 and a 120 mm fork on it. If I was going to race XC on it I'd stick with the 100mm fork, but for me I like the 120 fork a little better. The added axle-to-crown wasn't a problem given my height, and - like the original Tranny - the bike seems to invite you to ride downhill faster than you reasonably should on a hardtail. The longer fork makes that a little less hectic.

Take Care,
    Tom

mtbr member
    Spotted Scot Nicole up in Tahoe a couple weeks ago, The one with the Gates belt drive weighed like 19 pounds I think.

Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Looks fantastic! Another sculpted beauty.

Geo looks like classic Ibis....nimble and fun...versatile...engaging for the committed rider.

Cable routing looks dialed, slot machine looks more dialed. Reasonable price. Check. Check. Check. Love the Marine Layer finish too...so NorCal. Looks like a home run to me, in a purely Ibis style.

Gates drive and some 941 wheels sounds like silly good times

Congrats, people!

mtbr member
    Must say that it looks just great. I'd go for the Gates and two different rear wheels for max versatility; one SS and one internal gear hub.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Now they just need to update the ripley with similar cable inlets and I'll be a happy camper.
    Definitely! Looks so much cleaner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Good job!

Gates drive pushing an internally geared hub on a carbon hardtail is pretty sexy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'd go for the Gates and two different rear wheels for max versatility; one SS and one internal gear hub.
    Gates drive pushing an internally geared hub on a carbon hardtail is pretty sexy.
    What 142x12 IGH is this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbeintobago View Post
    What 142x12 IGH is this?
    They are prototype 170mm spacing Rohloff's floating around, so I imagine they'll eventually come out with a 142mm solution.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    They are prototype 170mm spacing Rohloff's floating around, so I imagine they'll eventually come out with a 142mm solution.
    I'm not sure they will; isn't the current shifting actuation mechanism contained within (or at least co-axial with) the axle?

screamer
    Just so I can time the appropriate moment to dump my GoPro shares & root through the couch for old quarters, has anyone heard when the Trannys (Trannies?) start shipping?
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    Just so I can time the appropriate moment to dump my GoPro shares & root through the couch for old quarters, has anyone heard when the Trannys (Trannies?) start shipping?
    +1 thinking of selling off my CX bike to fund a Tranny frame so would be nice to know FCS dates

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I like the idea of pairing this bike with the 41mm wide rims and some super low rolling resistant tubeless tires.... Anxious to hear some reviews on that set up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    interesting!

DILLIGAF
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    +1....Bueller, Bueller...

mtbr member
    Chain stay length was a little bit of a bummer... is it possible to effectively change that number by slamming the rear end in the most forward position I wonder? Before someone asks "why" I challenge you to ride a light and tight 29er - CS length in the 420 mm range has been done and the advantages and fun factor are out of control!

Love my Ripley, and it's pretty tight in the wheel base category, but I'd love to see this in an even more playful version. I guess I'm probably not the market for this bike - that said it looks great and I want to ride one!!!
    My one says BRAP!

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    In that neighborhood, the 23" Trek Superfly and XXL Santa Cruz Highball Carbon come to mind.

-D

mtbr member
    The order is in now the wait!! I'm excited sold my crappy, noisy, boring Niner Carbon.
    Color choice was hard with the limited pics of this new bike. I have a blue mach 6 and a orange tranny so I went safe boring route with the matte black.

Anyone got the first batch would love to hear a review. It was a hard decision for me being 5'9 I didn't want another 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    really excited about this bike. I am looking for a possible replacement to my custom steel s & s coupled bike. Is there a thread somewhere about those who had the 26" version and their trials and tribulations. I thought I read somewhere about the bolts being redesigned in the 29er version due to previous squeeks. I am curious about side to side stiffess relative to typical steel or aluminum hardtails. Sorry no carbon experience for me. Tall Tom. I want to hear more since I want an XL. Also someone asked about whether 29er wheels, tires will fit in S & S softsided. YES. and yes you ahve to let out all the air and some stans might leak out. I'm 2 for 4 on the leaky thing. Thanks. jv miami fl

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvossman View Post
    really excited about this bike. I am looking for a possible replacement to my custom steel s & s coupled bike. Is there a thread somewhere about those who had the 26" version and their trials and tribulations. I thought I read somewhere about the bolts being redesigned in the 29er version due to previous squeeks. I am curious about side to side stiffess relative to typical steel or aluminum hardtails. Sorry no carbon experience for me. Tall Tom. I want to hear more since I want an XL. Also someone asked about whether 29er wheels, tires will fit in S & S softsided. YES. and yes you ahve to let out all the air and some stans might leak out. I'm 2 for 4 on the leaky thing. Thanks. jv miami fl
    Hello Jvossman,

Tom from Ibis posting. In my experience aluminum and steel frames can't compare to a modern carbon frame in terms of lateral stiffness. In fact, not long ago I built up one of an old steel Bridgestone of mine that managed to be both flexier and harsher riding than any of my carbon bikes. In regard to the Tranny in particular, it seems plenty adequate in terms of stiffness. Yet at the same time it's less harsh riding than the old Tranny 26.

As far as tires not losing their Stan's when they're deflated, that depends on how tight the tire fits the rim and the rim's BSD. I wouldn't want to count on that though.

Tire heights vary widely, and that seems to drive tire compatibility the most. We do not have the ability to check every tire for compatibility, but we've tried many of the most popular. Generally speaking the German tires - Continental and Schwalbe tend to be the tallest. I'm running the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.2 in the rear with plenty of room to the side, but not a ton of room to the front.

Hope that helps.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Tom. Sounds like my dream frame at a reasonable price. Saving and going through ye ol bike room to see what I can sell.....

Whatever

2.35 Hans Dampf fits with tons of room

Picked up my Tranny yesterday. Now just waiting for my 120mm RS-1 to build up!

Here's confirmation that a 29x2.35 Schwalbe Hans Dampf fits just fine. This is on a 35mm wide Derby rim. The 41mm Ibis rims might add a touch, but even if they added 6mm (doubtful) there would be plenty of room. I'd say there is 8-10mm on either chainstay; more on seatstays, and 10-12mm at seat tube with it moved to shortest setting.

Tranny 29'er-wp_20140806_003.jpgTranny 29'er-wp_20140806_004.jpgTranny 29'er-wp_20140806_006.jpgTranny 29'er-wp_20140806_008.jpg
    just ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MINImtnbiker View Post
    The 41mm Ibis rims might add a touch, but even if they added 6mm (doubtful) there would be plenty of room.
    Not for mud though, unless it's the angle?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    just got my frame yesterday so hopefully will have time to get it built up tomorrow and post some picks. here are the specs
    tranny 29 frame matte/blue size large singlespeed
    rockshox sid 29 120mm rct3 black with custom light blue decals
    cane creek headset
    Easton haven 70mm stem
    Easton haven carbon low rise bar
    formula r1 race brakes 180/160 2piece rotors
    Easton ec70 carbon seatpost
    SDG falcon ti saddle
    sram rise 60 carbon wheels
    schwalbe rocket ron 29x 2.25 set up tubeless
    sram x0 cranks bb92 gxp Bottom bracket
    crank brothers eggbeater 3 pedals
    have both gates belt drive and regular chain drive setups to see what I like better.

will definitely be under 20pounds maybe even under 19pounds. will get photos as soon as I get it built.
    santa cruz hightower
    yeti asrc
    niner rlt

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Tony - where are the pics promised???? I am really itching to get one of these.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    sorry to leave you hanging. here are some photos. have not ridden it other then around the yard but hopefully Thursday for its maiden voyage.

santa cruz hightower
    yeti asrc
    niner rlt

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    a few more

santa cruz hightower
    yeti asrc
    niner rlt

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That looks awesome. Would like to hear your impressions after the ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Me too. I am considering getting the Tranny however I am concerned about creaking from the bolts attaching the rear triangle. Also does having the bolts take away any of the HT feeling from the ride?

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member
    Lots of miles on my 26" tranny and no creaks at all. rock solid hardtail feel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeze6700 View Post
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Rode about 15miles yesterday. felt awesome. being a 2piece frame does not feel any different then every other hardtail I have ridden. no complaints. alittle squeak hear and there from the bolt area but way less then my niners have had. nothing ground breaking with anything in the geometry or design but felt really comfortable from 1st pedal stroke. I wasn't looking for it to do anything to knock my socks off, just wanted an alternative to riding an 1x11 tallboy every ride. initial impressions are positive so much that I see myself riding this for at least the next few rides before jumping back on the tallboy.
    santa cruz hightower
    yeti asrc
    niner rlt

mtbr member
    Dang all the eye candy, I'm still waiting for my frameset size med all black. When is the next batch Ibis? I'll even take the grey at this point. Love reading all the positive reviews thanks

Whatever

First ride on new Tranny in Breckenridge -- awesome

After a short shakedown ride, I finally got a couple of hours in on local Breck trails. A little of everything, steep, rocky, fast, 3' drops etc. LOVE IT.

I set my Tranny up to mimic my Ripley w/ a 140 fork. I tried to keep it light...but I wanted a stiff fork, more travel, wide bars and big tires. So...

Large Tranny frame
    Pike 130 (51 offset)
    Angleset set at -1 degree (68.5 head angle)
    Wheels: Industry 9 torch singlespeed hubs/spokes laced to Derby rims
    RaceFace Next SL cranks
    26 x 16 (sweet clearance!)
    Kind LEV Integra 150mm dropper
    Fizik Gobi saddle
    RaceFace SixC 785 bars
    Da Bomb Aegis 50mm stem
    XTR m987 brakes
    XT 180/160 rotors
    Honey Badger 2.3 tires (but prob going back to Hans Dampf on front, HB too sketchy)

23 lbs
    Tranny 29'er-wp_20140822_009.jpgTranny 29'er-wp_20140822_011.jpgTranny 29'er-wp_20140822_014.jpgTranny 29'er-wp_20140822_016.jpgTranny 29'er-wp_20140822_019.jpg
    Last edited by MINImtnbiker; 08-23-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    just ride

Whatever
    I'd really love to see Ibis make a Tranny singlespeed thru-axle bolt to replace the derailleur hanger. Just to make the bike look cleaner. But also, it's kind of annoying to have the derailleur hanger move back a bit when trying to thread in the Maxle. Wondering if a SS one wouldn't move as much.
    just ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi Tall Tom. Do you have to take off the crank arms in order to disassemble and travel with the tranny?

mtbr member
    here is my 26 tranny in an S&S machine case. I asked ibis if the new 29r large will fit in the case and Scott replied that it is tight but will work if you like origami.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tranny 29'er-img_0003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Geeze- I know you had to pull off your crank arms in order for the frame to fit in your case, but did you need to pull off the crank arm in order to access the bolt that allowed you to separate the front and back halves. I currently travel with my non ibis s 7 s coupled bike's rear triangle in a regular suitcase allowing me not to worry about rear derailleur, chain, cranks, shifting, etc. I can tell you from experience that a 29er wheel will fit in the S & S machine case, you will need to deflate tires, and can get messy if you are running tubeless...

mtbr member
    ^^ +1.
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

mtbr member
    Geeze- I know you had to pull off your crank arms in order for the frame to fit in your case, but did you need to pull off the crank arm in order to access the bolt that allowed you to separate the front and back halves. I currently travel with my non ibis s 7 s coupled bike's rear triangle in a regular suitcase allowing me not to worry about rear derailleur, chain, cranks, shifting, etc. I can tell you from experience that a 29er wheel will fit in the S & S machine case, you will need to deflate tires, and can get messy if you are running tubeless...
    You can loosen the bolt to adjust SS chain tension without removing the cranks. to remove the bolt it has to come out on the right (chain ring) side. So you may or may not need to remove the cranks (or just chain ring) depending on your configuration if you have a clear window through the chain ring. Look at the ibis tranny gallery. the bolt viewed from the right side has a rectangular seated head. On some pics you can see the bold through the chain ring and you could remove it and leave the cranks or chain ring. 2x or 3x no way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Tranny 29'er

You can loosen the bolt to adjust SS chain tension without removing the cranks. to remove the bolt it has to come out on the right (chain ring) side. So you may or may not need to remove the cranks (or just chain ring) depending on your configuration if you have a clear window through the chain ring. Look at the ibis tranny gallery. the bolt viewed from the right side has a rectangular seated head. On some pics you can see the bold through the chain ring and you could remove it and leave the cranks or chain ring. 2x or 3x no way.
    The new T29 now has a bolt from the non drive side and the rear triangle is easily removed with the cranks on, this is with single ring.
    This pic is with the rear triangle almost completely off.

[muchIMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/30/930bc6dd3456d38bb05f1aa3663071a1.jpg[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    MTBMiles- this is great news.. thanks.

jv

mtbr member
    Any new Tranny's out there? They told me 2 weeks til the black med are back in stock and grey mist are in stock now. I was about to switch my order but the enve fork looks bomb on the matte frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post
    Any new Tranny's out there? They told me 2 weeks til the black med are back in stock and grey mist are in stock now. I was about to switch my order but the enve fork looks bomb on the matte frame.
    That would look ridiculous with the Enve fork. Don't blame you for waiting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Tranny 29'er

The bike has been awesome, handles great, I have had a bunch of personal records riding it. I am looking forward to doing some cross country races.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post

The bike has been awesome, handles great, I have had a bunch of personal records riding it. I am looking forward to doing some cross country races.
    Nice! What size frame is your tranny?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Tranny 29'er

It's a medium.
    I don't really know how to link a thread I started on the Ibis forum, but it is there if you scroll down. The title of the thread is "let the fun begin tranny 29"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

tranny 29er in the s & s machine case

Hey mate, can you confirm that is the 26x10x10 case (the one that keeps the case legal as a suitcase) will fit the 29er wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi I use the soft sided S & S backpack to transport my current 29er all the time. The soft sided case spec is Dimensions: 10 inches Width, 26 inches Length, and 26 inches Height. You have to let the air out of the tires, I have done it with both tubes and tubeless. Here's a Loooong thread but at the end there are some pictures of the bike in the case. a 29er wheel is basically a wider 700c road wheel so if a road wheel fits, so will your 29er wheels. Return of the bilenky

Whatever

Updated Tranny singlespeed build

Updated my Tranny with a new RS-1 and Gates Carbondrive.
    Built it for big technical rides. 1 bottomless token in the RS-1 at ~70psi and it's about perfect. Rides very much like my old Pike, but feels much lighter, climbs better, and is stiffer through rock gardens.

Only issue I have now with belt drive, is I'm running a Hans Dampf and there is so little clearance in the stays that it's really tough to get the wheel back in - almost have to deflate the tire to put it in properly.

Total weight is 22.7 lbs ... that's with KS 150 dropper post, DHF 2.3 front / Hans Dampf rear, XTR 987 brakes, Next SL cranks, SixC bars, Pro Atherton 50mm stem, and I9 rear singlespeed wheel with Derby 35mm rim. Front is Derby 35mm with SRAM hub. I've had about 8 weeks of rides on it and love it. First trip to Fruita this weekend.
    Tranny 29'er-ibis-tranny.jpg
    just ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MINImtnbiker View Post
    Updated my Tranny with a new RS-1 and Gates Carbondrive.
    Built it for big technical rides. 1 bottomless token in the RS-1 at ~70psi and it's about perfect. Rides very much like my old Pike, but feels much lighter, climbs better, and is stiffer through rock gardens.

Only issue I have now with belt drive, is I'm running a Hans Dampf and there is so little clearance in the stays that it's really tough to get the wheel back in - almost have to deflate the tire to put it in properly.

Total weight is 22.7 lbs ... that's with KS 150 dropper post, DHF 2.3 front / Hans Dampf rear, XTR 987 brakes, Next SL cranks, SixC bars, Pro Atherton 50mm stem, and I9 rear singlespeed wheel with Derby 35mm rim. Front is Derby 35mm with SRAM hub. I've had about 8 weeks of rides on it and love it. First trip to Fruita this weekend.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ibis Tranny.jpg 
Views:	1829 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	931461
    Your RS1 is stiffer than a Pike through rock gardens? Torsionally stiffer?

Whatever
    Your RS1 is stiffer than a Pike through rock gardens? Torsionally stiffer?
    I can't measure torsional stiffness while riding, but I can track a better line through the roughest rockiest trail... same trail, only difference was the fork + front wheel.
    just ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hi I use the soft sided S & S backpack to transport my current 29er all the time. The soft sided case spec is Dimensions: 10 inches Width, 26 inches Length, and 26 inches Height. You have to let the air out of the tires, I have done it with both tubes and tubeless. Here's a Loooong thread but at the end there are some pictures of the bike in the case. a 29er wheel is basically a wider 700c road wheel so if a road wheel fits, so will your 29er wheels. Return of the bilenky
    Thanks mate
    that is the exact case I use, so great to know that it will fit...
    great story on that thread as well!

Lightly salted
    For those who own the tranny 29, how would you describe the ride quality? Is it a harsh ride or is there a little give and flex to the rear? I own a small Ros9 with enve am wheels thinking of moving the parts over to a Tranny 29. I would rate my Ros9 with carbon wheels as pretty harsh, wondering how others would compare the Tranny feel to other hardtails they have owned?

Whatever

Ride quality

Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    For those who own the tranny 29, how would you describe the ride quality? Is it a harsh ride or is there a little give and flex to the rear? I own a small Ros9 with enve am wheels thinking of moving the parts over to a Tranny 29. I would rate my Ros9 with carbon wheels as pretty harsh, wondering how others would compare the Tranny feel to other hardtails they have owned?
    I haven't had a steel mtn bike to compare to for a long time. I came to the Tranny from 5 yrs on a Spot Ti, which was a buttery ride but too flexy for belt drive. My Tranny has a 120 fork (51 offset) and 2.3 tires, as well as Derby carbon rims. I've heard the Enve's are really stiff. The ride is typical carbon -- small bumps/rocks at speed are more of a dull thud, but really smooth feeling. I'm not sure it's better or worse than steel, just different. Lighter, really stiff for climbing, easy to manual, etc. Definitely not a harsh ride.
    just ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Tranny 29'er

I came from the 26"Tranny and the Tranny 29 almost felt like a soft tail bike. I am not sure if it is the smaller seat stays with the combination of the bigger wheels with lower tire pressure. It feels stiff and just not as harsh in the rear.
    I just did an 80 mile mtb ride last weekend and loved it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    I came from the 26"Tranny and the Tranny 29 almost felt like a soft tail bike. I am not sure if it is the smaller seat stays with the combination of the bigger wheels with lower tire pressure. It feels stiff and just not as harsh in the rear.
    I just did an 80 mile mtb ride last weekend and loved it.
    Definitely qualities I'm looking for, particularly the long distance abilities. Is that a 120mm Fox, and what dropper? This bike is definitely on the short list for the next bike to complement my HDR 27.5.

mtbr member
    That is a rad bike. I'm jealous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Tranny Transformer

My Tranny 29er is normally a Gates Carbon Drive single speed... but I have a 200 km charity road ride to do tomorrow, so I converted it to a 1x11 light tourer. This really is a do it all bike.
    Tranny 29'er-wp_20141018_004small.jpg
    2017 Nicolai G13
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.9
    2016 Evil The Following

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Tranny 29'er

I might as well add to the "do it all bike". SS drop bar CX bike. I stole Timmy C's bike off the inter webs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Tranny gear ratio question

I just ordered my Tranny 29 unchained. Its my first SS bike and wondering about the Gates 46/28 ratio. Is this a good ratio if I'll be riding some hilly trails?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Is the RS-1 a 51 offset? My Tranny is coming in this week and I have a Pike going on it but curious about that fork.

mtbr member
    I ment to upload a pic when I finished building this thing but got busy riding the piss out of it! Ibis knocked it out of the park!! It has a way better ride then my niner Air9rdo ever did and much snappier! Thanks Ibis!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tranny 29'er-img_0536.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Looks nice! Can you verify which fork you are using and the actual Axle to Crown measurement? The stated ATC heights of the forks on geometry table the Ibis site seem too tall? Any leads on where to purchase the Gates belt setup at a reasonable price? Is that a Med frame? I am 5'7' and looking at the Med frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    Looks nice! Can you verify which fork you are using and the actual Axle to Crown measurement? The stated ATC heights of the forks on geometry table the Ibis site seem too tall? Any leads on where to purchase the Gates belt setup at a reasonable price? Is that a Med frame? I am 5'7' and looking at the Med frame.
    Its a SID 100mm with a 44mm rake, I think thats the standard on all older 100mm forks. It seem to be fine. It is a Med and I'm 5'8" it fits perfect. Not sure about the gates belt drive, I'm running a chained single speed. I did have a gnarly creak form while in the desert but it turned out to be the rear dropout bolt loosening up... easy fix

Lightly salted
    This just showed up at my door! I got to get busy building!

Small -marine layer,

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

SS Gates

First time I ever rode a SS was today on my new Tranny. Pike, dropper and Next SL / gates. Fun bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tranny 29'er-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    What version of the Pike are you running 100 or 120mm and do you know the offset/ ATC measurement of your fork?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Its a Pike 140 taken down to 120 and a 51 offset which Ibis recommends. Fork is heavier than the Fox 32 but was offered at same price by my shop so I went for it. I have that fork on my Ripley at 130 and love it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by seking View Post
    Its a Pike 140 taken down to 120 and a 51 offset which Ibis recommends. Fork is heavier than the Fox 32 but was offered at same price by my shop so I went for it. I have that fork on my Ripley at 130 and love it.
    I am debating weather to go 120 or 100 in the fork. I like the idea of a lower BB with 100. When you get a chance can you measure the ATC height of your lowered pike? Courious how that matches up to the 520 spec'd by Ibis ( based on the Fox). I have a feeling the pike may be 7 mm taller or shorter than the target 520 or 500 Ibis spec.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Mine is closer to 530. It just depends on where you ride I think. Mine is set up they way Scot Nicol recommended fyi. I've only ridden it twice so far but that fork feels perfect for the bike to me. Its very plush but also stiff which is great for standing on the climbs which is necessary on my SS setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've got a special blend on order. Does anyone know whether a complete bike comes with the cable port blanks as well the front dérailleur mount cover? I'm planning on converting to a one by setup. Btw, competitive cyclist is offering the special blend with the fox fork instead of the x fusion. I couldn't pass up the deal they offered.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eonicks View Post
    I've got a special blend on order. Does anyone know whether a complete bike comes with the cable port blanks as well the front dérailleur mount cover? I'm planning on converting to a one by setup. Btw, competitive cyclist is offering the special blend with the fox fork instead of the x fusion. I couldn't pass up the deal they offered.
    Tom from Ibis replying. The bike does not come with the cable port blanks. They will be available on our webstore, and/or you can ask your LOBS to order them for you.

Take Care,
    Tom
    Tom Morgan
    Ibis Cycles Inc.
    ibiscycles.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast