Thread: Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Tranny 29

When can we start speculating about this? I have no insider information, but you have to believe they would sell like hotcakes. I'd put a deposit down right now on the bike I assume they are making. We've all see the cardboard box that says "T29" on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It seems that every time a Tranny question comes up, most people usually don't respond. So here I go.
    I've seen this question brought up a few times within the past couple of years with no real results from any of the big players. Personally, I would like a 650b version, but I would be perfectly happy with a 26 in the rear and a 650b in the front, ensuring proper suspension to account for the geometry change. I don't think Ibis is ready for a new model within the next couple of years. The Ripley is taken off wonderfully, and I am sure we would see some refinements of the Ripley in the next couple of years before Ibis comes out with a new model like a hard-tail 29er or 650b. I am sure Ibis is trying to limit their product line to eleminate additional costs with maintaining multiple products. I hope this helps.
    Ride, crash, ride again.

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Im looking for a XC bike too and a Tranny 29er could be an option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    It seems that every time a Tranny question comes up, most people usually don't respond. So here I go.
    I've seen this question brought up a few times within the past couple of years with no real results from any of the big players. Personally, I would like a 650b version, but I would be perfectly happy with a 26 in the rear and a 650b in the front, ensuring proper suspension to account for the geometry change. I don't think Ibis is ready for a new model within the next couple of years. The Ripley is taken off wonderfully, and I am sure we would see some refinements of the Ripley in the next couple of years before Ibis comes out with a new model like a hard-tail 29er or 650b. I am sure Ibis is trying to limit their product line to eleminate additional costs with maintaining multiple products. I hope this helps.
    I'm not sure I follow your logic. There are no additional costs associated with maintaining multiple products if those products sell well. I think Ibis's limited product line is just a product of their R&D manpower. The nice thing about hardtails is that they likely require less R&D (like cyclocross bikes).

Edit: They've also suggested that there are more bikes in the pipeline, and we've all seen the photo of the box that says "T29" among other known Ibis models.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I do hope Ibis proves me wrong and comes out with a 29er soon. You are right, although there may not be any additional costs associated with mulitiple product lines, I am sure there are some concerns about coming out with another hard-tail. Take a look at the forum and count how many Tranny posts there are compared to the others. Just sayin'.
    Ride, crash, ride again.

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    I do hope Ibis proves me wrong and comes out with a 29er soon. You are right, although there may not be any additional costs associated with mulitiple product lines, I am sure there are some concerns about coming out with another hard-tail. Take a look at the forum and count how many Tranny posts there are compared to the others. Just sayin'.
    That's because no one rides 26" hardtails anymore

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Right you are.
    Ride, crash, ride again.

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I asked this on the New Ibis thread, but I think it got lost in the chat about the actual bike launched.

Anyone know whether a 29er Tranny would need Ibis to design a whole new frame, or (given that the Ripley mule was a hacked-about Tranny front triangle) would a new rear triangle work without horribly compromising the geometry?

That's because no one rides 26" hardtails anymore
    I do, but my next bike will be a 29er...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tranny 29

I would seriously doubt that they would try to get by with the same front end. I think there would be too many compromises for a 29er. They may be able to do it for a 650b but ibis isn't the type of company to compromise the handling and fit of a bike to rush something to market.

meh
    there will be a tranny29, its been sleuthed out....just a matter of when, not if

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    there will be a tranny29, its been sleuthed out....just a matter of when, not if
    I'm looking forward to seeing it. Anyone got any spy pics etc?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I want a 29er Tranny! My special blend Mojo SL is fantastic, love it, just feels tiny after rolling on my cheap rigid SS 29er (Dawes DeadEye). Also, primarily racing/training right now and the guys that are winning are all on HT 29s.