Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Tranny 29

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,801

    Tranny 29

    When can we start speculating about this? I have no insider information, but you have to believe they would sell like hotcakes. I'd put a deposit down right now on the bike I assume they are making. We've all see the cardboard box that says "T29" on it.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    75
    It seems that every time a Tranny question comes up, most people usually don't respond. So here I go.
    I've seen this question brought up a few times within the past couple of years with no real results from any of the big players. Personally, I would like a 650b version, but I would be perfectly happy with a 26 in the rear and a 650b in the front, ensuring proper suspension to account for the geometry change. I don't think Ibis is ready for a new model within the next couple of years. The Ripley is taken off wonderfully, and I am sure we would see some refinements of the Ripley in the next couple of years before Ibis comes out with a new model like a hard-tail 29er or 650b. I am sure Ibis is trying to limit their product line to eleminate additional costs with maintaining multiple products. I hope this helps.
    Ride, crash, ride again.

    Happy Trails

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    980
    Im looking for a XC bike too and a Tranny 29er could be an option.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    It seems that every time a Tranny question comes up, most people usually don't respond. So here I go.
    I've seen this question brought up a few times within the past couple of years with no real results from any of the big players. Personally, I would like a 650b version, but I would be perfectly happy with a 26 in the rear and a 650b in the front, ensuring proper suspension to account for the geometry change. I don't think Ibis is ready for a new model within the next couple of years. The Ripley is taken off wonderfully, and I am sure we would see some refinements of the Ripley in the next couple of years before Ibis comes out with a new model like a hard-tail 29er or 650b. I am sure Ibis is trying to limit their product line to eleminate additional costs with maintaining multiple products. I hope this helps.
    I'm not sure I follow your logic. There are no additional costs associated with maintaining multiple products if those products sell well. I think Ibis's limited product line is just a product of their R&D manpower. The nice thing about hardtails is that they likely require less R&D (like cyclocross bikes).

    Edit: They've also suggested that there are more bikes in the pipeline, and we've all seen the photo of the box that says "T29" among other known Ibis models.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    75
    I do hope Ibis proves me wrong and comes out with a 29er soon. You are right, although there may not be any additional costs associated with mulitiple product lines, I am sure there are some concerns about coming out with another hard-tail. Take a look at the forum and count how many Tranny posts there are compared to the others. Just sayin'.
    Ride, crash, ride again.

    Happy Trails

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    I do hope Ibis proves me wrong and comes out with a 29er soon. You are right, although there may not be any additional costs associated with mulitiple product lines, I am sure there are some concerns about coming out with another hard-tail. Take a look at the forum and count how many Tranny posts there are compared to the others. Just sayin'.
    That's because no one rides 26" hardtails anymore

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    75
    Right you are.
    Ride, crash, ride again.

    Happy Trails

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    214
    I asked this on the New Ibis thread, but I think it got lost in the chat about the actual bike launched.

    Anyone know whether a 29er Tranny would need Ibis to design a whole new frame, or (given that the Ripley mule was a hacked-about Tranny front triangle) would a new rear triangle work without horribly compromising the geometry?

    That's because no one rides 26" hardtails anymore
    I do, but my next bike will be a 29er...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    922

    Tranny 29

    I would seriously doubt that they would try to get by with the same front end. I think there would be too many compromises for a 29er. They may be able to do it for a 650b but ibis isn't the type of company to compromise the handling and fit of a bike to rush something to market.

  10. #10
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,075
    there will be a tranny29, its been sleuthed out....just a matter of when, not if

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    there will be a tranny29, its been sleuthed out....just a matter of when, not if
    I'm looking forward to seeing it. Anyone got any spy pics etc?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    75
    I want a 29er Tranny! My special blend Mojo SL is fantastic, love it, just feels tiny after rolling on my cheap rigid SS 29er (Dawes DeadEye). Also, primarily racing/training right now and the guys that are winning are all on HT 29s.

Similar Threads

  1. 29er Tranny
    By Loudpawlz in forum Ibis
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM
  2. Blown Tranny...
    By GrampasShop in forum Passion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 12:48 PM
  3. Tranny and Angleset
    By straw in forum Ibis
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 09:09 AM
  4. All Mtn. Tranny?
    By weaver84 in forum Ibis
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 09:21 PM
  5. 69 with a Tranny
    By kiwisimon in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 08:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •