mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Titanium Skewers

Anyone using ti skewers on their mojo?

Someone told my friend here that you can't use ti skewers on a full suss. I reckon that's bullsh*t.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ti

My light road ones came with instructions that said not to use them on MTB FWIW.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

www.derbyrims.com
    I called American Classic tech support about their relatively inexpensive MTB Ti skewers to see if they had a weight limit for a 5.5 inch travel bike. I told them my weight and rough trail use. They said 230 lb limit - so no problem for my 200 lbs.

I've been using the same Salsa Ti skewers in the front for probably 5 years, but steel in the rear axle due to Salsa recommendations back then. They were pretty beat up on the surface and needed replacement.

You should check with your manufacturer. Ti is supposed to snap from fatigue easier than steel. But the quality of Ti used by the manufacturers may make the weight limit difference too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm Stainless better option, I think.

For example, some of the best respected skewers around:

http://www.salsacycles.com/skewers.html

"Stainless steel for front and full-suspension or Titanium rod for road or rigid mtn only"

I've heard that titanium isn't the best choice of QR material for suspension frames... The additional flex associated with suspension design tends to benefit from a stiffer material holding things together at critical anchor points, like the wheels.

Keep Riding !!

Kore Ti

I have Kore Ti skewers on my XL Mojo, which I've had for about 12 Months with no problems, I'm about 190 lbs.

However I had the same skewer on the front (rear has KC Fun Bolts) of my rigid single speed (Airborne Ti Hag) and couldn't do them up tight enough and now use a XTR skewer
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Hope I'll eat my hat

Cheers chaps, I stand corrected, there obviously is some truth in it.

I've apologised to my good friend for being such a sceptic and promise not to be so judgemental in future.

Isn't life wonderful? I feel blessed to be given the opportunity to learn and grow, to grow and to learn Thankyou my fellow Ibisians. (I still don't know how to pronounce that, It stumps me every time!)

Maybe I just been stuck in this freekin desert to long

MTBR Contributing Editor
    I have been using a pair of control tech bolt on ti skewers for a decade and nary a problem. The hex head is showing years of use and getting a bit worn but they are still running. They have been on a susy for about 3 years and were on a hardtail for 7 before that. I am not the biggest person and I ride with a light touch but I can say that the ones I have used have been fine.

Like Derby said, use some caution with anything and I mean anything, here is what I state on my website:

Disclaimer
    The author takes no responsibility for the parts, reviews, techniques and methods shown and mentioned on gramslightbikes.com, this site it is for informational purposes only. Please follow all manufacturers' warnings and recommendations.

TranceX Rider
    That's cool, Gram! A decade old already! Mine's just turned a year a couple weeks back, I think... Yes, no problems or concerns whatsoever! Good as the first day I've installed 'em on my full squishy!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    My light road ones came with instructions that said not to use them on MTB FWIW.

H
    Hey Hans, or anyone for that matter...

...excuse my ignorance, but what does FWIW stand for?

I think I can figure out, MTB

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bykingcnut
    Hey Hans, or anyone for that matter...

...excuse my ignorance, but what does FWIW stand for?

I think I can figure out, MTB
    FWIW - For what it's worth