Dropshot Champ!

Tis' the season - check those bearings!

Ibis mojo classic here. I really don't mind doing the lower link bearings that often, but this time it was a challenge.

I've been replacing the lower link rear bearings 4-5:1 vs the other bearings. The lower link front bearings go every other time I do the lower link rears. For example, they're slightly notchy right now, but not falling apart...so regrease it is!

But these tiny lower link rear bearings just don't like the sand, mud, rain, snow that gets in there during a northern california winter. I had this problem on a different dw-link brand bike too. The impressive stat here is that these lower link rears were replaced on November 1st (enduro bearings), so just over 4 months on them.

Tis' the season - check those bearings!-487876_661388777220717_432834134_n.jpg

Tis' the season - check those bearings!-390487_664686676890927_1888913386_n.jpg

As you can see, the bearing is absolutely toast. Most of the ball bearings fell out when I removed the lower link from the frame. The challenge became, how the heck do you get the outer race out of the lower link? Because of the grooved edge on the inside, only about a third of the race is shown.

Tis' the season - check those bearings!-164199_664824626877132_1925982626_n.jpg

While a normal bearing swap usually only takes a few minutes, this took a few hours. Finally got it out with a punch and got the new ones in. I went with EnduroMax this time, so we'll see if that yields some better results.

So now that winter is mostly over (for california at least), pop those links off and give those bearings a check. If they're shot, it's an easy five minute job and the bearings are only 1-2 bucks a piece.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nasty......just wondering if you wash your bike alot during the winter? I have a similar riding terrain and get a lot of sand, clay and mud over the winter as well. I try not to wash the bike too much as I find it seems to get water in where it's not welcome. When I do wash it, I try to use a cloth and try not to spray the bike too much with the hose.

Also, where's a good place to purchase bearings online? I just know about the one that ibis has linked on their website.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Another note...I have had the Ti Bolt seized to the inner race on my link bearing. Had to hammer the crap out of it to break it loose. I now use anti-seize on the bolt.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Nasty......just wondering if you wash your bike alot during the winter?

Also, where's a good place to purchase bearings online? I just know about the one that ibis has linked on their website.

I don't think I've ever washed this bike. Clean/lube drivetrain, wipedown/lube fork/shock. Good to go!

I just called around local bike shops until I found what I needed. Shipping on 2 tiny bearings isn't really worth it.

mtbr member

And don't forget about you seat posts :)

Pull them out and re grease before it's too late
    milesW

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Buy goods ones, and they will last longer. I wash my bike with a hose, full pressure, all winter. No issues.

ENDURO MAX BEARINGS: ULTIMATE SUSPENSION PIVOT BEARINGS!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I wash my mojo/c every after ride mine is 09 model and haven't replaced any bearing and all of it are still good.

Dropshot Champ!
    I've used enduro max before and thats what is in there now.

Still get trashed after awhile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I just replaced my bearings after two seasons. The lower link was "notchy" but the others seemed fine. Still, it wasn't much more $ to do them all. I figured out a few ways to press them out of the links, but I'm wondering how the crowd here removed and installs the link bearings? I'm always open to finding a better way.

Dropshot Champ!
    socket + hammer.

beer.

mtbr member
    I just pulled the trigger on enduro bearings for my HD. Gonna refresh this ol 2011 frame. New linkage bearings, a lower RWC needle shock bearing, new headset bearings

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    how do you remove the bearings. i thought it was fixed? any tips?

Dropshot Champ!
    drink a good beer.

Then break out a hammer. Some use a rubber mallet, but a big ass hammer works better.

Then find a socket that will absolutely ruin the bearing. Hammer until out

At this point, you'll want to grab beer number 2, because all that hammering made you thirsty.

While you can use a smaller socket to bang out the bearings...with no regard for the seal or the race...a larger outer diamter sized socket is best for putting them back in.

It's really easy. Take probably 15mins to unbreak the blue loctite and get the damn bolts undone, remove old bearings and hammer in new ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    which way do i pound? it looks like it'll only go out 1 way.

us guys here in hawaii drink 1 beer, then drink another and another then it''ll turn into a 12 pack, then i'll start the grill, cook me up some steaks. couple of crown shots later, i forget what i was suppose to do...so i think i'll wait after i do it. great idea tho!

thanks!

Dropshot Champ!
    inside to out.

If you can't really see it by looking at it, take it to a local shop. Should be cheap and they'll use a bearing puller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on enduro bearings for my HD. Gonna refresh this ol 2011 frame. New linkage bearings, a lower RWC needle shock bearing, new headset bearings
    Let me know how the enduro linkage bearings work. I normally just replace the entire link set up, much quicker than changing bearings. I was also using the needle bearings on my shock, but they all developed play. Problem with those things is that they don't fix what is not broken on the HD. The HD has so little pivot movement there on either end, the needle bearings end up being a liability.

Lightly salted
    I just replaced all 8 bearings last week on my HD with enduro max bearings. I had never done it before and it only toke maybe 35-40 minutes from start to finish and at only a fraction of the price of buying the both links with bearings pre-installed. Paid something like $44 for 8 enduro max bearings with shipping from RWC. I thought my original bearings were in good condition until I actually tried to move them by hand. They were jacked, all 8 needed replacing. I've had the HD for around a year and a half. Never pressure or even hose washed, just wiped down with wet rag, but I did ride a lot of mud this past winter.

Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Let me know how the enduro linkage bearings work. I normally just replace the entire link set up, much quicker than changing bearings. I was also using the needle bearings on my shock, but they all developed play. Problem with those things is that they don't fix what is not broken on the HD. The HD has so little pivot movement there on either end, the needle bearings end up being a liability.

MPI
    mtbr member
    I did same as above + headset lower bearing (CC 110) which last about one season. Most of linkage bearings was jacked. My HD frame is 2010 (from first XL-series). I have checked and greased the linkage bearings before and now is the first time to replace them. CCs lower bearing have to be replaced every season.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives