mtbr member
    May 2011

Tire advice for HD in Colorodo

I live in Vail, CO and ride an HD. Out here it's dry sandy, rocky and loose. There is some rooty soil in the pines, too. I also ride moab and fruita quite a bit.

I run my tires tubless. I ripped huge holes in the sidewalls of my stock mutanos within the first few rides. (I've got tubes in em now.)

So: I need a good tire for my area that WON'T rip easily. I'm especially interested in WTB because I get a good deal with them.

Thanks

(Oh yeah, I ride AM and a little bit of lift service. Planning on racing x-country on the bike but im not much of a weight weenie)

mtbr member
    I'm in NM, similar trail conditions. I really like Schwalbe fat alberts but price and availability made me switch to Continental trail kings. I'm happy with how well the trail kings hook up and for a UST tire they are not overly heavy. I'm running the 2.2 which is a pretty big tire.

mtbr member
    i run conti diesel 2.5 front/conti mnt king 2.4 rear. both non ust run tubeless. no complains but i really do want to try specialized tires next. butcher front/not sure rear. i ride mostly front range trails.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by circlesuponcircles View Post
    I live in Vail, CO and ride an HD. Out here it's dry sandy, rocky and loose. There is some rooty soil in the pines, too. I also ride moab and fruita quite a bit.

I run my tires tubless. I ripped huge holes in the sidewalls of my stock mutanos within the first few rides. (I've got tubes in em now.)

So: I need a good tire for my area that WON'T rip easily. I'm especially interested in WTB because I get a good deal with them.

Thanks

(Oh yeah, I ride AM and a little bit of lift service. Planning on racing x-country on the bike but im not much of a weight weenie)
    I'm in CO too ride the exact same stuff. Hard to go wrong with the Minion 2.5 EXO up front. Reliable performance in all conditions, reasonable weight, EXO sidewalls are tough, etc. On my other bike I run a Spesh Purgatory 2.4 up front and like that tire too.

For the rear I think the High Roller EXO is an easy choice.

I'm not a big WTB fan - every WTB I ran out here I've either gotten low tread life or soft sidewalls. I'd rather carry extra weight in my tires in exchange for great handling and less breakdowns - it seems I'm the minority with this train of thoughts these days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    i run conti diesel 2.5 front/conti mnt king 2.4 rear. both non ust run tubeless. no complains but i really do want to try specialized tires next. butcher front/not sure rear. i ride mostly front range trails.
    I like the Conti diesel 2.5 as a front tyre but I recently ripped the sidewall. Probabley because it was over 2 years old and the sealant had weakened the sidewall and made the bead rust. I'm now running a Specialized Purgatory control 2.4. It seems to be very grippy and handles rocks pretty good. For a rear tyre I'm running a Maxxis Crossmark 2.25 lust. It has very thick sidewalls, I think it would be very hard to damage them. So any of the Maxxis tyres with lust should be good as long as they have enough volume.

mtbr member
    I'm heading out to Fruita tomorrow with my HD, and I'll be running Ardents setup tubeless. On my previous trips (on my old 5-Spot) I ran Exiwolfs and Kendas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ardents are a nice big volume tyre but unless it is a lust version the sidewalls are to thin if there are alot of sharp rocks around. I have put a couple of rips in one on the rear in terrain that I didn't think was that rocky.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    2.3 Specialized Butcher Control: Lightweight Minion clone that is fully tubeless ready. Sidewalls seem a bit thin but I haven't ripped on yet although I know its coming. Easily my favorite tire after trying almost everything out there in this category.

2.3 Specialized Butcher SX: Heavy and fairly soft compound = slow, but great sidewalls and sets up tubeless with no problems.

2.35 Schwalbe Hans Dampf: Good weight, great sidewall, tubeless ready. Not quite the tire the Butcher is for cornering but its a good compromise although they wear real fast out here in rocky CO.

I tend to favor tires with more cornering ability and technical climbing traction vs tires that are fast rollers. Obviously if that is your priority then you should look at something else.

mtbr member
    I think the important thing is to get true UST or other very thick sidewalls.

I also have trail king 2.2 ust front and back and have been very happy, and the weight is not too bad. Tire pressure changes the feel alot, 25 is sticky and slower, 27.5 rear is faster with minimal loss of traction, but I can feel the loss of small bump comiance.

I am in Arizona, riding similar tire abusing rocks

mtbr member
    Weirwolf 2.3 has been the best tire ive ever ridden in loose rocky terrain, hands down. Minionss are great but the blocky tread has not worked as good for me in these specific cinditions.

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Squib38 View Post
    2.3 Specialized Butcher Control: Lightweight Minion clone that is fully tubeless ready. Sidewalls seem a bit thin but I haven't ripped on yet although I know its coming. Easily my favorite tire after trying almost everything out there in this category.

2.3 Specialized Butcher SX: Heavy and fairly soft compound = slow, but great sidewalls and sets up tubeless with no problems.
    Just a fair warning to the OP on the Butchers...

I myself, and two of the other guys in my riding crew have destroyed the sidewalls on SX-cased Butchers (all 2.3). Old saying goes... "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice..." but three times (3 different riders, 3 different bikes)??!

To be fair, it's an absolutely phenomenal tire and it's great for the conditions that you're describing, but like I said... fair warning.
    :: wrenchscience ::

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    I have trail king 2.2 ust front and back and have been very happy, and the weight is not too bad.
    How much do they weight ?
    I've got a TK 2.4 at 940g up front (mounted tubeless that came with bike but don't think UST) that I like (especially on sandy parts) but it's a lot of tire, and gotten 2 separate TK 2.2 (at 650g blackChili) that just won't seal their sidewalls so I had to return them (the 300g weight saving (!) is mostly wasted if I have to run tubes vs what I have now working)

Dropshot Champ!
    tk 2.2 is like 800+ for ust. And the sidewall is still squirmy. Glad you returned the others. They're GREAT tires, but not tubeless.

The butcher is a fantastic tire as well, but the one I had was like 1350g. Felt like my brake was dragging.

I understand weight isn't an issue to alot of folks, but thats a 3lb tire.

+1 on bronson or weirwolf 2.3 tcs. Still kinda heavy but it does nicely and tcs sidewalls are pretty solid.

youenjoymyself
    I love the Schwalbe Hans Dampf on my HD out here. The trailstar version will wear very fast as a rear, but I just ordered a pacestar version and will be putting it on the rear as I understand that it is a more durable compound. the trailstar on the front still looks good. the price is a bit tough to swallow, however.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Given than Conti Black Chilli rubber will outlast other tires by a factor of four, it doesn't really matter how good a deal you get on the other tires; you'll still be better off in the long run by buying Conti.

If big volume is key the Trail King/Rubber Queen in 2.4 is a standout tire. Apex sidewalls are TOUGH; tread hooks up on everything and it rolls fast. Depending on the year of your HD; the 2.4 may be too big to fit in the rear (it may rub on the seat tube at full travel). The 2.2 isn't quite as awesome a tire as the 2.4, though. And by all means don't waste your money on the non Black Chili version (even though it's much cheaper) as the real magic is in the compound.

I'm running Conti Baron 2.3s on my HD. I've run since last year (on a IH 6 Point) and transferred them over to the HD. They're super predictable; awesome grip; from Moab to high country to the lifts and the Front Range. Tough sidewalls; great flat resistance. Both tires came in below advertised weight (may have been my luck). Much smaller tires than the 2.4 RQs but I've learned to love 'em all the same.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho