mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Time for new Rear Derailleur. Which X9?

Riding along the trail Saturday I was getting lots of dropped chain and ghost shifting on my usually reliable Mojo. 2 miles in I stopped to take a look and immediately saw the slack chain between the RD and the chainring. My X9 RD tension spring had unseated somehow and the cage was hanging limp. I hate it when that happens.

Tried to reset the spring for about 20 minutes trailside, but I ended up limping back to the truck to wait for the rest of my ride buddies to finish the loop.

The LBS says SRAM may replace my derailleur. I let them know that I might be interested in upgrading it to the new Type II X9.

Anyone have experience with the SRAM Type II derailleurs? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

mtbr member

One ride in

I have one ride on mine and it worked very well to keep my chain on under some VERY rocky conditions. One ride is a poor measure if success, but is what I can offer. I did find it to be a bit more finicky to set up than other drive trains. I am not sure if this is a function of 10 speed or Type 2 (it was my first time setting up either), but getting to the lowest gear was very difficult, almost like it was over limited from the factory. It seems to be getting easier to **** into the largest cog now but for a while I was worried and am still leery of it. Iíll keep an eye on it and may wind up moving to the XT shadow plus set up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just fitted a XO Type 2 to my SLR. I am running 2x10 (22-36) on an XL frame (not sure this matters). I ordered a Medium cage but it is too short. Unless you are CERTAIN the medium will work, get the long cage. X9 is much better value than XO too for the RD

M

Kaj
    mtbr member
    go type II, don't look back
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member

Long vs Med cage

Quote Originally Posted by Trashcanmike View Post
    Just fitted a XO Type 2 to my SLR. I am running 2x10 (22-36) on an XL frame (not sure this matters). I ordered a Medium cage but it is too short. Unless you are CERTAIN the medium will work, get the long cage. X9 is much better value than XO too for the RD

M
    Is it the cage length that is throwing off the low speed shifting for me? It kind of sucks to learn this now but I am glad to know it...I guess...sort of

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    What he said!!! Got a type II on my new HD and love it!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hrsjqb1 View Post
    Is it the cage length that is throwing off the low speed shifting for me? It kind of sucks to learn this now but I am glad to know it...I guess...sort of
    That I don't know. It works great but some gear combos can't be used until I get the long cage

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    Anyone know or can confirm we can use the Type 2 with 3x Shimano in front?
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    FWIW I've had way too many durability issues with x9 derailleurs to recommend them at all. I've owned 4 of them and they all developed play in the (non-replaceable) bushings, and then shifting got really sloppy. Granted I've banged them all up a bit, but just real life use.

It sucks that the shimano rear der's don't work with the sram shifter, because shimano's more out of the way "shadow" design, combined with reported better durability make it a better choice IMO (xt or xtr with clutch).

But if you stay with sram, i'd go for the more rebuildable and durable XO, type 2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    getbusy... Which generation of X9 have you had the problems with? The jockey wheels in my last 2 x9 RD's rode on sealed cartridge bearings. Am I thinking of something different from what your are describing?

mtbr member
    Well, I'm on my 4th one, so it's been pretty much one per year, and the same issues with different generations. The last one i wore out was less than a year old, purchased in 2011. All 9 spd.

It develops lateral play, mostly at the main/largest pivot, but a bit in the other pivots as well, and when you add it all up, all the play makes for very sloppy shifting.

Only reason I kept going back to x9 is because i have sram shifters, and you can usually find good deals on x9 ders. But I've finally had enough...replacing shifters and der with shimano. On the bright side i like the sram shifting, when it's new...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving View Post
    Well, I'm on my 4th one, so it's been pretty much one per year, and the same issues with different generations. The last one i wore out was less than a year old, purchased in 2011. All 9 spd.

It develops lateral play, mostly at the main/largest pivot, but a bit in the other pivots as well, and when you add it all up, all the play makes for very sloppy shifting.

Only reason I kept going back to x9 is because i have sram shifters, and you can usually find good deals on x9 ders. But I've finally had enough...replacing shifters and der with shimano. On the bright side i like the sram shifting, when it's new...
    Can pretty much confirm this true, my x9s always develop massive amounts of slop in the pivots. It doesn't happen overnight or anything and I still stick with SRAM. I've been pretty pleased with my latest x9 10spd short cage.
    Last edited by PhoS; 09-05-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Too Much Fun

Go with XO

Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving View Post
    But if you stay with sram, i'd go for the more rebuildable and durable XO, type 2.
    I've been really happy with SRAM XO shifting for years now. I love the way it feels and the reliability has been tops for me. And the rebuild-ability of the XO line has saved me 2x.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_lvr View Post
    Riding along the trail Saturday I was getting lots of dropped chain and ghost shifting on my usually reliable Mojo. 2 miles in I stopped to take a look and immediately saw the slack chain between the RD and the chainring. My X9 RD tension spring had unseated somehow and the cage was hanging limp. I hate it when that happens.

Tried to reset the spring for about 20 minutes trailside, but I ended up limping back to the truck to wait for the rest of my ride buddies to finish the loop.

The LBS says SRAM may replace my derailleur. I let them know that I might be interested in upgrading it to the new Type II X9.

Anyone have experience with the SRAM Type II derailleurs? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?
    I had the same thing happen. I got home and took it apart and was able to successfully reseat the spring. Voila! Good as new. Don't give up on it just yet. Unless you are looking for a good excuse to go to a Type II.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The RD is with the dealer who is calling SRAM for me. I hope to know an outcome this week. For now, I'm running an older X9 on the Mojo. I'd like to go type II if its an option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Talked with the shop today. SRAM is sending a replacement. Not a type II but they are backing their product and I am happy with the solution.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Trashcanmike View Post

M
    Could you share your cassette range as well? I'm about to order MEDIUM for 22-33 front - 2x10 with 11-36 in the back. Was pretty sure this cage will handle it with ease...

Thanks in advance.

OT of SRAM reliability - no play or any signs of wear after almost 2 full seasons of shredding the 2011 X-9 set. My RD is scratched and beaten quite hard, but the shifting remained very accurate. Very happy customer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by m1sha View Post
    Could you share your cassette range as well? I'm about to order MEDIUM for 22-33 front - 2x10 with 11-36 in the back. Was pretty sure this cage will handle it with ease...

Thanks in advance.

OT of SRAM reliability - no play or any signs of wear after almost 2 full seasons of shredding the 2011 X-9 set. My RD is scratched and beaten quite hard, but the shifting remained very accurate. Very happy customer.
    11-36. You might get away with it with 22-33. Having said that - I am already missing a bigger ring than 36 so I really wonder whether 33 is such a good idea as your biggest....
    What make is the crank/rings - SRAM don't make that combo??

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by m1sha View Post

Thanks in advance.

I'm on Shimano, but I'm going to assume SRAM works about the same in terms of gear range. I find you are getting some very bizzare recommendations here, I'd say go spend some time in the "everything drivetrain" forum before making any decisions.

I've been running a 32-26 front for 4 years, with an 11-34 in the rear, and a short cage derailleur. The only gear range I can't access is the small-small combo, which you shouldn't be using anyways. The derailleur is there primarily to switch the gears (duh!) and take up the slack on the chain as you run through the small cogs and rings. A shorter derailleur will work with large rings no problem, you just need to ensure you have enough chain length so that as you cycle through your suspension the chain doesn't "max out". What a shorter cage can't do is take up all the slack of the chain when you're in small-small.

I would say you're golden with a medium cage derailleur, you may even be able to get a short cage on there if you're willing to give up a few gear combos (small-small). But a long-cage would be ridiculous. (long cage are spec'd on triple ring setups where there is a possibility of cross-chaining in the small-smal combo because they need to run really long chains to be in the big-big combo)

If you still don't believe me about the short cage, think of this: DHers pretty much strictly run short cage derailleurs and typically run 38t rings with 11-32 or 11-34 cassettes. "Freeride" bikes typically come spec'd that way.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.