mtbr member

Thinking of lowering my 180 fork to 160 for HD160

I have a 2011 Flat 180 36 RC2 FIT fork and CC Angleset on my HD160. I use my bike mainly as an AM bike but also us it for FR and DH. 90% of the time I'm using it for technical AM and don't come close to using all of the travel even when I hit the bigger stuff. On the days I do ride FR/DH and my current riding level I still don't use all of the travel. I have a CC DBAir and a 1x9 setup with a 32 chainring and 11-34 cassette. I'm hoping to make the bike a bit of a better climber without going to a dual ring setup. It seems that I have a hard time keeping the front end down while climbing even when I lean forward. I like my bikes to have a bit of "pop" to them and the "flickable" factor while not being sluggish in handling. So here are my questions:

Would I benefit by lowering the fork to 160 and setting the headset to -1 giving me a head angle of 66 degrees? I'm thinking I could lower the BB hight and decrease the rake giving me better climbing but still retaining good DH control with the 66 HA. Am I correct in my thinking?

Would I see a big decrease in FR/DH ability?

Would it affect my rear shock pressure settings by decreasing the rake and decreasing the amount of pressure on the DBAir?

What other handling characteristics changes might I expect by lowering the fork?

Any advice and riding experiences would be greatly appreciated; Thanks.
    Trust the Dummy....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Dummy View Post
    I have a 2011 Flat 180 36 RC2 FIT fork and CC Angleset on my HD160. I use my bike mainly as an AM bike but also us it for FR and DH. 90% of the time I'm using it for technical AM and don't come close to using all of the travel even when I hit the bigger stuff. On the days I do ride FR/DH and my current riding level I still don't use all of the travel. I have a CC DBAir and a 1x9 setup with a 32 chainring and 11-34 cassette. I'm hoping to make the bike a bit of a better climber without going to a dual ring setup. It seems that I have a hard time keeping the front end down while climbing even when I lean forward. I like my bikes to have a bit of "pop" to them and the "flickable" factor while not being sluggish in handling. So here are my questions:

Would I benefit by lowering the fork to 160 and setting the headset to -1 giving me a head angle of 66 degrees? I'm thinking I could lower the BB hight and decrease the rake giving me better climbing but still retaining good DH control with the 66 HA. Am I correct in my thinking?

Would I see a big decrease in FR/DH ability?

Would it affect my rear shock pressure settings by decreasing the rake and decreasing the amount of pressure on the DBAir?

What other handling characteristics changes might I expect by lowering the fork?

Any advice and riding experiences would be greatly appreciated; Thanks.
    I had a similar setup and went back to a 160 fork up front. I was running a float 180 spaced down to 170 with -1 angleset. I had it at 180 originally but the bike felt too tall so I lowered it to 170.

I went back to 160 to save some weight, lower the bb, and have the bike a little easier to climb with. The bike handles quicker because of the low bb and climbs better as well. Since the bike is not as slack as the 180/170 setup the bike doesnt handle as well as it did on steeper trails and high speed chunk. If you ride a lot of steep trails and are more into DH/FR stick to the 180. If you do both try lowering the fork to 170 It's a nice compromise.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to try 160mm for a while since I have about 170 miles on my current setup. Going from one end of the spectrum to the other side should show its advantages and disadvantages pretty quick. Then maybe I'll try the 170mm setting. The spacers aren't much so its not a big deal. Maybe having the fork set at 160mm will force me to improve my riding skills since I won't have as much travel and I'll have to train on being smooth.
    Trust the Dummy....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm thinking of doing the same. Currnetly on a 180 TALAS and run most of the time in 150 mode. Thinking of just going to 160 to simplify things.

Team Sanchez
    If you have the means, get rid of that Float and get a 36 Talas 180. 70% of the time I leave my fork in the 140mm setting, even for mellower downhills with berms and tables. But it is sure nice to pop it back up to 180 for resort riding and more techy dh. The bike climbs like a dream in the 140 setting. I've got 600 miles on my HD setup like that, and it's the best of both worlds.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon View Post
    If you have the means, get rid of that Float and get a 36 Talas 180. 70% of the time I leave my fork in the 140mm setting, even for mellower downhills with berms and tables. But it is sure nice to pop it back up to 180 for resort riding and more techy dh. The bike climbs like a dream in the 140 setting. I've got 600 miles on my HD setup like that, and it's the best of both worlds.
    I do have the means but right now I have other things I have to pay off before I buy another fork. For right now the most cost effective means is just throwing in the 20mm or 10mm spacer. I ordered both today from Fox. I'm going to start with dropping down to 160 and if I find I need more travel and can spare some handling I'll move to 170. A fork with two settings at the flip of a switch would be convenient though.
    Trust the Dummy....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I really like 170mm so far.

mtbr member
    had the 160 talas at 67 HA, swapped to a bomber evo 180mm ... love it. I find it balances the bike well, it climbs just as good I think with a little body english. the lighter air fork would always want to come up on me when climbing or jumping. I think having the heavier fork even though it's 180mm keeps the front end planted to the ground, and also cuz it's coil... haven't even put my 160 talas back on since I've had that fork bike just feels so good... it's a beast at 30.7 lbs but rides so much better down, an isn't back climbing either...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp