mtbr member

Good job! Thanks for Conti Trail King Recommendation

I've been using a 2.2 Trail King UST on the rear of my Mojo SL for about 6 months, I ride about 5 times a week. Everything from single track to fire roads, this tire ROCKs: great grip, low rolling resistance and it lasts. I forgot who recommended it, dbug or redmann, no matter, Thanks.

On the front I'm current using a Hans Dampf trail star comp that is awesome as well. I picked up a couple when Mikes Bikes had them for $50

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    my HD came with TK 2.4 front (black chilly not UST but mounted tubeless) and I really like that tire... but it was a little big for everyday trail riding (but perfect for the week at whistler and Northstar and so much lighter at 940g vs typical 2.5 DH tires at 1400-1500g and more volume!) so I got the TK 2.2 non UST (a REAL pain to seal the walls, but finally did) at 640g as my front tire and like it a lot too... my fav front tire.

Dropshot Champ!
    I loved it as a front and a rear, only complaints is the non ust sidewalls are pretty thin. I sliced more than a couple! Theyre pretty tall tires and my biggest problem was the rear 2.2 would hit my seat tube on drops, seems like a common problem. Lastly, the non st didnt take low pressure from tubeless well...anything under 31/32 would squirm (weak and tall sidewall?)

With all that said, the big volume and tread design make for rippin trails!

After rubbin seat tube and tearing sidewalls, someone gave me a few nobby nics and then i moved to a purgatory (knockoff nic?) For general trail riding. With an ikon for endurance rides with mega climbs, or a tcs/fr wtb wolverine 2.2 on the rear.

It seems like ive tried every damn tire out there and now go for whats on sale, since i'll tear it ha.

Happy trails and thanks for the shout out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I loved it as a front and a rear, only complaints is the non ust sidewalls are pretty thin.
    After rubbin seat tube and tearing sidewalls,...
    I have not tried it as rear, but since i have an HD it will likely clear anyway. TK2.2 not ust has been ok so far after a couple months - I know the TK2.4 at 940g can take the abuse as it has done great at N* (talk about tire shredding and sharp rocks) and Whistler for 14+ days, so it must have the sidewall protection (+300gr than smaller bro)

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    someone gave me a few nobby nics and then i moved to a purgatory (knockoff nic?) For general trail riding.
    I hated the Spec purgatory - after washing my front a few to many times, I was thankfully able to swap it out for ground control for the rear and get a smaller TK2.2 front which is doing great. I've gotten them for $40 shipped (black chilli) so great price if you can find them on sale. Amazon.com: My review of Continental Mountain Bike Tire Trail King ...

Bike Addiction
    Running 2.2 TK up front (love the traction of Black chilly). Mountain king 2.2 non ust on rear. Jury still out on MK. Not impressed after 5 rides. Burped first ride and wasn't riding hard at the time. Might have had psi too low. No prob since
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Conti has been promising an RTR (tubeless ready) version forever, I emailed them a year ago and was told it's almost ready.. It's too bad since it's such a great tire but there is no viable 2.2 Stan's compatibee version on the market without taking the full UST penalty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baltik View Post
    Conti has been promising an RTR (tubeless ready) version forever, I emailed them a year ago and was told it's almost ready.. It's too bad since it's such a great tire but there is no viable 2.2 Stan's compatibee version on the market without taking the full UST penalty
    I have Mountain King II (Protection, Black Chili), 2.2 and 2.4 on my SL-R. I mounted them up fairly easily on my Stan's rims and have not had any problems with them since. I really like this combination of tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Had them and before and currently running x-king
    Guessed both are great tires

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Riyute View Post
    Had them and before and currently running x-king
    Guessed both are great tires
    Currently running X-King 2.2 Protection front and rear.

Did you run the Trail King front and rear? Definitely going to try the 2.2 Trail King rear, but curious about using it up front. The tread just looks like a rear.....a bit nervous about using for a front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Currently running X-King 2.2 Protection front and rear.

Did you run the Trail King front and rear? Definitely going to try the 2.2 Trail King rear, but curious about using it up front. The tread just looks like a rear.....a bit nervous about using for a front.
    Interesting question, I'm using a Hans Dampf front which I like a lot -looks like its going to last a while, even with the soft trail star compound.

I was a tad bummed this weekend as my UST TrailKing, blew right next to the bead. Granted it had 1,500 hard miles on it, but it still had tread. I ordered a few more as its the best rear by far I've found