mtbr member

Tell me why not a Chris King

All right, opinions against installing a standard headset (Chris King) instead of the IS?

A Chris King will rise the front a bit more then 10mm (and add some weight) but other then that? Estetics? The clumsyness of putting adaptors on such a clean system (IS)?
    Last edited by Davide; 02-07-2007 at 03:06 PM.

mtbr member
    all i can say is why are you thinking about it ?
    milesW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    all i can say is why are you thinking about it ?
    because the CK will give me extra 10+mm in front and I will avoid the assle of having to sell my Vanilla 130 to buy a 140 ... and the Chris King will last probably until I die (I own one already)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Show us a photo up when youve done it!

Keep Riding !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    because the CK will give me extra 10+mm in front and I will avoid the assle of having to sell my Vanilla 130 to buy a 140 ... and the Chris King will last probably until I die (I own one already)
    Why bother at all??

I've installed my 2004 Fox Talas (125mm Travel) to my Mojo and it handles fine (I actualy love the way it handles) remember it the axle to crown measurement not the Travel that makes the difference.
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieRider
    Why bother at all??

I've installed my 2004 Fox Talas (125mm Travel) to my Mojo and it handles fine (I actualy love the way it handles) remember it the axle to crown measurement not the Travel that makes the difference.
    It might be worth the try, a 130 vs 140 might be fine .. but I assumed that the AC of the 140 was 10mm more then the 130. The AC of the 125 IS 5mm shorter then the 130 ...

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    All right, opinions against installing a standard headset (Chris King) instead of the IS?

A Chris King will rise the front a bit more then 10mm (and add some weight) but other then that? Estetics? The clumsyness of putting adaptors on such a clean system (IS)?
    The only opinion I can think oif that matters is that a standard headset won't fit in the Mojo. It has IS cups. Are there IS to standard adapters out there? I ask because I have never seen or heard of one.

I'd stick with the IS and treat yourself to a nice new 140mm fork. Sure it will cost a little money, but you know you are going to be happy when you are riding it on the trail...

Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mojo mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    a standard headset won't fit in the Mojo. It has IS cups. Are there IS to standard adapters out there? I ask because I have never seen or heard of one.
    I was wondering the same thing when I first read this post. The IS headset requirement is the only thing I can think of that I wasn't totally sold on about the Mojo. I wound up getting the Cane Creek IS8 because of the stainless steel sealed cartridge bearings. I'd be a little sketched by adapters but willing to check them out if they exist. My last King headset was/is totally bombproof, 10 years w/o even a squeak, set it and forget it. I hope the IS8 can come close for durability and water resistance. A friend of mine has had a lot of trouble with the Cane Creek in his Orbea, I'm not a fan of rebuilding hubs or headsets every other week.

mtbr member

Ops, no adaptor!

Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    The only opinion I can think oif that matters is that a standard headset won't fit in the Mojo. It has IS cups. Are there IS to standard adapters out there? I ask because I have never seen or heard of one.

I'd stick with the IS and treat yourself to a nice new 140mm fork. Sure it will cost a little money, but you know you are going to be happy when you are riding it on the trail...

Dave
    It was my wrong: somewhere I dreamt that I saw an adaptor IS->Standard. I e-mailed Chris King and they say that they do not make one. Oh well that simplifies things.

By the way: CK has an absolutely scary article about internal headsets won't stop me from ordering the Mojo

mtbr member
    Hope will produce one very soon.

edit: I mean the integrated headset, not the adaptor.
    Last edited by Mr Bling; 02-12-2007 at 09:59 PM.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member

Not threadjacking..

Do It Yourself
    If you want King quality in an Integrated headset, try a Cane Creek Solos IS. It's made in the USA with serviceable bearings and a 10 year warranty. It's a top of the line headset from the company that invented the threadless headset.

http://www.canecreek.com/solos_is.html
    Long Live Long Rides