mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Talk me out of selling Mojo SL for HT 29er

I got an Ibis Mojo SL Special Blend last season, been riding it and loving it. Absolutely best bike I've ever ridden. The X-Fusion stuff (front and rear) has been flawless and fun. However, I'm mainly focused on racing and I suck at that. I feel like a hardtail 29er, like all the fast guys ride, would be an improvement.

Ibis Pros
    - aesthetically awesome frame, nothing looks better
    - super fun to ride, always have a smile on my face
    - full squish is fun on downhills and works well on ups too
    - Ibis is a cool company

Cons
    - 28 lbs vs 23
    - for racing, the FS soaks a lot of uphill energy
    - I'm primarily racing now (and for next few years)
    - No tapered headtube, no internally routed cables

I'd love to buy HT 29er and keep the Ibis for fun but cannot afford (resist the urge...) to keep both. I know I could drop the weight on the Ibis 3-4 pounds (or more), but it'll be expen$ive. I can also buy a brand new, race ready, carbon ht 9er w 5-yr warranty for $2650, probably close to what I could sell the Mojo for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Do it! to each his own. i have 2 bikes and one is a 29er HT. i use both bike to its specific. if you're going to strictly race, whatever gonna help you win- use it.

mtbr member
    Chinese carbon frame, Craigslist, eBay, MTBR for parts=budget build 29'r HT race bike. Or buy a used 29'r complete which will also save a ton of $$$. Keep the SL, you will regret not having it on non race days.

screamer
    You didn't say what category you're in. If you're Cat 1, it's true that it's an uphill battle to be competitive on a 140mm travel bike. Anything less than that & you'll reap far greater benefits with a focused training program than you will with an equipment change. Hell, just invest in a lighter wheelset & some faster rolling tire experimentation: that will shave substantial time. There's nothing sweeter than blowing by the roadie poseurs in Cat 2 on their fancy race rigs, knowing your bike outweighs theirs by a good 5 lbs. Bonus points if you're sporting cargo shorts and platform pedals. My basic point is don't rely on the bike to make the difference for you: it's a crutch at best.

In other news, you can get an On One Lurcher for under $1700 shipped to the US.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My advice is to upgrade your current bike.

Get a set of cross max racing wheels, then go tubeless. That should save a pound right there, plus they will roll better and have better engagement.

Next convert your seatpost and handle bar to carbon, if you haven't already.
    I would also consider replacing the seat too.
    You could consider upgrading your fork to something lighter. There are trade offs doing that though.

That bike is not hard to get down to 25/26 pounds.

I would tell you that in my 15 years of riding, that fast riders are generally fast on anything.
    For example: the best down hill rider I know , raced XC in college.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The On One is a good looking bike and a good value but at 12.4 kg (27.34 pounds), it's as heavy as the Mojo.

The town series categories are: pro, expert, sport, beginner. I'm sport. This may be misleading, as the sportos are quite fast and the pro/experts are actually pro level with national accolades. Even beginner is insanely competitive and packed with kids in full kits and $5k carbon rides.

Upgrades are possible but $1000+ to drop 2 pounds is silly. Sell this, buy new, drop 4 pounds for <$500.

Been keeping my eye on craigslist but used bikes are selling for about same price as a new Sette Razzo SC. Basically chinese carbon w a 5-yr warranty and US-based customer support. I'd love to keep both but budget does not allow.

mtbr member
    New wheels and lighter tires will make a HUGE difference. I'd rather ride a 28lb bike with really light wheels/tires vs. a 24lb bike with heavy wheels and tires.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Consider upgrading your Mojo. Start with light wheels (stans crest are relatively affordable but super light). I stepped up from cat 2 to cat 1 last year and have consistently finished ahead of midpack on a sub 24 pound mojo sl.

It all depends on the course, but if its tight and twisty, somewhat lower speed in the pedally sections, techy downhills, with lots of sudden changes in topo., rocky, root infested, punchy, with minimal doubletrack, then a mojo with an xc build can go head to head with a 29er hardtail. But the rider is always a factor and you need to go with the bike that best suits your style.

The FS 29ers can give the mojo a better run for its money on a tough xc race course.

But a mojo SLR dedicated 650B, sub 24 lb. Now that would be cheatin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Talk me out of selling Mojo SL for HT 29er

As other people have said give the mojo a wheel upgrade. My mojo sl had started as a special blend. I sold off all the heavy parts on eBay.
    Currently my mojo sits at about 25.7 lb with arch 650b and a droper post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I also vote for upgrading the Mojo SL. My Special Blend is now loaded with XX1, new wheels, new brakes, etc. and is a totally different bike.

Dropshot Champ!
    keep the mojo, buy a chinese carbon 29er ht frame, piece together stuff from ebay/cl.

I built a 21lb r2r niner that just rips. Slack hta, 30in bars, big tires. It's crazy fun, but it doesn't replace the mojo.

FWIW, I can change tires and the bar and have a reliable 19lb bike (ready2ride, w/ pedals/cages/garmin/tube) and I spent about a grand less than your budget. I've got about 2000mi on it, including multiple 100mi singletrack days, 40 races, and general all-around thrashing from my hack 190lb riding skills.

You're stuck shipping it back if you have any problems, but most do come with a 2 year warranty. Tens of thousands of happy customers between rbr and mtbr.

They're not for everyone, but if you're broke they make a pretty sick ride on the cheap. I would never replace the mojo for one though. Too much fun chunk around here.

mtbr member
    Ill give you my exp.
    I have owned, jet rdo, ripley, tallboy ltc, wfo, and I keep coming back to hd.
    Because, a light 650b wheel set, with conti race kings is fast like a 29er and make boring xc trails fun. Big knobs on a 26 wheelset @ 160 make the road trips to bike parks fun. I believe there is no better 1 bike quiver than the HD. Just an extra wheelset and shock. I ran loops but now the 650b pike @ 4 lbs. IDK about how that mentally helps racing but the quickest cheapest way to shed overall weight is a xx1 crank w/ a xo spider if u must go 2x. My HD is under 27 w/ dropper and xx1. My back requires fs. as does my riding preference.
    OR the ripley is a blazing fast accelerator. And a tolerable trail bike. But eff hardtails
    I'd race a czar or ripley, but I'd sorely miss the HD and the parks- i'd at least own a giant reign to beat on. Those bikes are worth skipping dessert.
    Just some food for thought.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I would keep the Mojo SL, you could loose several pounds at a reasonable cost with:
    - Look for a good used set of Stan's Podium MMX or Roval carbon wheelset. Both of these are in the 1200 gram range and I've seen these for $500.00 - $600.00 in great shape.
    - S-works carbon cranks are $300.00. Run them with a Lightening Spider & Extralite chainrings ( pictured is 22T/32T) I run 2X9. This is the lightest set up going with the exception of $1250.00 THM Clav. cranks.
    - Run a Rocket Ron front tire & Conti Race King Supersonic 2.2" rear.Both have good traction & roll great.
    -When you need new cables go with Power cordz Prime system.
    My SL is 21.5 lbs. ( with different pedals than shown) 2X9, 150mm fork, 685mm riser bar, Full knob - large volume tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talk me out of selling Mojo SL for HT 29er-img_4510_1.jpg  

Talk me out of selling Mojo SL for HT 29er-img_0585_1.jpg  

Talk me out of selling Mojo SL for HT 29er-img_0583_1.jpg  

Talk me out of selling Mojo SL for HT 29er-img_1781_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Looks like the Ibis is getting a new friend (enemy?) in the stable! Bought a Sette Razzo SC X0, should have it soon! The next race in the series is straight up a fire road to a mtn top finish, the Mojo will most likely not be ridden!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How much time on the bike do you spend racing or specifically training for racing. If it's over 60%, go with the hardtail. Otherwise, stick with your mojo and put some race tires on it.

mtbr member
    pretty much the silliest thread ever.. i recently bought a felt cahbon hardtail 29er at 23lbs.. I have a mojo HD as well that I ride almost 100% of the time. Demoed the ripley for a few days.. now I have a ripley on order and the hardtail is for sale. Hardtail is just that.. it beats the bag out of you on a regular basis trail riding, an it's great for a 2 hour xc race.. but forget it on any endurance racing or enduros or anything like that. The ripley I tested was 25lbs with xt build.. and climbed just as good as the hardtail and I was way faster on tech with the ripley..
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the reply but I must disagree that it is silly. Well, of course it's ridiculous to be contemplating dropping thousands of dollars on bicycles ("An investment in my health!" <- is what I tell my girlfriend...), but that's not this debate.

A Ripley (if I could reliably get one delivered) would be an awesome bike. However, the XT build comes to $5,600. For that price, I can keep my $2,750 Mojo Special Blend, buy the $2,650 23 pound Sette for racing, and still come out $200 ahead, maybe for race entries. Now I just have to convince my girlfriend it's perfectly normal to have a FS 26, HT 29, commuter SS and road bike, and we have the storage space for all of the toys! Also, I probably need a new pair of skis but that argument can wait.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    One last point against the (amazingly fun to ride) Mojo, now I'll be able to have a water bottle!

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    pretty much the silliest thread ever.. i recently bought a felt cahbon hardtail 29er at 23lbs.. I have a mojo HD as well that I ride almost 100% of the time. Demoed the ripley for a few days.. now I have a ripley on order and the hardtail is for sale. Hardtail is just that.. it beats the bag out of you on a regular basis trail riding, an it's great for a 2 hour xc race.. but forget it on any endurance racing or enduros or anything like that. The ripley I tested was 25lbs with xt build.. and climbed just as good as the hardtail and I was way faster on tech with the ripley..

yes, nobody here sounds like they will be enduro racing their carbon hardtails. At all.

You get that people are building geared, front suspension, 17-21lb 29ers that are ready to ride right? The difference between a 17lb ht and a 27lb or even 25lb ripley or mojo is pretty big...especially for xc racing.

And he looks like he's keeping the ibis too, which is smart! Lightweight 29er ht for most races and super xc rides. Mojo for fun, enduro, epic stuff!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Definitely not as comfortable on rough rocky descents as the Mojo. However, the bigger wheels - it's like looking ahead to pick a line (even on mellow sections, just looking where to steer) and you're already there. Definitely faster and cover more ground on every pedal stroke, definitely ninny-ing my way through stuff the Mojo would eat up on the down.

Living in the mountains, I see the gear choice as similar to skis. There's one answer that will be mediocre at everything but you really need a quiver to cover all trails and conditions. Now I need more storage space and pray I can survive replenishing my savings! The GF still doesn't know...the shipping box is sitting next to her parking space and the new bike hasn't been hidden, but I haven't specifically told her I pulled the trigger (and already rode it a few times).

bike rider
    I use a 25lb Mojo SL for XC racing and love it. The general feel and fun ride usually allow me to make up any time on downhills that I lose on climbs and I'm not sure the lost time on climbs is the bike's fault. With the fork lowered and rear ProPedal on (and I usually run 5psi extra for races) I don't feel it eating much energy.

However, I'm in the process of building a rigid $1700 19lb 27.5" bike as a townie/why not own a rigid/race it on smooth courses bike. I'm curious to see how times compare on a few local loops between the two but I can't imagine that the rigid will ever become my main ride. With all the cheap, light stuff from China on ebay it's not so expensive to build a hardtail/rigid that I'd sell my Ibis to do it.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have a Flash 29er and a Mojo SL, I use both for racing depending on the course, but mainly the 29er because it is really faster. On my training trails (really flat) my average speed is 3 km/h faster on the hardtail. However when I go trail riding and mtb trips, The mojo is my weapon of choice because it is so fun and still fast.

Keep both!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sad to update, my Mojo is gone :*(

Posted it on craigslist at the high end of price range, rejected all low ball offers. A guy that already owns an Ibis wanted it for his gf, so I felt comfortable letting it go to someone that understands Ibis. Full price, all cash; still nearly called it off. As "race" season is over now, I've been riding the Mojo more and the HT9er less, including an awesome day of lift served at Crested Butte.

Had to sell, as international travel is in my near future (free couch in Madrid!). Even though I'm now, sadly, Ibis-free, I'm sure I'll still be checking on this forum. Already thinking about buying the exact same bike or an SL-R/HD Special Blend in the spring, still believe it's the best value for an extraordinary bike.