Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Talk Me Down From the Ledge

I am thinking of jumping ship from Ibis I am a huge fan, but disappointed that they do not have a 150 travel 275 bike. I am looking at something new with the following specs;

Carbon DW Link 27.5
    155 mm Rear Travel
    66 HA
    16.9" CS
    13.6" BB

Not hard to figure out what I am looking at, but I would LOVE to stay on an Ibis. I am not into the Bikeco mods since it raises the BB. Anyone have thoughts on this or can tell me that Ibis has something coming in the next 6 months!?

Dissolved member

IMHO it is the best 650b long-legged platform out there at the moment.

_____
    Jul 2007
    And it has a nice 25.3" TT in XL to fit my 6'5" frame. Too bad it is so ugly.

Ibis, please build something similar but with your gorgeous HD lines.

mtbr member
    You can love a brand but that only goes so far. I am a long time Intense fan but currently don't own one. I will gladly come back if they check all the right boxes. These things are too expensive for anything else.

BTW, I have a bit of a bike stiffy over the same bike.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SiO2 View Post
    And it has a nice 25.3" TT in XL to fit my 6'5" frame. Too bad it is so ugly.

Ibis, please build something similar but with your gorgeous HD lines.
    I agree it is not the best looking bike but they nailed the Geo.

Ordered the frame tonight. Let the wait begin!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm probably there with you too...except it really is an ugly bike!!

I bet Ibis doesn't have something till 2015. I don't get it because there are so many HDs around that Ibis must have made good money on it and can afford to work on something to replace it. This whole HDR revision has just postponed that new bike.

Too Much Fun

To Each Their Own but...

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    ...except it really is an ugly bike!!
    That... I hate the look of their stuff. The shapes, the graphics.

...But more importantly, have you ridden it?!

I won't buy a high zoot frame I have zero experience with, unless it's from a company who I really know (Ibis, Santa Cruz for me). Numbers have lied before, they will lie again.

The HD has been the single best handling bike I've ever ridden and owned, hence I'm looking forward to the HD-R, which I'm going to have kitted out for both 650b & 26. Given the state of flux with wheel sizes AND the fact that I know exactly how a dialed HD 26 rides, I really like the fact that the new HDR allows so much flexibility in configuration.

I've spent ample time on Pivots recently, primarily the 5.7c and the 429c. Long, real rides. I liked them ok, but I didn't *love* them. Both had a somewhat dead feeling to the front end. Didn't have any time to really think on it, but that's what I felt. Something I've never experienced with the 5-6 Ibis rides I've owned. As always, YMMV.

( I also prefer supporting a smaller company that isn't spending half it's budget on muti-page spreads and brochures, but that's a whole other conversation )
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a Bikeco HDR and the BB is lower on the 27.5" HDR then it was on my 26" HD. They have pictures and info on their website if you haven't already seen them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    That... I hate the look of their stuff. The shapes, the graphics.

...But more importantly, have you ridden it?!
    You guys are too funny, I was convinced that the HDR was my next bike, but now I am wavering due to the release of the Mach6. I've demo'ed most of the bikes in the category and the HD (I assume the HDR is even better) and the M5.7C, in my opinion are the best two bikes out there with a slight edge to the HD. But, I never thought the HD's or Ibis's strong following was due to their beauty. I like the way the HD looks, but I guess for me the form factor of a bike was never a reason to buy one. I agree that the M5.7C did have too many logos on the bike (like the current SC models), but the M6 doesn't have that problem.

mtbr member
    I liked the specs on the Mach 6 until i saw that it had a pressfit bottom bracket. No thanks.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk View Post
    You guys are too funny,
    Thanks, I'll be here all week!

Quote Originally Posted by davemk View Post
    I agree that the M5.7C did have too many logos on the bike (like the current SC models), but the M6 doesn't have that problem.
    I actually think the all-black colorway isn't half bad. And I agree that form-factor alone should never be the deciding factor. Ride comes first, then everything else.

That said, there are some ugly-ass bikes out there... And sometimes it's a fine line.

New Czar: dig it. New Flux: butt ugly with that little top tube bend....
    - -benja- -

Too Much Fun

Good job! BikeCo link...

Quote Originally Posted by cdsdad View Post
    i have a bikeco hdr and the bb is lower on the 27.5" hdr then it was on my 26" hd. They have pictures and info on their website if you haven't already seen them.
    BOOM!

How does it ride?

And how much over stock is that frame?
    - -benja- -

Mtb Guide
    Did you get an MRI after your recent crash/injury SP, if not I think you better get one quick

Personally just think you're over complicating the issue.

Keep your current HD @ 160/170!

Add HDR 27.5"
    Throw in a works components angle set, Pike, Monarch Plus go ride, you don't need that much rear travel if you're going 27.5"

Most people aren't using all that travel, just caught up in hype, you know better SP, think the meds and obviously the nurses have not been hot enough to take your mind off being off the bike buddy, hang in they're, grass is not greener, unless you just need to unload some greenbacks.

Hope you get well soon, posts like this are not good for your recovery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsdad View Post
    I have a Bikeco HDR and the BB is lower on the 27.5" HDR then it was on my 26" HD. They have pictures and info on their website if you haven't already seen them.
    Isn't also strange that everyone compares static bb heights? If you run 25%-30% sag then the BikeCO static bb can be 5mm higher than the 650b version and have the same bb height when riding.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    grass is not greener, unless you just need to unload some greenbacks.
    this.
    I don't understand the obsession with buying new bikes. You already have an Ibis, just ride that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    this.
    I don't understand the obsession with buying new bikes. You already have an Ibis, just ride that!
    Its a funny world these days!

mtbr member
    I definitely ride my bike, it is the only thing that keeps me sane. As for travel, my strength is fast chunk and I LOVE it. With my type of riding I regularly knock the ring off my rear shock. My fork usually has about 3/4" of travel left after a ride, but I really like the slack HA. The angleset may be a solution for the HDR 275. Just don't like the idea of losing 10% of my rear travel even with the Bikeco mods.

I can say that the speed difference is measurable going uphill between 26 and 275. I am going to hop on my buddies Bronson when I get back on the bike to see if it is measurable going down. His bike is setup fairly similar to mine and I may even throw a set of his 275 carbon wheels on my bike as well to try it out.

I have until Spring to decide!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    You can love a brand but that only goes so far. I am a long time Intense fan but currently don't own one. I will gladly come back if they check all the right boxes. These things are too expensive for anything else.
    This. I've been a long time Ventana fan but they don't make what I'm looking for (they got rid of their 160mm travel 26" bike) and their bikes do not fit me right now. Maybe in the future that will change, but right now, I'm really digging my HD.

Nor does Ventana make a DJ. So I opted to buy a Yeti DJ because it felt right.

While the supporting company is good, you ride the bike not the company. Gotta ride what's right for you.

And since we have three wheel sizes and people will multiple rides in their stable, I expect riders to get more company agnostic than one-company-only in the future.
    Last edited by Stripes; 08-07-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I definitely ride my bike, it is the only thing that keeps me sane. As for travel, my strength is fast chunk and I LOVE it. With my type of riding I regularly knock the ring off my rear shock. My fork usually has about 3/4" of travel left after a ride, but I really like the slack HA. The angleset may be a solution for the HDR 275. Just don't like the idea of losing 10% of my rear travel even with the Bikeco mods.

I can say that the speed difference is measurable going uphill between 26 and 275. I am going to hop on my buddies Bronson when I get back on the bike to see if it is measurable going down. His bike is setup fairly similar to mine and I may even throw a set of his 275 carbon wheels on my bike as well to try it out.

I have until Spring to decide!
    Going uphill is about setup and engine, only difference with going down is skill over fitness, they're never has been a do it all bike that does everything you're asking for ime, thats just marketing, people just don't know how to compromise, every setup is a compromise somewhere! even at the highest level with pros its a compromise with pro sus tunes!

If you're already bottoming your shock SP so much I don't see how a 150mm 27.5" is going to make any difference to that, either setup sounds like you need a more DH orientated shock or setup with more progessive nature, to remain supple at beginning possibly maybe a coil will do what you need with a Ti spring to keep weight down, just setup my buds Froggy with one on his RC4 stellar ride, or maybe try a CCDBa with CS?

SP not trying to knock your knowledge you're onto it, just wondering if ya got a bit of delayed concussion, this does not sound like you buddy.

No issue you going 27.5" if thats what you want to do, I just think people are throwing out the bath water with the bath! spending a **** load of money on the wrong stuff, end of the day still comes down to the rider.

Same old issues, some things never change no matter how good bikes get haha.

Anyway will follow your journey with interest, mean time Im staying the course

Lightly salted
    I think one of the best things about the HD is it's versatility. I can't think of another frame that gives you as many options as the HD or HDr does. Instead of buying a new bike, what about upgrading your suspension front and back?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Simple solution: ride these bikes, buy the one you like better!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    And don't forget that Ibis sets the bench mark for CS.
    I think the HDR will become yet another chameleon the classic mojo and the HD before it. The bike co mods prove the point.
    For me, well tbh, the bike is more capable than me in most circumstances so until I feel like I am maxxing it I'll stick to my HD

mtbr member
    Since the Bikeco builds keep coming up, I thought I'd share some info Nate from Bikeco sent me, which I'm sure he wouldn't mind me reposting.... really helpful and informative... likely to get my HD-R money... as soon as I find it ........

"Our shock options have developed a bit as we have produced more and more of the HDR's. At this point we have eliminated the long shock option which was originally designed to utilize a standard eye to eye and stroke shock with custom hardware. We were never able to fully realize true Ibis DW performance with this route. We never released those commercially for that reason.

Our 147mm rear shock utilizes custom eye to eye and custom stroke.

The 147mm option offers a lower bottom bracket height, excellent all around performance and coupled with the larger air can assembly it fights heat, and controls ramp rate better than single can options. We do offer our rear shock with a World Cup compression tune circuit instead of the pro pedal feature if you are so inclined. (ed. WOOHOO!) BikeCo's CustomMTB suspension is a $250 upgrade from the frame price (it may be a bit more down the line as we are evolving some new technical coatings for shaft and internals). We have many incentives (that vary quite a bit) and as you get closer we can get you an exact price (no one pays MSRP in this industry)."

mtbr member
    got their mod roco ordered recently for my 650b hd. cant wait. as bacon says, i was also told the shock is going to get re-coated first before they tune it and send it to me.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    I am still contemplating taking my regular HD an converting.. I already have a bikeco shock, they said to just send it back, an they can retune an valve for 650b,.. I guess when I blow up my rear hub, I"ll take the plunge.. There are alot of bikes around the northeast that offer higher BB heights just for the technical crap we have.. higher BB height isn't always a bad thing depending on where you ride...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast