mtbr member

Tahoe trails bike ... HD or Ripley 4 Fernando?

I have 4 rides in on my Ripley and not enough experience to help my buddy decide. His LBS dude says HD for Tahoe as the small wheels will handle the twists and turns better. I say yes maybe but might the Ripley be overall safer .... rolling over stuff on the way down? The white HD truly is a thing of beauty for sure. What says the ibis crowd ? He will also be riding Demo...The Gap... and Skeegs. He will usually be within a mile or so in back of me in the bay area locations !
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Hd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    HD! That bike definitely gives me a lot more confidence in what i can ride safely.

mtbr member
    Fernando's previous bike ... now stolen was a 36 lb Kona squishy. He is my size at 5 10' and a bit heavier at 200 lbs. He is a trail rider not into jumps or in need of incredible performance. Another riding bud ... Soares is 6 4' and 225 and has wanted an hd for some time now plus also looking at the new SL Ibis...NOT sold on the big hoops. My 29er Ripley was very easy right off the bat for me to get on and ride coming from 26 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Your call, I live and ride in Tahoe. I think the Ripley is the one (at least for me). Got it 2-3 weeks ago, been on close to 10 rides, it can handle everything Tahoe can throw it no problem. Agile, climber, smooth and great on the downhills. PS I am riding a 140 up front. The Ripley eats up the twists and turns. I had a Mojo for nearly 5 years. I vote RIPLEY!

The only place where it wouldn't shine would be the ski area's and some of the built up big huck stuff, HD for that, the rest of the 99% of the riding it's good to go and then some.

mtbr member
    Demoing an Ibis Mojo HDR 650b this week in Tahoe City. (bump)

mtbr member
    The HD /HDR is a time proven Tahoe Killer, love my 160 travel HDR.

But I bet the Ripley would be right at home, rode a 29 for the first time yesterday, actually 3" wide 29+ tires on my fat bike for a summer setup and wholly crap the thing climbs up technical rocky stuff like no other bike I've ridden. Had no problem dropping tight technical rock stuff either.

Both will work great.

Check out the new wheelset next to my HDR

In action yesterday
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

aka dan51
    I've been riding my HD at Tahoe for years, and I can't wait to get the Ripley out there. Pretty sure it will be a better bike for Tahoe.
    I know I'll want the HD on just a few trails like Toads, and N*. Otherwise I have a feeling the Ripley will be better at everything else.

Also in regards to the 26 handling twists and turns better, that's BS. My Ripley is more nimble than my HD any day, which is not something I was expecting when I got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Dropshot Champ!
    It really depends what you're after. I'd grab the ripley 9/10x for linking together long days of dirt.

Shuttling north shore stuff around truckee or martis peak, hd for sure.

It would be really interesting to hear some back to back comparison between a ripley w/ 140 pike up front vs HD160 for riding toads though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Does anyone consider the SLR anymore? Light, nimble, durable, capable to handle everything, good travel at 150/140mm…

mtbr member

Where's Fernando?

Hey guy's ... Jeeze ... thought this thread was dead and gone. Unfortunately my buddy never got another mountain bike. I sold my house in his / my old neighborhood and pretty much lost touch with him. I told him I would buy him the HD or the Ripley for him with a promise to pay me back but he said no. Just sent him this bump. Still rockin my Ripley and a Lynskey SS. Tahoe trails bike ... HD or Ripley 4 Fernando?-0529131035.jpg

screamer
    Interesting responses! I'd have expected fewer votes for the Ripley, given the slow techy & ledgy climbs throughout Tahoe. Granted, I haven't ridden a Ripley up there (test rides are off limits until we finish our home remodel!), but I'd have thought the larger wheels might be tougher to haul up & over those endless granite steps & ledges that really sap your strength particularly on long days. Curious to hear some real-world experiences!
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    I demoed a HDR650b L and Ripley XL, Tallboy LTc XL, Specialized SJ 29 XL, Specialized Camber EVO 29 XL, Bronson L(heavy aluminum pig unfortunately). For me the Ripley is it. The Camber EVO 29 and Stumpjumper 29 are a tie for second place.

I have a Giant Trance X29 0 L which is a very fine bike but I'd prefer something nimbler.
    Last edited by IntenseJim; 05-07-2014 at 05:32 PM.

mtbr member

Fernando's 2 cents!

Got ahold of him and this is what he said ... "I did test ride a Ripley in San Diago during X-mas time. That is the bike for me go 29nr!!!." You have to admit the Ripley is one sexy beast and seems to make the big hoops look good!

mtbr member
    Hey Jim

Ping me after you get that Ripley and lets do a ride, since we never got around to sking together this year, maybe we can swap bikes briefly so I can try it out

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have both bikes... The Ripley rips but when **** hits the fan the HD is the bike of choice. On that note.. As much as I love my HD I would not purchase a 26 inch bike. The HDR is a mistake waiting to be fixed.
    I also live in Tahoe!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Hey Jim

Ping me after you get that Ripley and lets do a ride, since we never got around to sking together this year, maybe we can swap bikes briefly so I can try it out
    For sure. I'm researching parts and spec'ing it out and will order it next week. Pretty much going to shoot my wad on this.

mtbr member
    Nice Jim!

BTW where did you Demo that XL Ripley, Santa Cruz?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Nice Jim!

BTW where did you Demo that XL Ripley, Santa Cruz?
    Yes. Spokesman Bikes will pickup any size or model Ibis from the nearby Ibis factory with 48 hours notice. Those guys are awesome too.

Tangentially......

Olympic Bike Shop in Tahoe City has an HDR650b size L; I think they will have a Ripley for demo at some point.

Tunnel Creek Flume Bikes or whatever it's called in Incline Village had a Ripley XL;they should be opening asap for the season.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I haven't ridden in Tahoe, but if you'll be doing some steeper, rocky descents, I think this is where the RS Pike 140 really shines on my Ripley, and I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try. With a KS LEV dropper post, I don't notice any real difference with tighter, technical turns going downhill between the Ripley and HDR 650b the Ripley actually does better going uphill through this type of terrain (and I have a RS Pike 150 on the HDR 650b). Both are great bikes!!