mtbr member

Tahoe trails bike ... HD or Ripley 4 Fernando?

I have 4 rides in on my Ripley and not enough experience to help my buddy decide. His LBS dude says HD for Tahoe as the small wheels will handle the twists and turns better. I say yes maybe but might the Ripley be overall safer .... rolling over stuff on the way down? The white HD truly is a thing of beauty for sure. What says the ibis crowd ? He will also be riding Demo...The Gap... and Skeegs. He will usually be within a mile or so in back of me in the bay area locations !
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Hd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    HD! That bike definitely gives me a lot more confidence in what i can ride safely.

mtbr member
    Fernando's previous bike ... now stolen was a 36 lb Kona squishy. He is my size at 5 10' and a bit heavier at 200 lbs. He is a trail rider not into jumps or in need of incredible performance. Another riding bud ... Soares is 6 4' and 225 and has wanted an hd for some time now plus also looking at the new SL Ibis...NOT sold on the big hoops. My 29er Ripley was very easy right off the bat for me to get on and ride coming from 26 inch wheels.
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Your call, I live and ride in Tahoe. I think the Ripley is the one (at least for me). Got it 2-3 weeks ago, been on close to 10 rides, it can handle everything Tahoe can throw it no problem. Agile, climber, smooth and great on the downhills. PS I am riding a 140 up front. The Ripley eats up the twists and turns. I had a Mojo for nearly 5 years. I vote RIPLEY!

The only place where it wouldn't shine would be the ski area's and some of the built up big huck stuff, HD for that, the rest of the 99% of the riding it's good to go and then some.