komojo dragon
    Mar 2007

SX Build Wheelset, good? or upgrade?

I am getting the SX build kit.

It comes with a Crossride wheel set. Any SX build owners regret not swapping up when you bought the bike, or have you been happy with these?

The shop offered the Crosstrails for ~ $275.00 upcharge are these worth it?

I am trying to keep an eye to budget.

upgrades I am planning are - brakes = Avid 7, fork= float rlc

Thanks for your thoughts/ experience with this!

www.derbyrims.com
    I swapped my Crossroads out before using them and sold my previous bike with them. The Mavic wheels all have slow engagement, 16 ratchet clicks, not good for backpedaling in rough climbs to clear the pedals. The Crossroads are not a light wheelset nor are they very heavy either, otherwise they are a lot of wheel and good looking and you couldn't find a better wheel option for under the $200 retail list price. Not sure, but I think the Easton wheels on the XTR builds might have much better performing 24 point engagement.

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    Derby -

Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of the different ratcheting rates for different wheels sets- Thanks! Kinda like the difference between a better ratcheting wrench and a lesser version. Better feel, and more useful in tight spots

The Easton set is about a $400 upcharge. The shop is willing to give a $180.00 credit against another wheelset - which is fair for sure. It's funny how you can get so much value out of the first $200 - then pay multiples of that for incremental improvement... ( I'm into audio so I already know it's more about profit at some point than value... )

I might be willing to spend ~ $200 more now if you could recommend something that would be a noticeably better option? ( either retail or I'll search for sales )

Thanks for the riding tip as well

www.derbyrims.com
    24 point hubs: WTB, American Classic, Hope Bulb, Hope Pro2 (I think), Hadley, White Industry
    72 point Chris King.

FYI, DT Swiss is only 18 point engagement (too bad, otherwise a very solid design).

The '08 XT hubs will have 24 point engagement, but they aren't available now.

I think the only way you'd come under a $500+ cost wheelset with 24 point engagement is using WTB or Hope (not Hope XT hubs).

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Derby!

I'll look into the WTB and Hope based wheelsets!

I checked the Easton site, and there wasn't a mention about ratchet counts that I could see..

I rode an fxr awhile back with Chris King hubs, and they were pretty noisy when coasting..

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    "The XT freehub has been redesigned for quick engagement (10 degrees max) and minimum drag. The result is a highly efficient hub that lends itself to technical riding."

My math says 36 clicks (360/10). I would expect it to run at Ultegra prices for the rear hub. I would take the crossrides and build something else if they make you curse.

OT, but if I needed a fork with that travel... 20mm through axle for sure.

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    Clark - are these xt hubs the '08 hubs Derby is referring to or current models?

I just did a bit of a reality check - most of these upgrades are in the neighborhood of the purchase price of my old Bridgestone complete bike! Somehow these $200.00 wheelsets seem inadequate , but perhaps only in relation to the total bike purchase price.... They are proportional to the build kit price.. are they a weak link? It does look like an upgrade could easily save a pound of weight - add to agility, response...

www.derbyrims.com
    Current XT has 16-point engagement. The '08 XT hubs and wheels as Clark mentioned is hinting at 36-point engagement.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...ano_deore.html

"10% engagement max" may be misleading because it depends on what gear you are in. If you are in the commonly highest gear, 44/11, that would be 9 point engagement (worse than current); lowest gear, 22/34, then 10% max would be about 56 point engagement (unlikely but would be awesome!). If a 1/1 ratio such as 32/32 10% would be 36 point engagement which is next best to the King hubs having 72 point engagement.

XT pricing should raise current XT hub built wheel sets from current $200 with Mavic rims to about $500 with today’s rapidly rising component prices. The '08 XT hubs are Shimano spline rotor compatible, so you would need an adapter (if available) to use non-Shimano brakes or spend the higher dollars for Shimano brakes too.

The SX build Crossride wheels are good wheels and good looking and should hold up for a few years of XC type riding. Maybe just keep them and take your time researching a wheel upgrade for later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Pretty much what Derby said.

The Crossride wheels are good wheels. Lots of people have good success with them - even heavy people. Don't know about mud sealing.

I think that 10 degrees is with a 1:1 ratio - or measured at the freewheel. As you mentioned, the rear XT hub might double in price with the oversize axle and clicks $50>>$100. ~$3 a click.

If you run regular tires tubeless at 25 psi ....

What are the reference weights for all the wheels you are considering?

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    The crossrides per Mavic = 1920 grams
    crosstrails (+$275 upcharge at build time) = 1810 grams (not a great savings - mostly on rear wheel)
    crossmax st ~$550 on sale = 1645 grams (.6 pound savings )
    bontrager race lite atb $425 = 1685 grams (.52 pound savings ) don't know about any brake adaptors that might be needed

Just a few possibles -

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I run a canecreek zonos set up that looks like 1900g for full disk.

I do not know enough about the subject to say more, except in races it is often a fuel effeciency race and others often limit your decisions on how fast you accelerate. I understand Sydor used to run stan's rims on cane creek hubs...

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    Hey Clark and Derby,

After staring at wheels, and prompted by some good "what to look for.." advice from you, for two days I've learned quite a bit - thanks. You both said run with the crossrides - which for now is looking smarter and smarter!

Racing: if I get in some pretty good shape - maybe for fun... next year...

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    Here's a thread which follows along some of our discussion ( your help! ).

07 XTR m975 or Chris King hubs?

This looks pretty promising for price/quality/function

The xtr hubbed wheelsets from colorado cycle..

And what Clark and Derby said about '08 xt hubbed wheelsets might be cheaper when they become available...

btw - aside from the qr hubs for this build, are avid 7's a six bolt rotor attachment?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have the SX build set, and the Crossrides are great. Lighter tyres or dieting might be more cost effective than the $500 for circa 300 grams.

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sadgit
    I have the SX build set, and the Crossrides are great. Lighter tyres or dieting might be more cost effective than the $500 for circa 300 grams.

I stuck with the crossrides for now - training wheels -

The kenda's review out great, are there other tires you'd recommend over these? I live in the dry dusty rocky socal zone.

I am hoping to get in shape with this new rig!!! pounds off the mainframe - cheaper -healthier! "The rig" is definitely leaner than me
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    in the 22.? build thread there is mention of a much lighter kenda - around 300gms worth. The standard ones are good though - certainly worth using up and worth extra calories on the initial uphills

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    I picked up a thorn and a flat on the front, so have gone with a lighter front tube with a nifty kevlar strip between the tire and tube..

much lighter kenda's - I was looking at the nevegal sidewall, and it seems light, must be in the treaded part, which seems fairly hvy duty..

any point in going wider tire wise up front? bike seems squirmy in the sand - is this tire or geometry?

bike is an excellent fat degreaser
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!