mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Switch out SL-R for HD?

Looking for some advice on whether or not i should switch out my SL-R for a HD.

So i've had my SL-R for 3 weeks or so and have been really enjoying it. It's my one bike for everything; i live in a 400 sq ft studio so don't have room for a quiver!

However change is a foot - i'm going to be moving up to Vancouver (from Seattle) later this summer. When i got the SL-R i was on the fence between it and the HD, but now i'm thinking that i want the added versitility of the HD. I like being able to switch out the fork, the burlier frame would work better up at Whistler, and the slacker angles are more descent oriented.

I've thought about getting a second bike, but i can't really justify it given i just got the SLR. Also, I think there's something to be said for having one bike that you can do everything on, and know really well.

So my questions:

- Could i just switch out my XT build kit onto a HD frame? I know the HD doesn't have a direct mount front derailleur so i'd need to switch that up. Any other issues - with the 2x10 setup maybe?

- Are the HD 140 and 160 frames identical bar the rear shock mounts?

- How much would be reasonable to sell my sl-r frame for? Large in nearly new condition, with Fox float 32 140. Or should i just list the whole bike and start over...

Or, am i being ridiculous and should i just stick with the SL-R and stop second guessing myself?

Commit or eat sh!t
    HD is not really suited for Whistler unless you make wholesale changes. I would get a dedicated DH bike for Whistler. And then maybe beef up your SLR with better tires, etc for North Shore.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_O View Post
    - Could i just switch out my XT build kit onto a HD frame? I know the HD doesn't have a direct mount front derailleur so i'd need to switch that up. Any other issues - with the 2x10 setup maybe?

- Are the HD 140 and 160 frames identical bar the rear shock mounts?

- How much would be reasonable to sell my sl-r frame for? Large in nearly new condition, with Fox float 32 140. Or should i just list the whole bike and start over...

Or, am i being ridiculous and should i just stick with the SL-R and stop second guessing myself?
    HD does have direct mount FD, since mid 2011.
    Frames are identical between 140 and 160.
    HD kills at Whistler and surrounding areas. It may not be suited for doing the massive drops, but will work for 95% of the riding in the area. A DH bike will only be useful at the bike park or places you shuttle. I'll be there with my HD in 2 months. The only reason I ever walked anything was due to lack of skills and balls. There is more to Whister than the DH runs.

For your limited space, I would get a beefy fork, shock, and wheelset to run in 160 mode and swap as necessary. For that matter, I rode Whistler 3 years ago on my Mojo C with a Lyrik up front and had no complaints. The slacker HD angles are much more fun there.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Funny I'm thinking about going to a SL-R from my HD.

I ride cross-country with my HD all the time everything from 25-70km rides. On downhills it rides really nice, it's stiff, and reliable. But it's not a downhill bike! On flowy stuff it really shines, but in major chop it gets overwhelmed. It's probably the RP23, but the amount I ride I couldn't do a coil.

So if I went to a SL-R it would improve my ride 75% of the time but those moments that I want to have fun on the way down I would miss the HD. So you may find that going to the HD.